Geoffrey Richardson The Popinjays

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Geoffrey Richardson The Popinjays

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:01 pm

A history of the Woodville family and an account of their involvement in English history during the late medieval age. Baildon Books, 2000, ISBN 0-9527621-3-7
Like Millwall and gerkins everyone hates the Woodvilles and given his pro-Ricardian stance it came as no shock to find that Mr Richardson is the same.
No attempt at all is made to present the Woodville family in any redeeming manner, indeed the author admits that his main source of material he had at hand he ignores because he doesn't agree with it.
And this is where all Richardson's books fall down for me.
I actually don't give a sh** about Lancaster or York and although there are re-enactors aplenty he take up the "cause" they are portraying be that Parliament, good King Richard whatever I'm not one of these poor souls.
That said I do expect some relativity in bias in a history book, and when that isn't there I expect to be able to look up the sources the author used in order to find them and then make up my own mind. Because Geoffrey Richardson is a writing only what he wants and not a professional academic I cannot do that with his work and that frustrates me.
To be honest after being told by so many WOTR re-enactors at events that his work was the dogs B***cks and NEEDED my attention I feel short changed and worried about just how much research these individuals have done into the subject. I learnt nothing new at all.
The flowery language, while beautiful and quite touchingly endearing, really belongs in a historical novel, a bodice ripper in fact, and the half baked conspiracy theories also belong in a work of fiction.
There is as much hard fact and genuine historical relevence in this, The Lordly Ones and A Pride of Bastards as there is in Sunne in Splendour and The Seventh Son (and no where near as much as in Ash!)
A lovely man no doubt, may God hold him safe, but a dismal historian.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Ghost

Re: Geoffrey Richardson The Popinjays

Postby Ghost » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:48 pm

To be honest after being told by so many WOTR re-enactors at events that his work was the dogs B***cks and NEEDED my attention I feel short changed and worried about just how much research these individuals have done into the subject.

did not the fact that the said re-enactors were all members of the Riii Soc not make you suspicious?

"Tell your masters that Englishmen do not surrender" - Thomas Beaufort, Earl of Dorset to French Herald; Valmont, 1416.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:49 pm

You know there might be something in that. :D

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

GOK

Postby GOK » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:17 am

I did warn you, Marcus! :lol:

Allan Harley

Postby Allan Harley » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:36 am

As always if you rely on one source then biase or mistakes will occur

At least with Richardsson, K endall (and quite a few others0 you know they are biased

Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:57 am

Although Mr Richardson makes it clear that his one major source work was descarded by him because it presented a "conventional view of the disappearence of the Princes" and painted the Woodville family as being pretty much like everyone else and not limbs of Satan.
Even historians who are not as pro-Ricardian as the author here is tend to accept the line that the Woodvilles were all greedy grasping scum. Though how this makes them any different from any of the other magnates of the time is something I am unsure of.
Nor am I sure what else was expected of Edward IV, he would have had to promote the Woodvilles in some way with or without prompting from his wife otherwise he would have looked like a pauper king. I also believe it suited him to have a rival faction in court to balance the power of the Nevilles and his brothers, but what do I know.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”