Reviewing Trader's Websites

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Reviewing Trader's Websites

Post by Neibelungen »

Following on from a conversation with Mole about websites, I thought it might be worthwile having a posting for analysis of websites built, or built for, traders where we can examine them in a little detail and offer costructive reveiws, comments, suggestions and praise at how they are structured.

Like many traders, working to a tight budget, I've had to learn to do everything myself. (or just like making everything myself, including websites) Most of us have an idea of what we're looking for, ond how we think it should work, but can't always see beyond the keeboard how it looks and handles (clicks?) to other people.

So perhaps a place to examine how a ~trader's site has gone together and offer suggestions and advice and a bit of tech support might be usefull. After all these days you need something online, if just to make sure it's easier to find your phone number than that lost sheet of paper.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

or just do what I've done in the past, and post a message in friends and gossip asking people to try it out and let you know how it is.

works wonderfully, is free, quick, and incredibly useful.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Reveiwing Trader Website

Post by Neibelungen »

True, getting feedback from friends is very usefully and quite often picks up a few factors we never noticed or didn't think about.

My idea is to take this a slight level further and use the different peoples sites to help them develope their skills and sites and understand some of the more important aspects of site structure.

For instance, it's very easy to set a link to open an e-mail message, but more complicated to design it around a form integral to the site. Even the form itself needs to be designed with a degree of analysis, as there are ways to set it to include message headers and the subject body.

It's also a way to group together peoples different designs and see features and styles that are common in all of them, or different approaches to design that they hadn't considered.

It's also a spot to include some technical discusion as well, and hopefully draw upon the skills of more experienced or technically proffision members in this forum.

After all, most friends tell to be impressed by visual appearances and like to give praise where it's due, but rarely focus on constructive criticism that can give ideas for improvement.

Andrew

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

I am a "trader" by occupation although I don't "sell" directly off my web site. Mine is a very simple site, showing what I do, and don't do, giving a rough outline of prices, and a contact address. We don't all need the same kind of web site, with shopping carts and so on.

I am sure those who are comparatively new will welcome help - I know I would have done when I first started. And I still can't make new pages etc. (It takes forever to remember how to post new pix too). However, I am fortunate enough to have a tame geek, my son, who helps me out when I am floundering.

I shall watch this topic with interest, to see if there are tips I can pick up. Thanks Andrew for the idea.

S.

Fillionous

Post by Fillionous »

Well it has been sugested that I am the first volenteer (victim) And due to the fact that I am just starting out and could do with some useful feedback... My site is at http://shieldmaiden.co.uk
So go for it... (but please be gentle with me :wink: )

BE bright, be bold
Fillionous
Orathanni tal ka Zarness - Blessings of the Stars
http://shieldmaiden.co.uk - for heraldry, shields and banners.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Like the clarity and ease of navigation. However, the "Costs" page seems to have got spaces where spaces don't need to be, which makes it over-run at the bottom. (I'm sure there are technical terms for this - sorry.)

S.

Sal

Post by Sal »

Generally really nice and clear, and easy to navigate.

Just a couple of points that jumped out at me:

On the page about banner design, I'm not sure the question marks in this bit give out the best impression:

they often had shaped tips to the side, either pointed, swallow tail, square, rounded or ??????

I would suggest putting something here instead of the question marks! How about "double-points" or something similar. I'm sure there probably is a technical term for it, but I think anything would be better than the question marks, which makes it look like you don't know your subject :)

Other than that, my only other issue is that on some pages (like the contacts page) where you haven't got a lot of detail, there is a lot of white space before you get to the links etc on the bottom of the page. A lot of people probably won't scroll down because it's not clear that there's more stuff to see. Not a major issue though - I'm probably just being picky now :)

Hope that helps!
None of the ideas expressed above are really mine. I get them from Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Sheildmaiden site

Post by Neibelungen »

Fillionous,

First let me say it's a very nice site you have. Clean, crisp, with discrete, tidy graphics and a well structured layout.
It looks professional and well put together and certainly rewards the effort put into it, either by yourself or the web design people.

I'll try to analyze the site from a re-enactor/trader perspective, and whist these are all my own opinions, there's nothing that says there's a right way or a wrong way, just what my impressions are.

1. The welcome page.
First thing that leaps out is the whiteness. Seems strange, but to me it almost looks like it's missing something... a focus that draws the eyes to a content. We see shields.. bold bright shields.. But there's not a single word that actually says what you do Where's the word 'Paint'. Decorate comes in as a descriptive in the subline under home. I think you need a subheading under Sheildmaiden. Something like "heraldic decoration and design" or "Heraldic Artist and Decorator"

That brings me to the Sheldmaiden legend. Kind of sits there like typed words rather than a Company name... maybe it needs a elaborate scroll or a medieval banner surround to hold it within. ? Sits a little to close to the shield navigation (that's a nice touch) to quite act as a company title.

The shieldmaiden image.. I kind of like it, but it seems to large and somewhat unfocused. She has a sword.. female fighter... but where's the shield ? It looks something like a logo, but is too big and seems to cluttered for that. It has a couple of loose pixles on the edge and overlaps the text a little.. seems like a really nice picture stuck in the page rather than a design elemant exactly. Paintshop in a sheild ... with your own logo on the sheild.. even if it repeats the same image.. maybe that wants to be in full colour ?

The text.... It has the mistake I make as well of being a little too self-effacing. Drop the 'examples of my work include'... that is your work !! Proclain it loudly so people know what you do . Be bold on the words... don't give them the options to decide.. you need to tell them exactly what you can do, it's on the inside pages that you can waffle and explain details more.

2. Sheild Page
Nice way of laying out the pictures.. but they have no Alt text whan you hover over them giving them a title.

