Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 3337
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:35 pm

Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat May 22, 2010 12:26 pm

A novelisation by David Coe based upon the screenplay by Brian Helgeland.
This is the book of the film, the one with Russel "knock a man down with a phone" Crowe.
Strangley all the naffness that I allowed to ride over my head while atching the movie annoyed the Hell out of me while reading the book.
Mostly because the writing is crap.
It was not so much the historical inaccuracies but the sheer inanity of some of the description. For instance no-one draws a sword, they all draw their "war swords", no-one uses a spear they all use "battle spears".
Presumably these are different to the soft tickly swords and spears that got used at other times. Whatever, it got on my goat. As did the mystic pagan stuff. I know that stories like those of Robin Hood and King Arthur get re-told to meet the desires of each generation but where does all the stuff about Robin and Marion (and even Friar Tuck!) being symapathtic or actively promoting worship of the old Saxon or Celtic gods come from?
Watch the movie, burn the book.


OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Gail Horn
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:53 pm
Location: Not sure if I'm even on this planet...

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Gail Horn » Sun May 23, 2010 9:09 am

I've read the book and not seen the film; the book has totally put me off the film... Rubbish!


My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

User avatar
Sir Thomas Hylton
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:40 am
Location: NR Burton upon Trent
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Mon May 24, 2010 12:27 pm

Cannot say I would want to read the book, especially after your review of it Marcus,

However,

I've seen the film which was entertaining & actually nodded shall we say towards the history of the time, even if it was inaccurate, at least Magna Carta was introduced in a way, Eleanor of Aquitaine did feature, though again we are left scratching our heads somewhat.

There were things in the film that really irritated me,others that amused me.
We certainly enjoyed playing spot the accent for Robin.

Mr Crowe had tried to do Yorkshire, though his choice of subject for reference actually meant he would meander into Lancashire from time to time. One of his Mead drenched comrades at times was either Welsh & then other times possibly Irish, Mr Crowe would drop into that accent, he even during one scene tried at a Northeast accent momentarily & for a fraction of a second was convincing, before he drifted towards yet another :lol:

Though give him his due he did try & get down an English or shall we say British accent, just wish he'd chosen just one, though we'd have been robbed spot the accent.

As good as generally some of the outfits were, it was inevitable someone would be wearing Lycra, it was inevitable some of the armour; Okay a lot of the armour, especially helmets would give or take be 300 years either side of the time.
Not even going to mention the landing craft or the battle that never actually happened, though I suppose could have if history had been different. Did make fore some entertainment. But what possessed Ridley Scott to have a bunch of kids in masks on ponies taking part in the battle, get real Ridley, I expect better than that. That really was naff.

As I say film entertaining, but book...? why would we feel the need of a book of the film? If the film had been based on a book, then & only then might I have been tempted.



User avatar
chrisanson
Post Centurion
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Dudley
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby chrisanson » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm

spots a gap in the market for "battle spears" :wink:



Hobbitstomper
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:04 pm

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Hobbitstomper » Tue May 25, 2010 11:42 am

Battle spears are different to hunting spears. The Romans confiscated all the battle spears and only allowed the Keltic tribes hunting spears for sporting purposes. Hunting spears are designed to be used on boar and squirrels. If you look in dark age illustrations you will see that all the spears all have pins or wings just behind the heads. This is to stop a wounded animal from forcing its way up to the hunter and goring/biting him to death.

Until the Vikings and their more civilised Norman successors turned up, all the spears in Britain were hunting spears. The fact battle spears are used in Robin Hood indicates the link with the pre-Roman/Keltic way of life. If you make them, battle spears should have no wings and be decorated with Keltic knotwork.




User avatar
Medicus Matt
Post Knight
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue May 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Hobbitstomper wrote:Battle spears are different to hunting spears. The Romans confiscated all the battle spears and only allowed the Keltic tribes hunting spears for sporting purposes. Hunting spears are designed to be used on boar and squirrels. If you look in dark age illustrations you will see that all the spears all have pins or wings just behind the heads. This is to stop a wounded animal from forcing its way up to the hunter and goring/biting him to death.

Until the Vikings and their more civilised Norman successors turned up, all the spears in Britain were hunting spears. The fact battle spears are used in Robin Hood indicates the link with the pre-Roman/Keltic way of life. If you make them, battle spears should have no wings and be decorated with Keltic knotwork.



S'true. All of it.
Especially the bit about squirrels.


"I never said that I was here to help."

