Victorian Farm Christmas

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Master Jarvis

Victorian Farm Christmas

Postby Master Jarvis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 am

I must get out of the habit of reviewing things before they are finished, but:-
I found this really interesting; a continuation of the "Victorian Farm" series (which was also good), it shows the lives of three Victorian Farmers over the christmas period. So far, they have taken in the hay harvest (something that they couldn't do last year) and made 10,000 bricks to restore the forge. Next episode they are holding a christmas dinner for the whole of the Acton Scott Estate.

My personal favourite bit was when Ruth made soap ep1.
If you missed the first two episodes, they can be watched or downloaded online here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pccnn/Victorian_Farm_Christmas_Episode_1/ (Episode One)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pgwn0/Victorian_Farm_Christmas_Episode_2/ (Episode Two)
The next (and last, unfortunately) episode will be on Thursday at 8 on BBC2.

Incidentally, didn't these three (or at least one of them) make a tudor feast thingy at Haddon Hall? Or is that wishful thinking?

I'm not wierd, it's you!

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: Victorian Farm Christmas

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:53 am

I've enjoyed watching this series- the only thing that bugs me is the "they did this on farms of yesteryear" when I can remember similar practices on my granny's, and another family friend's, farms in Kent and Sussex in the mid to late 80s!

Admittedly one of them did stop being a workable farm, and became a farm museum without changing a thing other than to put up some barriers, a few notices and add a tea room.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

robin wood

Postby robin wood » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Master Jarvis wrote:Incidentally, didn't these three (or at least one of them) make a tudor feast thingy at Haddon Hall? Or is that wishful thinking?

Ruth along with the Tudor Group do the event at Haddon.

Badger

Postby Badger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

When is the episode where they use the forge?

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

As of last Friday they'd just finshed restoring the forge, including the oxe blood floor, and so they should actually get to use it in the final episode on Christmas Eve.

I liked the baking the spuds in the brick kiln 8-)
Last edited by Simon Atford on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Jarvis

Postby Master Jarvis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 am

Yes, you're right; next week they are using the forge to make horseshoes for clumper. God I love that horse.

I'm not wierd, it's you!

Wim-Jaap

Postby Wim-Jaap » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:50 am

when will the movies be available outside the UK?

I like living on the edge, it gives a great view over the world!

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Sponsor of Conan: http://www.historyfair.co.uk/conan.html

Master Jarvis

Postby Master Jarvis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm afraid I don't know. I don't think that the catch-up websites are allowed to work outside the UK (probably why you can't get them, if you're abroad) and I don't think that they will ever be.
You could try either Youtube, unofficial sites like tv.com, or filesharing. Don't ask me for help, however; it may as well be magic. I just click the little buttons and they do things. And they said that I was a member of the techno generation. (My IT teacher despairs.)
On top of this, any unofficial video site is illegal. It's like copying DVDs, because you are breaking copyright laws. Or something.
So you probably could get it, but its legally questionable and confusing.

Alternatively, wait for one of the endless repeats. There should be one approximately every twelve seconds come the New Year. Try More4, if you can get it.

I'm not wierd, it's you!

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:36 am

Wim-Jaap wrote:when will the movies be available outside the UK?

You could get the DVD. Not released yet but pre-orders are being taken on the BBC website and probably via other retailers.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Phil the Grips wrote:I've enjoyed watching this series- the only thing that bugs me is the "they did this on farms of yesteryear" when I can remember similar practices on my granny's, and another family friend's, farms in Kent and Sussex in the mid to late 80s!

Admittedly one of them did stop being a workable farm, and became a farm museum without changing a thing other than to put up some barriers, a few notices and add a tea room.

You should worry! When I was working on the farm as a kid we were still using most of these techniques and were still doing so when I went to university in the 90's! :o We even had one field that we couldn't get a tractor up to so we used the shires for the heavy work and did the rest by hand. (It was quite an event in the village cause it was all hands to the pumps.) Mind, from what I've seen, northumbrian farmers have always been a little reluctant to change something that they know works. :D

I'm really enjoying this series as well. Loved the clog dancing to flatten the floor of the forge. Wonder if the neighbours would accept that as an excuse for my clogging practice....

Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:30 pm

The old series is currently showing on Yesterday or one of the other Sky channels. You could try viewing that way?

It's a good series, but as someone else said, I know of farms here in East Yorkshire still very much working to the old ways.

K

Christabel

Postby Christabel » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:59 pm

We have had lots of (sad) fun spotting when their 'Christmas' was filmed. 4 foot high nettles standing where the Christmas tree is felled, lots of green leaves on the trees when they go shopping in Ironbridge... Twelve days? Twelve months! Those Victorians knew how to party... :D

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”