The Lordly Ones

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

The Lordly Ones

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:42 am

A history of the Neville family and their part in the Wars of the Roses by Geoffrey Ricardson. ISBN 0-9527621-2-9, Baildon Books 1998.
Obviously his treatment is a little more friendly because for half the time half the Neville family were Yorkist supporters. The reason for the treachery of half the family and the fact that the other half supported an evil Lancastrian usurper being laid at the Geoff's utter hatred of the Beauforts. You see the younger branch that went into kingmaking had nasty beaufort blood in it.
The fact that the older line was equally happy to be reconcilled and then turn traitor when it suited them is quietly swept under the carpet.
It's quite something to read a book that is so biased, I'm touched by the late authors total belief in the rightousness of "his" Yorkist cause, Edward IV comes across a little less than a titan. How I wish my tutors at uni had accepted "many and varied" as a list of sources. :cry:
I'm going to read the Popinjays soon-I betting he won't like them much.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

GOK

Postby GOK » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm going to read the Popinjays soon-I betting he won't like them much.

Having known Geoffrey, I can vouch for his loathing of "That Wydeville woman and her ilk"!!

And of Margaret Beaufort, John Morton et al (have you read The Deceivers?)!

I've also read his books (well, four of them!) and yes, you're right, it's pretty obvious who finds favour with him and who doesn't. Still, a similar attitude the other way made Alison Weir a lot of money.... :wink:

In Geoffrey's defence though, he was very passionate about what he believed to be true, and was an absolutely lovely man. A real gentleman too. He used to send me e-cards on Valentine's day!

I think it must be quite a difficult thing to remain completely impartial when writing about any subject close to the heart. And even if you manage to do so, there's no guarantee that your readers won't find some bias or other in your words!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 am

Ah the Woodvilles are like Millwall FC. Everbody hates us but we don't care.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

GOK

Postby GOK » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:55 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Ah the Woodvilles are like Millwall FC. Everbody hates us but we don't care.

I have no knowledge of this thing ye call foote-balle! :lol:

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”