Ironclad-DVD release-July 11th

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

levyarcher

Ironclad-DVD release-July 11th

Postby levyarcher » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Ironclad – Review

The film is based around the Siege of Rochester Castle in 1215 (Oct-Dec) where a band of rebels held out against a much larger force led by King John.

It’s very much The Magnificent Seven do Medieval England, with the initial scenes depicting the men being encouraged to join the band and then making their way to Rochester castle. The role of “Chris” in this instance is Baron Albany (Brian Cox) and the role of “Vin” is Marshall (James Purefoy) who led the cast well.

The CGI effects are excellent for the most part and it gives the viewer a reasonable idea as to how England may have looked in the early 13th Century.

There was no expense spared on the special effects when it comes to the combat, the make-up artists must have had their hands full as all the combat scenes are full of blood, guts, gore, flying limbs and bodies generally being hacked to pieces. It is probably a lot more authentic looking, in the terms of the combat scenes, than the majority of films that have gone before. The only thing that lets the combat scenes down for me is the “shaky Cam” which serves to confuse and blur the images (think Transformers 2).

The film is based on an actual event, there was a siege of Rochester Castle in 1215 by King John and his army, King John did build siege engines to pound the walls with rock and he did undermine the Castle Walls and then later the Keep Tower itself to gain entry. He also used the fat of pigs to help the fires under the Keep.
But that is about where fact and fiction take a different path.

The film was overly long, spoilt by the “love interest” of Marshall (James Purefoy) & Lady Isobel (Kate Mara), and the historical inaccuracies are too long to list here!

However, I have to admit that I did enjoy the film, something to just sit back with a beer in hand and enjoy - well as long as you aren’t squeamish.

Jason O’Keefe

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Re: Ironclad-DVD release-July 11th

Postby Martin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:31 pm

I didn't know it was based on the siege, I saw it was Rochester castle, and the long shots showing the castle and surrounding countryside were ace, about halfway through I realised, what it was about and was thoroughly entertained, the danish armour though, with the fur, that I had trouble sitting through without muttering :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

levyarcher

Postby levyarcher » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:10 pm

very loosely based on the sige,lol
The film showed about 20 defenders, there were over 100 defenders (supposedly) and it took 2 months before the siege was ended, when the defenders surrendered due to lack of food.

Biro
Post Centurion

Postby Biro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:16 am

Watched it last night.. as said, ok to sit back and watch with a beer.

Annoyed the crap out of me though when I watched the 'extras' and an interview had the director talking about the amount of historical research done to get the look right (It even showed a Mac bible pic at the start, so I was hopefull).. Then they fell into the usual trap of dressing all the commoners in leather waistcoats and hoods and making the danes look like fantasy vikings.

gossip

Postby gossip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't really say I found it very historically correct and researched, but you know the stereotypes that these movies usually fall into when it comes to pre-war and post-war (as well as during war) situations, especially if nobody from the film crew has ever been there.
Last edited by gossip on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Balls to historical accuracy, it's got some of the best prosthetic effects I've ever seen in a film. Thoroughly enjoyably messy combat sequences.

"I never said that I was here to help."

romeowhiskeyone

Postby romeowhiskeyone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Paul Giamatti's rants as King John were incredible. I very much enjoyed the film. Its not perfect by a long shot but better than a lot of stuff out there.

David Webb

Postby David Webb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 pm

I enjoyed the film even with the historical accuracy problems. The only thing that really got to me was the fight scenes. The film had some great choreographed sword fights but it seemed to be all botched during the editing so that you could hardly see what was happening. I think the film industry calls this shaky-cam, some people may like it but too much of it can ruin a film. Even with this it was still nice to see a good English made medieval action film, I hope there is more in the future.

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”