General trading flap

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

General trading flap

Postby sally » Wed May 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Feel free to ignore, just having one of those 'loads to do and very little time' moments and am hoping that inflicting my grumpyness on others will make me feel better for a millisecond or two :oops:

Its turning into one of those it never rains but it pours weeks, combination of some very welcome orders turning up at most busy moments plus a customer letting me know a parcel is now about 2 days late- so not quite at panic stage yet but sods law its one that wasnt sent recorded so is untraceable, plus a few stock items have run out without me noticing plus the van isnt fixed still so its borrowed transport again plus new lines for a non-re-enactment show this weekend arent ready plus a horrid week at work and I could do with a hot bath and an early night instead of sitting up making stuff til the small hours.

Anyway, I know all you traders know exactly what its like, and it will be fine, but at this moment...aaarrrrgh...
(just drop a couple of chilled kittens into a gin and tonic for me and I'm sure I'll feel fine)

Hinny Annie

Postby Hinny Annie » Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 pm

Take a big deep breath and then reach for the Gin, does it everytime for me. :lol: Seriously take it easy, not easy I know as I have just finished making curtains to hide the crap in our new tent (that just arrived yesterday) we will be trading from it at Rufford this weekend. Horrible thought ? I hope its all there. God where's the Gin

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 pm

will think of you during my all nighter tonight - while I'm watching crap telly and sewing... :D

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Wed May 16, 2007 11:59 pm

Thoughs are with you, Sally I know where you are coming from - all you need is a rogue garment to put the schedule out.

Hey I have just hand stitched 40 eyelets to the front of a dress instead of the back ( luckily itds stock not an order) stitched the channels on the wrong side and worked on just the eyelets without checking i can't just cut the train off as the side gores are cut to extend the back of the dress it is sortable by letting in an extra panel at the front where the eyelets were and stitiching the eyelets where they sould be - just takes up more time in the chedule.

I won't mention stroppy fur on the hem of a gown - still at swearing stage with that one - I'll win though - just a bit more battling.

Cherry
Shadowloght Designs

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 am

I know the feeling..

Seems like I've about 2 months worth of work to get done in the next two weeks. Somehow everything is taking twice as long as it should.

Been putting in in 15 hour days for the last two weeks and I'm getting more and more behind. (Not that I'm known for being exactly a fast deliverer)

On the bright side, I've got a nice new digital controller on my smaller kiln now. No more having to watch that it's gone past the correct temperature now. Can set it and forget it .

seamsmistress

Re: General trading flap

Postby seamsmistress » Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 am

Chin up, Sally, I know all too well how you feel, experiencing similar 'flaps'at showtime.

Orders arriving when you're at you're busiest is the God's way of smiling on you. "Look!" they say, "there's someone who can - let's reward her industry" :wink:

Parcels getting lost - ahh, the joys of Royal mail. Cough, splutter, pleeeeze don't get me started! Just coz they say they aim to deliver 1st class by the next day doesn't mean they commit to it. According to them, it's not lost for at least 15 days. The nice gods will surely intervene devinely and find it somewhere. And if not, then you'll find a way to sort it for your customer.

Stock items running out? But of course.....the price of success is having only one pair of hands and 24 hours, some of which are needed for sleeping :roll:

Van not fixed? Well, you've sorted the problem in the immediate and great stampings of feet will see it fixed for next time - Go girl!

New lines not ready? Sod's law, I'm afraid. Time lost arguing with mechanics, sourcing alternative vehicles, stomping with royal mail and the inevitable endless phone calls, both welcome and not so all collaborate to make life impossible when it was already tight.

You may not manage the early night - but you should treat yourself to the hot bath. You'll feel so much better in yourself and back to up and at 'em.

It often amazes me how the events of a weekend trading long planned for turn out quite differently to expected. I can't begin to number the times I've worked long hours to get out a new line or a showpiece - only to find customers suddenly 'discovering' something I've supplied for years and not in the least bit interested in the 'new'. You find yourself wondering what all the fuss was about! And of course, after setting up, the doors open, your public arrives and you smile and chat and completely forget the horrendous week/fortnight/month you just had.

All will be well. Keep smiling and know that many of us sympathise with your plight tonight in the certain knowledge that you would do the same for us if you knew.[/quote]

davetmoneyer

Postby davetmoneyer » Thu May 17, 2007 7:25 am

Hinny Annie wrote:Take a big deep breath and then reach for the Gin, does it everytime for me. :lol: Seriously take it easy, not easy I know as I have just finished making curtains to hide the crap in our new tent (that just arrived yesterday) we will be trading from it at Rufford this weekend. Horrible thought ? I hope its all there. God where's the Gin

If you curtain off all your crap what you goin to sell???
ducks down below striking block for quiet snigger
see you at Rufford

Regards Dave
Dave T Moneyer
perveyour of high quality cheap tat
Moneyer to the Bank of England
and the World
Regular prices for reasonable customers
http://www.grunal.com

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu May 17, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks everyone, much calmer this morning and at least I have the day off work to do my headless chicken impersonation in :)

Hinny Annie

Postby Hinny Annie » Thu May 17, 2007 9:28 am

[quote="davetmoneyerIf you curtain off all your crap what you goin to sell???ducks down below striking block for quiet snigger
see you at Rufford[/quote]

One head on a block going cheap

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu May 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Orders arriving when you're at you're busiest is the God's way of smiling on you. "Look!" they say, "there's someone who can - let's reward her industry"

he he - like the person who rang up wanting something in four weeks!!

and the royal mail - don't trust them an inch, always get proof of posting, and if it's worth over £32, ALWAYS send it special......

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri May 18, 2007 11:01 am

When in trouble, when in doubt - run in circles scream and shout!!

So if it gets stressful go out into the garden for five minutes and run around waving your arms around wildly and screaming - either it will de-stress you or the neighbours will call the local funny farm and have you sectioned!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: Either way you should feel better.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Return to “Traders Discussion”