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 3337
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:35 pm

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue May 25, 2010 6:47 pm

And battle pikes and war swords?
Given there are LCT with oars I don't think this is a link with pre Roman britain. And the Normans have been the boss of England for over a hundred years by the time span used by the author.
I'm still of the opinion that it's hyperbole.


OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

User avatar
chrisanson
Post Centurion
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Dudley
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby chrisanson » Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Hobbitstomper wrote:Battle spears are different to hunting spears. The Romans confiscated all the battle spears and only allowed the Keltic tribes hunting spears for sporting purposes. Hunting spears are designed to be used on boar and squirrels. If you look in dark age illustrations you will see that all the spears all have pins or wings just behind the heads. This is to stop a wounded animal from forcing its way up to the hunter and goring/biting him to death.

Until the Vikings and their more civilised Norman successors turned up, all the spears in Britain were hunting spears. The fact battle spears are used in Robin Hood indicates the link with the pre-Roman/Keltic way of life. If you make them, battle spears should have no wings and be decorated with Keltic knotwork.



you sure you dont mean british iron age and not 'celtic? i mean if yo was occupying you wouldnt want a sh** load of uncivilized british mongruls pokin ya woth battle spears now would ya? oh and keltic knotwork?



User avatar
Medicus Matt
Post Knight
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 pm

chrisanson wrote:

you sure you dont mean british iron age and not 'celtic? i mean if yo was occupying you wouldnt want a sh** load of uncivilized british mongruls pokin ya woth battle spears now would ya? oh and keltic knotwork?


Don't argue with the man. If anyone knows all about, it's Smeagol. Not only has he studied every pictorial manuscript on the subject (AND found conclusive evidence that most of them are actually reworked/vandalised Keltic original documents), he's also been inducted into the mysteries of how to 'read' the special magykal, Keltical moon-silver knotwork decorations to be found on most of the most precious battle-spears (the majority of which have been proved to be of pre-Roman druidical manufacture which accounts for their survival to this day whilst almost all of the stuff made afterwards is now just so much rusty crap).


"I never said that I was here to help."

User avatar
chrisanson
Post Centurion
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Dudley
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby chrisanson » Tue May 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:
chrisanson wrote:

you sure you dont mean british iron age and not 'celtic? i mean if yo was occupying you wouldnt want a sh** load of uncivilized british mongruls pokin ya woth battle spears now would ya? oh and keltic knotwork?


Don't argue with the man. If anyone knows all about, it's Smeagol. Not only has he studied every pictorial manuscript on the subject (AND found conclusive evidence that most of them are actually reworked/vandalised Keltic original documents), he's also been inducted into the mysteries of how to 'read' the special magykal, Keltical moon-silver knotwork decorations to be found on most of the most precious battle-spears (the majority of which have been proved to be of pre-Roman druidical manufacture which accounts for their survival to this day whilst almost all of the stuff made afterwards is now just so much rusty crap).



we if you say so, i shall from now on think of him as captain keltical 8-) i might even make a special edition battle spear with original aluminum foil inlay k-not work.



User avatar
Medicus Matt
Post Knight
Posts: 1470
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 pm

It's all a conspiracy you know, concocted by a 2000 year old evil Romano-Anglo-Norman cabal that still operates to this day to discredit all things Keltik, forcing the true heirs to this island's heritage to live in the gods forsaken outer extremities, under the tyranny of them and their lizard overlords.


"I never said that I was here to help."

User avatar
chrisanson
Post Centurion
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Dudley
Contact:

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby chrisanson » Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Medicus Matt wrote:It's all a conspiracy you know, concocted by a 2000 year old evil Romano-Anglo-Norman cabal that still operates to this day to discredit all things Keltik, forcing the true heirs to this island's heritage to live in the gods forsaken outer extremities, under the tyranny of them and their lizard overlords.



is there a secret tattoo? or can any old b**ger join? oh please let there be secret hand shake 8-)



khazadvarn

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby khazadvarn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 am

chrisanson wrote:
Medicus Matt wrote:It's all a conspiracy you know, concocted by a 2000 year old evil Romano-Anglo-Norman cabal that still operates to this day to discredit all things Keltik, forcing the true heirs to this island's heritage to live in the gods forsaken outer extremities, under the tyranny of them and their lizard overlords.



is there a secret tattoo? or can any old b**ger join? oh please let there be secret hand shake 8-)

:D



Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard
Posts: 3337
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:35 pm

Re: Robin Hood-the story behind the legend

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:16 am

Known as the sign of the slip of the wrist.


OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!


Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests