Books about women in the late medieval period (14th/15thc)

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Books about women in the late medieval period (14th/15thc)

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:19 pm

I would like to expand my knowledge and reading by studying more deeply the role of women in the ate middle ages. so far i have only read about the very exceptional such as Queen Consort Elizabeth, Margaret Beaufort, Margaret Kemps, Anne Neville, Margaret d' Anjoi and Blessed Saint Jeanne. I wonder if anyone of you kind people could direct me towards a good book or two about the fairer but certainly not weaker sex? Many thanks in advance.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Mad Mab

Postby Mad Mab » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:30 pm

I have a book at home called Medieval Maidens Something or other which I shall try and remember to get the proper title and whatnot for tonight.
It's fairly dry but full of interesting bits and pieces about everyday women. I think there may also be a similar book on Medieaval women. Shall have to check.
mab

Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

grahamp

Postby grahamp » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:20 pm

I have had two books which I sold -

MEDIEVAL WOMAN - Village Life in the Middle Ages by Ann Baer - Michael O'Mara Books 1996

Description
Village life in medieval England is brought vividly to life in this glowing portrait of Marion, the carpenter's wife, and her extended family. Based on years of research, Ann Baer evokes the reality of a world that is lost.
Rising before dawn to a day of gruelling hard work, Marion and her husband face the daily struggle for survival. Starvation is never far away, travel to the next village is virtually unheard of, sickness, fire and natural disaster ever threaten to engulf the small, tightly knit community.
But Marion's life is not without its pleasures : cool water from the stream on a hot day, a healthy two-year-old to look after, a handsome shepherd to admire.
At the mercy of the weather and the Lord of the Manor, each equally unpredictable and unescapable, Marion's life is burdensome but also displays an admirable dignity and fortitude in the face of adversity.
The little village is at one with the natural world around it and each member has a role to play and a place in the hierarchy.
Simple people living unrecorded lives in remote villages not on the way to anywhere are brought back into focus in Medieval Woman and, in particular, Ann Baer defines and celebrates the woman, then as now at the heart of the community.

MEDIEVAL WOMEN by Henrietta Leyser - Phoenix Books 2004

Description
Medieval Women looks at a thousand years of English history, as it affected - and was made by - women.
Henrietta Leyser considers the problems and attitudes fundamental to every woman of the time: medieval views on sex, marriage and motherhood; the world of work and the experience of widowhood for peasant, townswoman and aristocrat. The intellectual and spiritual worlds of medieval women are also explored. Based on an abundance of research from the last twenty-five years, Medieval Women celebrates the diversity and vitality of English women's lives in the Middle Ages.

nihil amanti durum

Vira Chalich Tabor!!!

Ellen Gethin

Postby Ellen Gethin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:32 pm

Julian of Norwich? She was an anchoress at St Julian's church in Norwich (no-one knows her real name) and she wrote the first book by a woman in English - her Revalations of Divine Love.
She gave spiritual advice to Margery Kempe, though how she managed to get Margery to stop talking is a mystery!

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:41 pm

The Trotula Texts, we don't actually know if they were written by a woman, but they were certainly believed to have been and promoted as the work of Trotula, who was a female doctor trained at Salerno. Very useful for looking at the role of women in medicine and also medicine for women.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Vez

Postby Vez » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:13 am

I like studying the role of women in society. You can bring up several hundred books on Amazon my searching for ' medieval women' . Thats why my wish list is several pages long.

Theotherone

Postby Theotherone » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 am

Jean Plaidy (you seemed to get on with her, judging by one of your reviews) wrote "The Goldsmith's Wife" about Jane Shore and I noticed a few more books about her on Amazon the other day.

Because there would have to be three of them.

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”