Copyright

For stories, poems, pictures

Moderator: Moderators

BrendanGrif

Copyright

Post by BrendanGrif »

Hi,
I recently got my hands on a facsimile copy of the I:33 document (and very nice it is).
Anyway, I have 'copied' one of the plates. i.e. I measured a large number of points on the 'original' marked similar points on the page I was using and then joined the dots. After that I have started painting it similar to but not exactly like the original.

My question is this: If I decide that the result of my 'copying' is really great and want to get a print made up of it to give to friends or maybe even sell, where do I stand in terms of copyright law? - I am not photocopying the original and do intend to put 'based on' somewhere in the thing.

Brendan

LucyRose

Post by LucyRose »

Hiya, as far as my knowledge goes, copyright is a funny b**ger.

The minute one creates something, it is the intelectual property of the creator, until siad creator gives away the rights.However, in the current state of the world and business, proof of ownership is needed.

Copyright is dependent on the ownership age. Within 70 years of the death of the creator (check this as it can differ dependent on the media), the copyright becomes devoid and the 'original' is in the public domain - however, this can be 'bought' oir 're-copyrighted/ re-patented' obviously by buying the rights from the owners.

You are usually allowed to sell/give away creative designs and copyright in your 'design' in your own right through explaining that it is 'based upon' and citing the original works. Also, significant alterations and changes can help to show the differing and devloped creative processes. You may be charged 'useage' of an idea if you are making money from something developed from an original if the copyright or license still exists (is in year limit as it were) but that would mean to pay the royalty fee (as it were) to the designer of the original.
However, some patenting/copyright companies may decide that the significant changes and the 'based upon' credit will suffice to allow you to copyright/patent your interpretation and sell on without hassle

Hope this babbling makes it clearer for you!

BrendanGrif

Post by BrendanGrif »

clearer but not clear :)
Thanks!
I will probably settle on making explicit reference to the original on which I based it and tell people that if they have interest in the topic they should definitely buy the book...free advertising should do it :D

Brendan

LucyRose

Post by LucyRose »

Hiya, that should see you right as you aren't claiming exclusive patent.
Copyright's a b**ger and it all depends on age of the original and when the owner shuffled off the mortal coil! respective reference to original designers usually satisfies in these cases as you're not planing on taking over the world with it - or are ye??!!!!!!!!!! :D

BrendanGrif

Post by BrendanGrif »

well, it took me about 3 weeks to get around to finishing one page so my chances of getting an entire document done are pretty slim :)

Taking over the world though..there is an idea

Brendan

Stephen Dobson / Rab

Post by Stephen Dobson / Rab »

Having spoken to the librarian/curator at the Leeds Armouries this weekend (if you weren't at SWASH, you missed out) and [smug mode on] got to handle the original i.33 [/smug mode off], he said that Chivalry bookshelf have exclusive rights to colour reproductions of the manuscript for the next two years which were granted by LA. LA are the cuurent holders of all rights to reproduce, which I guess means photos/photocopies.

I guess that doesn't really help at all, but I'm still so excited at having leafed through the original I had to butt in :roll:

BrendanGrif

Post by BrendanGrif »

and a very nice reproduction it is...
but the original! ... I guess that well and truely justifies butting in.

Brendan

LucyRose

Post by LucyRose »

In that case - armed with that information - you can get hold of chivalry bookshelf and ask them what their license includes. That might help you dcide whether it's worth (or necessary) to request copyright from the current holders, LA

depends what they've registered and 'reproductions' and whether that covers and include interpretations and 'inspirations' from