sleep deprivation V's self employment

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin Cowley

sleep deprivation V's self employment

Post by Martin Cowley »

just wondering how others who are self employed or work from home switch off ? the last 4 nights i have either
A.not slept
B.sleep very badly
C.same as above :lol:
The problem is at the mo i seem to be having an "idea's spurt" i.e went to a fairtrade cafe yesterday, suzi bought a very nice cereal bar (rather expensive IMHO though very nice lol) i then spent most of the day thinking about how i would make one, then ALL F*CKING NIGHT i would wake up every hour or so thinking things like
"no dont use that, add double this and a pinch of this and a handful of ........etc etc "
whilst its all good stuff having lottsa ideas etc its starting to wear me down alot.How do others switch off ? cant sit and watch a dvd now without stopping it at least once just to pop to the workshop for 2 mins etc. :lol:[/i]

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hey Martin, this all sounds very similar! 2 minutes in the workshop inevitably turns into an hour or so for me.
My dilema is that there just simply arent enough hours in a day to get my work done. I am working as a primary school teacher and HATE it, hopeing this can be something to financially support me in a few years to come. I also have a wife and one year old child, and get my work done in the wee hours of the morning while everyone is sleeping.....hence I am now and have been for awhile very tired.

For me switching off from my passion work is going to school and teaching 26 eight year olds! Switching off from them is forging swords and knives. A savage circle!
A brave man is a free man.

Sir Fletcher Phelps

Post by Sir Fletcher Phelps »

Have you tried doing a bit of training - an hour of pell work or summat similar would mean you're concentrating on that rather than thinking of delicious produce.....not that you need the training of course :wink:
Befrocked, bearded dypsomaniac who glows in the dark

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Sex 8)
As well as burning further calories - it should distract you from other ideas in your head and releases hormones which help you sleep
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Sir Fletcher Phelps

Post by Sir Fletcher Phelps »

craig1459 wrote:Sex 8)
As well as burning further calories - it should distract you from other ideas in your head and releases hormones which help you sleep
Doesn't that constitute cruel and unusual punishment for Suzi? :lol:
Befrocked, bearded dypsomaniac who glows in the dark

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

Sir Fletcher Phelps wrote:
craig1459 wrote:Sex 8)
Doesn't that constitute cruel and unusual punishment for Suzi? :lol:
I just said sex - not the detail :lol:
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Martin Cowley

Post by Martin Cowley »

Have you tried doing a bit of training - an hour of pell work or summat similar would mean you're concentrating on that rather than thinking of delicious produce
sadly i aint allowed to train anymore :( , sex ? nah , rather have a cup of tea :D

Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

First Post,

My wife Lucy, and I have a costume photography setup at some of the events and I believe we did some of Daisy last year.

I work in product design and we have to churn out an average of 2 new products for every working day of the year!!! And I can also find it hard to turn off. But it is a good thing really, it shows you are creative, passionate and interested in what you do, would you really want to turn it off if that meant missing that one fantastic idea that comes to you in the middle of the night.

I think the secret is how to deal with it and I find one of the best was is to write it down. It seems to me that if I do that, somehow my brain thinks its OK to forget about it now, and come back to it later.

I carry around a notebook all the time, date the page, and scribble/draw everything I think is a good idea. Then every morning I flick though the pages to inspire that days work. It seems to clear my mind and lets me sleep (That and not going to bed before I am trashed!).

Dave

Martin Cowley

Post by Martin Cowley »

lol i have hundreds of scrapa of paper all over the house with show details, recipe ideas and other really important stuff that i have to get around to , i also have a PDA to save all the rain forests im responsible for using up, but i cant suss it out and it keeps me awake at night trying to work it out LOL :D

Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 »

I still have a mountain of bits of paper as well but one of those nice hard backed notebooks with elastic to hold the closed is a great place to get the idea down. If you want it to be a truly creative thing then it is best if it is private like a diary, then you don't worry about how stupid the idea is of if it ever comes to anything, draw pictures, make notes whatever.

The important thing is that it gets the idea out of your system, but keeps it in a safe place where you know to go back to it.

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Post by Lord High Everything Esle »

If its good enough for Leonardo Da Vinci it should be good for you Martin!!

I used to keep a notepad by the bed. Just jotting down the main points got them out of my head.

After a stressful day running my own business, when I was young, a long long time ago, I would run home the half mile or so from the bus stop. There has to be some exercise that you can do Martin. Try visiting a gym and get their advice..

Also when atressed I would go and help a friend in a neighbouring office do some mundane tasks just for a change. It was very restful.
Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Malvoisin

Post by Malvoisin »

I'm not self employed but my brother was for several years. Working from home, mainly computer stuff and phoning people etc.

What he used to do was In the morning put on a smart shirt and tie, walk round the block for 15 mins, come back home shut himself in his study(office) for 8 or 9 hours. Then go for another walk come back home again, change into casuals and relax with his family.
It sounds a bit mad I know and I used to take the pee, but he reckoned the artificial walk to work and back really helpped him switch off in the eve.

