Yet more Mediaeval Tiles!

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

Joolz

Post by Joolz »

Here's my latest creations, hot from the kiln.

The White Hart is taken from an original tile.

The Pig & Pipes is from a misericord in Beverley Minster (I think) and there is a companion tile Pig & Harp which is a supporter on a misericord and has yet to be glaze fired.

There are more to come later in the week.....

I have decided to take the plunge, and will be sharing a stall with Steve "Green Man Potter" at the Chopwell Forest Festival (nr. Gateshead) this weekend (shameless plug) so, if you are there, please give me a shout!

Regards,

Joolz
Attachments
031C Early Tudor Rose.JPG
226C Pig & Pipes.JPG
029C White Hart.JPG

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

that’s good stuff, I hope you do well.
If these examples are anything to go by you will :wink:
Vhris

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

should read Chris :oops:

Chris

Joolz

Post by Joolz »

Cheers Chris - as with any situation where you create something that appeals to your own aesthetic sensitivities, you can never be certain that other people will appreciate it too, much less dip into their pockets and spend their money on it. This whole craft fair business is new to me, and full of risk (although I have a day job to fall back on), but at this early stage I'm just pleased to know that what I do has some artistic merit, and I'm trying not to get too stressed about it all!

Anyway, here's a few more tiles.

The Hart & Hound is honey glazed and a copy of a well known original tile (although my photo does it little justice - too much glare).

The Pig & Harp goes with the one in my last post.

The decorative ones I did just for the effect - I would love to do a whole floor like this (anyone building a 14th century cathedral out there?).
Attachments
035C Decorative Tile 1.jpg
036C Decorative Tile 2.jpg
227C Pig & Harp.jpg

Joolz

Post by Joolz »

You'd have thought I would have got the hang of this by now....only three tiles can be posted at a time....

Here's the Hart and Hound...
Attachments
030H Hart & Hound.jpg

BraveAnimal

Post by BraveAnimal »

I love these!! especially the animal ones!
Image Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Yer pig harpist is a good one, though I'm sure I recognise the ugly git from somwhere. (And I don't mean my local before youse are saying the such!)
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Joolz

Post by Joolz »

Cheers Marcus, BraveAnimal

BraveAnimal - If you're into animals, especially horses, here's a couple of my woodcarvings.

The Oak Chess Knight is 9 inches high and a tester piece for a commission I did for a Chess/Horse lover. The Zebrano Chess Knight is 12 inches high and my interpretation of a 17th C chess piece in one of the best pieces of Zebra Wood I have ever come across.

The Brawn of Brancepeth, according to local legend, was a great wild boar (brawn) with a particularly disagreeable disposition, who terrorised the local area (around Brancepeth Castle, Durham) in the Middle Ages before being "pacified" by Sir Ferry (of Ferryhill), the local knight. He (supposedly) gave Brancepeth it's name (Brawn's Path).

This one is in local Oak, with horn tusks, and is around 8 inches long by 4 inches high. Unfortunately, he doesn't look very fierce!
Attachments
Brancepeth Brawn (Oak).jpg
Chess Knight (Zebrano).jpg
Chess Knight (Oak).jpg

Frances Perry

Post by Frances Perry »

Just LOVE the pig and pipes! So cute!!
http://www.medievalartandwoodcraft.com

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.” Achille Marozzo, 1536

Joolz

Pig & Pipes

Post by Joolz »

Cheers Frances,

Here's the original misericord I took the design from (Ripon cathedral, not Beverley as I said earlier). It's in reverse, as the tile is made using a carved mould, which was the right way round - you have to be careful about that, although in this instance it works either way round!

Joolz
Attachments
Pig & Pipes Original.jpg