BOOM!

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

Joolz

BOOM!

Postby Joolz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 am

Just finished making up another batch of 'Iron Dwarf' Dave's 18thC Grenados. I let them get really rusty to texture the surface (to look like cast iron), then cleaned them up and blackened them. A carved wooden bung and length of blackmatch fuse finishes them off nicely.

Anyone for cricket?

Joolz
Attachments
Grenados 1.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

Corsario

Re: BOOM!

Postby Corsario » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:17 pm

BEUTIFUL!!!
:thumbup:

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Very cool!

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:48 am

Cheers guys,

I have added to my collection of explosive ordnance - I've made some more grenados, but I've also been making 18thC mortar shells. The ones below are 6", all steel (except for fuse, of course) and I have some 8" ones in the pipeline (these are bigger than a human head!!).

Notice how I resisted the urge to write "Acme Bomb Co." on the side - meep, meep!

Now all I need is a Coehorn mortar, so I can take these up to Otterburn artillery ranges and see how far I can lob them!

I also have grapeshot/case shot on the way.....

Joolz
Attachments
6 inch Mortar Shells.JPG
Coehorn 1.jpg

Mickey Mouse is dead!

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 pm

This evening, I just finished stringing some grapeshot (below), the scourge of both cavalry and infantry on the 18thC battlefield.

I've made up some 2" and some 3" - the 2" version has a dozen steel balls of 16mm diameter, and the 3" version has 18 balls of 1" (25mm) diameter. I used a braided cord tensioner, mainly because you can really wind it up nice and tight so there is no movement at all (we can't have any loose balls, can we!), then what is left can be made into a neat crown sinnet 'tail'.

Although they are both 'useable' the 3" version will be for 'show-and-tell' and only the 2" will get propelled down a barrel, hopefully next time I get the chance to shoot up in Otterburn.

Looking forward to seeing how well it works,

Play safe now,

Joolz
Attachments
Grapeshot.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:00 pm

That's horrible! :sick:

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah, it's only when you hold one of these in your hands that you realise just what those poor b*stards marching in line on the field of a Napoleonic/Crimean/Civil War battle had to face. And also just how brave they were, and how well disciplined. And these aren't even as big as some of the more common cannon sizes. It's not something I would ever want to face.......

It's also worth noting that these are effectively half loads ie. you would need to double them up - that's 24 balls for the smaller 1lb load and 36 balls for the 4lb load or, as Gen. Zach Taylor at the battle of Buena Vista (1847) said "Double shot your guns and give them hell". Victor Hugo wrote about grapeshot being used against the barricades in 'Les Miserables'. A scary and horrific, but unfortunately very commonly used, munition.

Joolz

Mickey Mouse is dead!

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Joolz wrote:Now all I need is a Coehorn mortar, so I can take these up to Otterburn artillery ranges and see how far I can lob them!

We fired an original coehorn mortar once at Fort Nelson for a TV job. Shells were toilet cistern ballcock floats filled with cat litter and sprayed black. Only needed a very small charge to achieve lift-off. Air bursts were simulated with a 50mm flak mortar firework.
The gunners who had the job of lighting the shell fuse before fireing the mortar must have had strong nerves.

I have made a number of grenadoes similar to yours. Mine were made from french boules that I got from the factory before they had been engraved with markings. The holes were cut by a local engineering shop and I made the softwood fuses. For demos I packed the hollow fuse with TPL smoke powder or a mix of saltpetre and sugar. Light, toss into a building or long grass and set off a pyro. Looked quite effective.

Liking your work.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 am

John, that seems an awfully complicated and expensive way of making grenados, particularly as you can buy the steel balls, already dressed and pre-drilled, for pennies. They just require cleaning up, a couple of coats of paint, and a bung. Let me know next time you need some and I will sort you out.

I've completed some more grapeshot, and a batch of 8" Coehorn mortar shells - there is a great difference in size (and weight) between them and the 6" version - They look very impressive either side of my mantelpiece (I guess you could even convert them into a table lamp.....with a 'flaming' shade like a grenadiers badge....now there's a project for the winter months....).

Anyway, moving on, I made up some 3" chain shot this weekend, I'll post pics once I've cleaned them up.

Joolz
Attachments
Ordnance.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:45 pm

And here's the chain shot, 3" solid steel balls (for a 4lb cannon). I'm ever-so-tempted to make bar or star shot next......
Attachments
Chain Shot.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

ewelina007

Postby ewelina007 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:16 am

Amazing work, Joolz! Theose pieces look nothing but incredible! Keep it goin'!

''If you want something to happen, then you make it happen. Only you can be the author of your own story.''

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:13 am

Cheers Ewelina - I try my best!

Joolz

Mickey Mouse is dead!

Return to “Creative Works”