Need hellp with business plan

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

pinkie

Need hellp with business plan

Post by pinkie »

need hellp with seting up a busineee plan i have not got a clue how to do it so if any one could hellp I would appreciate it

Scraggles

Post by Scraggles »

try the traders section ?

Adam R

Post by Adam R »

Hi,
It's a very important thing and a forum is probably not the best way to discuss it - I would recommend getting in touch with your local Enterprice Agency who will give advice and training on this.
Cheers
Adam
KDF Nottingham
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

JC Milwr

Post by JC Milwr »

Honestly, learn to spell/type and/or use a spell checker correctly, No-one will take you seriously otherwise.
Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Post by Kate Tiler »

Hi Pinkie - I've moved your question to the trader's area - welcome!

Don't mind comments on spelling etc. they've forgotten that some of our most popular posters aren't that hot at dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's, either... :roll:

Business plans are an interesting topic - I've never done one & I've been self employed for about 5 years now, gradually building up my business slowly and developing as & when opportunities arise, but I was lucky in that I had a small pension & supportive partner so I could take things gradually.

I did find that my local business development agency were helpful, they ran one day courses which if you did them all, they led to being able to create a business plan. If you lived in a certain group of postcodes you even got a free £2,000 grant (not a loan!!!) for finishing the series & creating a business plan.

There is usually one business development agency for start-up businesses, you don't need to have started your business yet, or you can be within a couple of years of starting out & they will be the ones to contact. They are all called different names according to where you live, so do a search online with your county area and 'business development' and see what you find.

Although I don't have a plan, I do know they are a good thing to have - I once created a unique artwork (floor tiles...) for a startup restaurant that only survived 6 months after opening, two weeks before it went under the owner was just getting round to doing a plan - far too late! He used £150,000 of his own money & had lovely warm, fuzzy ideas about organic food but no idea how to run a business & it was very sad when it came to a sudden end. If he had gone to a bank for the money they would have wanted to see a plan before they lent him anything like that amount, and it would have been much a more realistic business as a result!

But it was what he needed to do at that stage in his life, and it was a wonderful opportunity for me creatively, so although I ended up not getting paid (valuable business lesson for me too!) it was altogether a worthwhile endeavour.

Have fun! Try approaching other similar businesses for advice - it's surprising how helpful people in seemingly competitive business can be - there may even be some work that they don't want that you could do - or sub-contract for them! I've had loads of work from potters who couldn't face doing certain jobs & who passed people onto me - including a contract that ended up earning me & a friend over £6,000 worth of work between us last year!

love Kate - glad to unwind & chat about something that stretches my head for a change! Hope you don't mind my long post :)
http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

as well as business link, there's a book that covers business plans called 'small business guide' by sara williams - publishe by penguin - that covers them and a ton of other handy stuff.

and the nat west business account pack has a ton of info on it.

other than that, make sure you do your research, know your market inside out and back to front, and that you know the figures.

oh, and that you can justify everything. as in, you estimate that you can sell 'x' amount of prodcut 'y' in the first two years. how do you know that.

business plans are actually really easy to do once you get the right mindset - common sense really.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

And I can lend you my crystal ball!! :D :twisted:
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

JC Milwr

Post by JC Milwr »

*sigh*.

I wasn't sniping about bad spelling, I don't care that much, as a rule, but
you asked for advice on starting a business. If you want to run a successful business you need to be able to communicate effectively. Customers won't take you seriously if your written language isn't to the standard they expect.

On an internet forum it isn't so very important (although many think differently), in business it is very important. Even in small business you have to be able to communicate and clients will just laugh at you if your written communication is of the standard you are using here.

If that's just your forum "style" then that's your choice.

For online stuff, there's plenty of tools to help with this. Firefox have an inline spell checker, which is very helpful, and of course word and the like do too.

If you are still at a stage in written language where dyslexia or another condition is still causing issues, then mention in business communications that you are dyslexic or whatever, which will allow clients/employers/venues/banks etc to cut you some slack.

It doesn't matter how small your business is, if folks don't take you seriously, you won't succeed. (I've been having lectures from my boss about this, he's dyslexic and has been running retail businesses for 20 years. He has found it one hell of a struggle until he started using computers to help him out)
Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

Hi Pinkie
I think that you will find that there is a lot of good advice here even if ,at first, it appears like critiscism (did I spell that right? :evil: ) (or maybe correctly :lol: )

Often posters might be looking here while their computers are occupied in calculations (you have not idea how big my spreadsheets have become) or uploading to a database, and need to give quick answers so that their boss does not see! I was guilty of that on another topic and should have thought how my quick words would have been (mis)taken.

Try and find the advice in everything. You will find our community helpful and sharing although they can get a bit upset if you nick their ideas!!
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

And I can lend you my crystal ball!!

yeah - those come in handy :lol:
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Dear Pinkie, is this a plan for a new business? or a plan to help you get some money for an existing business?

pinkie

Post subject:

Post by pinkie »

frances it is a plan to get some money for an existing business. I have just finished college and want to get some premises and more equipment.

Laurie Wignall

Post by Laurie Wignall »

Hi Pinkie

Visit Barclays or Lloyds TSB and mak an appointment to see a business manager, ask them for a copy of their business plan software.

Barclays is the most comprehensive

you dont have to bank with them and dont let them sell you their accounts package. All you are after is the business plan software

any questions PM me
Reclining Budda, stunt double

Apathy is ok, if you can be bothered

http://www.midfest.co.uk

Modo pecuniuam jacite