Rudis

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

Joolz

Rudis

Postby Joolz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 pm

In the fencing salle the other week, one of my fellow fencers mentioned the idea of toying with some Roman Gladiator-style techniques. But we need one of those wooden training sword thingies, said I. You mean a rudis? said he.

And so the seed was sown and I spent a little time making one (I don't need much of an excuse to start messing about with wood). The blade/grip is one piece of beech with some lovely grain and spalting. The pommel/guard are from a huge chunk of what I believe is Iroko, though I'm not 100%. (It's old and tough, and nicely coloured, which is enough for me!). 'Blade' is 23" long and around just under an inch and a quarter thick. It has a nice weighty balance to it, but frankly, this is not my period at all and I wouldn't know what to look for in a gladius trainer- it just feels 'good'.

Anyway, it'll probably sit around for a while, the idea of Gladiatorial combat in the salle will fizzle out, and I'll have another piece of pretty firewood to polish and wax.......

Joolz
Attachments
Rudis 1.JPG
Rudis 2.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Re: Rudis

Postby Medicus Matt » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:57 pm

That's a lovely rudis! Really nice work. How much?

"I never said that I was here to help."

Joolz

Re: Rudis

Postby Joolz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 am

Thanks MM,

Like most of what I make, I didn't really make this to sell, just for the hell of it and to try stuff out. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and put a lot of time and care into such things, and experience has taught me, over the past 10 years of making stuff, that if I costed things out properly, I would nearly always make a loss! So I just make what I enjoy making, for the challenge, and my house fills up with stuff until I trip over it one too many times and my friends get an unexpected (unwanted?) present......

Joolz

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

Return to “Creative Works”