He needed a start and finish point to his working day that he felt he wasn't getting when he started to work from home.
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses... In peacetime

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

whereas I live with a confirmed work aholic

Debs will work constantly for 3 days sleep for 4 hours then do it again

Anybody who ahs been to our house knows that its very difficult to switch off due to the stuff lying around all voer the place.

But we try and do simple things like not talk about work after 7.30 etc

Problem is like Martin debs has 50+ projects on the go and ususally wants to bouce ideas etc off me
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Martin, you will only get sympathy not a cure, it comes with the territory.

I have been self-employed for three and a bit years now, normal graphic design - unusual hours, weekends etc, then added to that the historical stuff which I love doing and when the mood is right i am in heaven doing projects, but it saps time and energy. Not to mention the kids and wife all having a piece of me, but I wouldn't swap it, as it is all pretty much what I like doing.

Give yourself some organised time though, I concur with the suggestions re a strenuous activity or one that demands different concentration, I recently took up fencing after a long absence, excellent for not being able to think about anything but the next few seconds. I sleep really soundly every Wednesday night.
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

do something that exhausts you - treat yourself like a toddler that has to be tired out before he can sleep

and count to a hundred.

if you let anything else pop into your head while counting, start again.

or run through in your head a tv programme or book, or comic or something that you know really well - again if you let anything else pop into your head, start again (write it down then start again if it's important.

andam not that bad - am trying to do it so I stay up one night and go to bed the next at the moment.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

I laid awake a couple of nights ago because I was very cross about two things. After a couple of hours I was still cross, so I got up and wrote a few letters. Pounding the keyboard felt really good and when I had finished jobs had been done and I felt quite cleansed. Then I had a meal and went back to bed. (The only trouble with doing this is that there is no chance that I will be able to lose the weight I have recently put on.)

So, Martin, get up and wash the kitchen floor, scrub the loo bowl and clean out the rabbit. Bet you will sleep in your nice warm comfortable quarters after that!!

Miel

Post by Miel »

Martin,

Don't complain - thank your good fortune.

You work for yourself and can keep the hours you want.

I often work all day and all night when have an idea in my head and don't stop til I have got a result or have reached a point where my brain stops.

Then I can sleep - and sleep soundly.

It works for me...........

But then I don't have young kids any more,..... and my wife often works the same hours as me,..... and I don't have a love afair with my computer,..... and I am allowed to take the phone off the hook,..... and... etc .... etc.
Miel (pronounced "Mile")
"Well again and back with a vengence"

Annie the Pedlar

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

I've got a cure :P
First you have to be of old granny age but still think you are 18.
You move house and mix demolishing it with carrying on making stuff, then you move 99% yourself in your battered van - while still visiting schools and doing fairs at the weekend - oh and getting hit on the head by an iron bar.
That has cured my insomnia! Slept like a log this last fortnight!.

Er ... the first bit may pose a problem....... :twisted:

Annie

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

alternatively, do what I do pre re-enactors market, and live on red bull (diet), revels and jam tarts!!
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy

Annie the Pedlar

Post by Annie the Pedlar »

Martin - seriously - excercise might be the answer.

Tuppence - do you loose weight on that diet or put it on? :wink:

Annie on a coffee high.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Tuppence - do you loose weight on that diet or put it on?
stay about the same, by virtue of the jacks, the 50m bolts of cloth and the two flights of stairs :D
Miss Piggy

the real lord duvet

Post by the real lord duvet »

n ot self employed but do suddenly get ideas in the night and then can't back to sleep afterwards

i write em all down and then play computer games quietly for a while or do the washing up.

does it matter about being awake all night - you could sleep during the day you're self employed

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

the real lord duvet wrote:does it matter about being awake all night - you could sleep during the day you're self employed
Or a servant of the crown
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

stephen wootten

Post by stephen wootten »

i work silly hours and have found that it kills my social life and my tollerance of idiots and fools. how ever the only plus side is that it keeps me locked up in the works van and when i speak to customers i have to be polite.

i think ive sectioned my mind into several parts
1) work steve
2)family steve
3) violent frothing at the brain steve
4) re-enactment steve
5) chilled bushido meditating steve

occasionaly they mix and match (but no.3 head stays on shelf and only comes out to play when im alone) this was my way of coping with sleep deprivation when i worked nights with a daytime only body clock

hope this might help as dont think talking to myself is a problem as i can see both sides of an arguement in the privicy of my own head

steve (posibly no 5 tonight????)
cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Martin, I understand (he says nodding his head). I work full time, and run my leatherwork business part time, plus all the re-enactment stuff.
I found I had the same problem as you, couldn't sleep, always wanting to make things that I hadn't done before, working out new methods and debating whether that's the way things used to be made etc etc. My house became a bigger mess than usual, part finished projects every where (all my own not orders!).
Before my op. last year I joined a gym. I now go 3 - 4 times a week. Whilst there I get to to do loads of thinking, I'm not distracted (other than by the girls). I love it, I always seem to leave happy even if I was in a bad mood when I went in.
I thought it would really effect my output of orders but I think it has helped.

Post by Guest »

I agree Tod, regular exercise - enforced, as is yours - also leaves me more energetic and more than makes up for the time taken out.