A couple of recent projects.

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

A couple of recent projects.

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Couple of things I've finished in the last week. The first is a new 6th/7th century sheath for my old seax, utilising the 'slit sheath' suspension method of the Groningen sheath and belt reinforcement plates from Dover Buckland. Knowing exactly how late Migration/early medeival seax sheaths is a bit of a mystery; one sheath might have buckles on it but no corresponding belt fittings, another has this style of belt plate but no metal fittings on the seax sheath. I wanted to make something that utilised available evidence to produce something that worked well, which this does. The addition of a pair of Risely Horton style beads from Tillerman through which the hanging strap passes gives a means for adjusting the angle of the sheath and allows it to be easily removable.

Work well.

seax_169.jpg

The second is the scabbard I've just finished for Paul Mortimer, he of the stunning 'Raedwald' kit. It's for his new 'Mound 1' Sutton Hoo sword and is probably the most 'authentic' (in terms of method and materials) scabbard I've made to date.
Rather than routing out the wooden core to create a cavity for the sword, it's made from a pair of poplar lathes, 2mm thick, which are formed around the blade and glued. It's lined internally with beaver fur (which is what the site report inidcates was used) and covered with thin, oak tanned veg tan which has foundation moulded over cord and leather to create the design (which is taken from the contemporaneous Valsgarde 6 scabbard).
The dye is made from kermes, wood ash and water, sealed with an oil/wax mix.
pm1_398.jpg

pm2_177.jpg

"I never said that I was here to help."

Captain Reech

Re: A couple of recent projects.

Postby Captain Reech » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:14 pm

That scabbard is gorgeous Matt, really superb work.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 pm

fantastic!

Do you have a good source for Kermes at the moment? I keep having to substitute Cochineal but would love to get some of the real thing

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:33 pm

sally wrote:fantastic!

Do you have a good source for Kermes at the moment? I keep having to substitute Cochineal but would love to get some of the real thing

I brought some back with me from Libya but I've used most of them up with experimenting I'm afraid.

Treaty Money

Postby Treaty Money » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

Is it Kermes? Or Ararat Cochineal? IE, was the parasite beetle from the Oak tree or the type which you can only harvest in September when they come out of the ground to reproduce?
The little critters look very similar and produce very similar colours with a Potash Alum mordant.

I was promised some Kermes from a researcher at the Turkish Cultural ministry a while ago, but the stuff never materialised... Suppose the next stop is the Libyan dye industry :(

PS - you do know you can dry out the kermes dyestuff and use it over and over again until it is exhausted??

Claire Marshall - Archaeologist, Musician, Archaeological Textiles researcher

www.plateau-imprints.co.uk

http://york.academia.edu/ClaireMarshall

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Treaty Money wrote:Is it Kermes? Or Ararat Cochineal? IE, was the parasite beetle from the Oak tree or the type which you can only harvest in September when they come out of the ground to reproduce?

Oak parasites. I've seen the trees the came from.
I might not be able to tell the difference between kermes and cochineal but I can definately tell the difference between trees and cactii.

Treaty Money

Postby Treaty Money » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:24 pm

I really wish I could get some of that stuff... I suppose you really have to be in the right place at the right time :(

Ps- Forgot to say congrats on the scabbard, it is stunning... I'd love to see the sword that goes with it.

PPS - I think you'll really like the new addition i've made for you for this weekend ;)

Claire Marshall - Archaeologist, Musician, Archaeological Textiles researcher

www.plateau-imprints.co.uk

http://york.academia.edu/ClaireMarshall

Return to “Creative Works”