The Lay of Angor by Rae Andrew

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Normandie

The Lay of Angor by Rae Andrew

Post by Normandie »

"Think of JRR Tolkien, add a smattering of Terry Pratchett and a frisson of smouldering sex and you have the essence of this book. The king of Gondarlan needs a suitor for his spoilt brat of a daughter and up steps Sol-Lios and his warriors of Angor. Tattooed, chain-smoking and sexually amoral to the last one of them; but that's where the comparisons with today's sub-culture ends. These race of warror men and women are skilled, courageous and highly educated individuals. The clash of cultures inevitably leads to friction with the old-school natives but as in all the best stories, good prevails over evil and we end the first saga on a happy note. Looks like there are more episodes planned for down the line so watch out for the second book."

mrs archer

Re: The Lay of Angor by Rae Andrew

Post by mrs archer »

thanks, normandie - couldn't have wished for a better reaction! :*

any uk members wanting a copy, drop me a pm or email her.story@hotmail.co.uk - i'll gladly post you a signed first edition for £11 inc post & packing, which is probably cheaper than you'll get it elsewhere. (at £12.99, it did come out a lot more expensive than i'd hoped... saving grace is that proceeds go towards a good cause, the publisher being a social enterprise which supports people with mental health problems).

alternatively you can download an e-book for a fiver from the publisher's website http://www.chipmunkapublishing.com - it's also on amazon and the book depository, or if you want to order it from your local bookshop, the isbn's 978-1-84991-492-5... finally, if you'd like to try before you buy, you can sample the first chapter on my website http://www.helencox-herstorywriting.co.uk .
tant le desieree

lemonsherbet

Post by lemonsherbet »

This novel introduces us to the spoilt (but quite likeable!) daughter of the King of Gondarlan, the court, servants and the people of Gondarlan as well as the suitor for the Princess - Jehan and his Angorian entourage (whose way of life is very different from that of the Gondarlans). When the Angorians arrive for their visit there are clashes of cultures and various liaisons that are developed throughout the book. There were lots of new names to pick up quickly but once I’d read a few chapters it became easier! I bought the book at the beginning of a very busy week and initially let myself read a few chapters ONLY after a given amount of work but found myself looking forward to being able to curl up with this novel without interruptions! Once my ‘real life’ work was done I found I didn’t want to stop reading, especially looking forward to the appearances of favourite characters – I loved reading about the ‘ladies’ of The Mermaid – dubious reputations but definitely tarts with hearts! :inlove: The book is very amusing in parts and quite racy in others and introduces people and places that I look forward to knowing more about in the next book.

lemonsherbet

Post by lemonsherbet »

And the revised second edition is now available:

special offer for uk customers: buy a signed copy of 'gondarlan' directly from the author, at the special launch price of £6 plus £1.50 p+p! email her.story@hotmail.co.uk to place your order.

An even better read at that price ;-)

Helen Cox

Post by Helen Cox »

it's also available from www.YPD-books.com, waterstone's and amazon. :D