richard iii, the maligned king

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

mrs archer

Postby mrs archer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:10 pm

huzzah! this new book by annette carson is well worth reading. a sympathetic reappraisal that'll cheer us ricardians as much as it'll get all you tudor apologists foaming at the mouth and twitching apoplectically. £20, hardback, nice pics (including being 1st book to show the recently restored portrait on the cover), good critical review of primary sources, available from the history press or amazon. read and enjoy - i did!

knight1066

Postby knight1066 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:19 am

What more can this book say about this hunchbacked child murdering usurper

Only joking I like a good Richard the third.

Death before dishonour...... The battlefield awaits
Mortis Priusquam Inhonesto Acies Exspecto

mrs archer

Postby mrs archer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:53 am

me too - either in the sense of 'richard iii was a good bloke', or 'that's a good book on richard iii', like michael k. jones' terrific 'bosworth 1485'!

seriously, carson has some interesting and thought-provoking ideas to offer. her explanation of when, why and how richard decided to pursue the throne for himself (ie other than 'because he was a black-hearted villain') struck me as both reasonable and highly plausible, with a workable chronology and understandable motivations on behalf of the people involved... and her demolition of the truly pathetic, grossly subjective examinations of the alleged princes' bones from the tower of london is very refreshing to read.

anyhow, believe her or not, like the book or not, it does have some new perspectives on a very well-worn subject... £20 well spent, in my view.

tant le desieree

knight1066

Re: richard iii, the maligned king

Postby knight1066 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:50 pm

either in the sense of 'richard iii was a good bloke', or 'that's a good book on richard iii', like michael k. jones' terrific 'bosworth 1485'!

Both, Richard being a good bloke, however I really do need to get a copy of the book to read before making further comments about it.........!

As we all know Richard was much maligned by Shakespeare as Tudor propaganda. Although our favourite Bard could do no other for fear of losing his head should he tell the truth. Henry Henry Mary and Elizabeth were a brutal lot to anyone who disagreed with them. Little Edward however, could be excused, as after all he was only a child and a puppet king to be manipilated by the establishment.........Well thats how I see it

Death before dishonour...... The battlefield awaits

Mortis Priusquam Inhonesto Acies Exspecto

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 am

I don't think he was remotely 'maligned' by Shakespeare. Shakespeare was merely using Holinshead as a source and reflected the sources he had to hand. Plus he had to be politically 'careful'. I don't understand why 'historians' can never figure that out when GCSE English kiddies probably know it. :lol:

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Shakespears kings is a good book to read if you are interested in such things.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”