The Princes in the Tower.

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

The Princes in the Tower.

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:52 am

Alison Weir. ISBN 0-7126-7379-2 Pimlico Pubs. Well as you know AlisonWeir is someone who would never let being a anti-Ricardian Yorkist hater get in the way with subjectivly researching and presenting the subject. Therefore you'll be no doubt surprised that she concludes that it was the Butler that did it, with a candlestick, in the library.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:53 am

Oh, it's about the two wee boys who were or were not murdered in the Tower of London, by the way.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Theotherone

Postby Theotherone » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:56 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Oh, it's about the two wee boys who were or were not murdered in the Tower of London, by the way.

And mentions in passing other wee boys who may or may not... which was also interesting

Because there would have to be three of them.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Sush don't tell anyone. You know nothing, understand? :wink:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jim Smith

Postby Jim Smith » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 pm

A few years back an American writer called Bartram Fields produced a book called 'Royal Blood'. Fields makes no secret of the fact that he is no historian - instead he approaches the case from his own personal job perspective, that of a lawyer. Fields assesses the facts of the case as if he were preparing a prosecution file. He castigates Weir for making up facts when she can't find any and twisting those she has to fit her own virulently anti-Ricardian stance. Worth a read...

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:41 am

Heh look down and you'll find I've reviewed that as well. regular bookworm me. :wink:

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Vez

Postby Vez » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:15 am

I'll dig that one out for reading then. When I finished Weirs book I remember being quite hot under the collar......

Just ordered it to take on Honeymoon.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:21 am

It's the lack of objectivity that upsets me (just look at the secondary sources and what she has to say about those who have written on the subject). I happen to believe her conclusion but it's the way she arrives at it. further more I beleive the poor weans were doomed from the moment he took control of them. If he hadn't done them in and Buckingham had "inheirited" them in 1484 he would have done them in just as Tudor would have if he had found them alive in 1485 (hey that rhymed). They were just too big a threat to whatever "establishment" came into being.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Vez

Postby Vez » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 pm

I agree, they were introuble as soon as their died.

Managed to read a couple of chapters of Fields book... before i left it at Mombasa airport....

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”