3. Banners Page
Not sure if changeing the picture style works, but might suit the type of images in them . Little too crowded together as the text overlaps a little.
Somehow you need to change the descriptive text you have into a title for the image and use the descriptive text to describe the type of penant/banner it is.
No alt tags.. might be nice to have it clickthough to a closeup enlargement of the banner from the image

4 Plaques
No title to the imager or ALT tags either. Slightly close to my suggestion for the banner page, where you have a description of what you can do/produce next to the image rather than a historical lesson. Not clear if you supply a plaque or the customer has too.

5. Hobby Horses.
As above. No Alt tage. As these are specific items, you could perhaps have a price for them. Language is a little loose.. perhaps try to rephrase it more into statements rather than what feels like a conversational chat wording.

6. Costs.
This is always the hardest part as these objects are so individual, however you have done agood job of conveying the information without being definate.

I would personally change the link to 'Order' rather than cost.. your trying to get them to buy from you, not warn then it costs. I would expand this section a bit more.. it's a little cluttered together though all the information is there... It's hard to balance info overload and options matched to prices.
As you have pictures of specific shields, you could put prices next to these, then people can see what your expecting them to pay.. Sometimes it can help to have a table of charges then people can add up exactly what it might come to for themselves. A definate idea of price is easier to sell than a range.

7. Contact.
Never quite sure wether just an e-mail address is enough. People still like to phone or send mail as well, but sometimes calls to a home phone can be annoying at 8pm. A web-form for contact can be a bonus though as it allows them to repond there and then without having to write a description, and allows you to make sure you have boxes where they can fill in the relevant details about what thewy want you to quote for.

Links.
I like the ability to select a link image.. that's a good touch. but I would put the linking html into a box as it clutters the images . Why aren't those logo images on your front page though... Their exactly what I meant was missing from your front page... they give you a business identity in an image.
Not sure what your working relationship is with the two sheildmakers, but seems a little odd to have competion linked. ?

General Notes.
You have pictures of specific banners, so why not indicate the price that was charged for that banner. People hate having to ask a price and find it's more than they want to pay.
You have a page of banner styles and designs, but the page has a little hidden link to it. Make that more prominent. Same applies to the Heraldry and How asheild is made pages. These seem a bit lost or hidden away with no direct links available from the front.
The bottom links are too far down the page so they get lost from the screen.. The front page should be what you see on the screen without having to scroll very far... it's the page to draw them in so it needs to be bold
Perhaps your text could be a little smaller, it fills up the page, but doesnt let you have the space to say much. plus it lengthens the page
Get an email address using your domain name.. it makes a better impression and allows you to keep a business identity clearer to people. Plus you don't loose the address if you ever change internet provider.
Your pictures open up onto a blank screen. make a separate page for each with the picture and a lot more text describing it.
There's no information about whether you make the sheild, source them or customers supply them . Need to make that aspect clearer or give prices for getting a sheild from you. It could be a good source of revenue selling on sheilds if you get somebody to make them.
i like the 'how it's made' page, but that's my preference. I would redo the images though with a fresh shield and then stage the pics for each section.. A fresh clean sheet will make a world of difference and a neutral blanket would hide the house backgound.. I know most of us work from home, but the customer doesn't need to know that.

Ok, think I've finished there. I hope it doesn't seem to brutal, and these are only just my impressions.

What I'm trying to convey is not that you've done anything wrong, because you havn't. Your site works, but a independent pair of eyes see's different things. I don't notice the spelling or gramer myself, but see structure and impression. Other people see things completely differently. Hopefully other people will see different aspects, or see the ideas I've suggested and might even come up with alternative ways. Plus they can perhaps use what I've noticed for their own sites.

Andrew

Fillionous

Post by Fillionous »

Thanks for the comments folks.
I am looking into what will work best for me as far as changes.

It has highlighted a couple of things, some which I was vagly aware of and others which I was not. (such as the mess which is the costs page and the ability to look more closely at pictures). I am not too sure what I can do about different peoples computers and thus the way the pages sometimes present themselves - odd spacing and the like...

I will try and put in some improvments over the next few weeks and then get back to you wonderful folks to see if it is better (or if I have made even more of a mess! :) )

Seriously though, it has been a useful exersize and I would recomend it to others setting out web pages.
Thanks

Be bright, be bold
Fillionous Shieldmaiden
Orathanni tal ka Zarness - Blessings of the Stars
http://shieldmaiden.co.uk - for heraldry, shields and banners.

Black Letter

I would be grateful for feedback to - but please be gentle!!

Post by Black Letter »

We would be grateful for feedback too - And I've posted my message and link in the wrong section!! DOH! :roll:

http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5895

When we have traded at Ludlow and Caerphilly I am quite happy to return the favour and give feedback to others - can't at the moment I'm afraid, loads of things to do!

Cheers
Black Letter
Calligraphy - Design - Illumination - Illustration
www.black-letter.co.uk

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

Fillionius

Shieldmaiden - I'm guessing the logo is indistinct because of copyright issues from New Line or whoever owns the Eowyn image? Recognised it as I'm doing Eowyn's Challenge and there are a few groups out there calling themselves 'Shieldmaidens' - you could get a lot of confused Tolkien fans accidentally straying onto your site!

Site is nice and straightforward. Maybe more specifics might help? (I wouldn't want to buy things not knowing exactly what they might cost me!) Wish I could make a site that good, though. Well done!

:D

Gerald ye Herald

Post by Gerald ye Herald »

Shieldmaiden If its any consolation it took me an age to sort my website
out, being an absolute novice at it. And it maybe could do with more work
on it, trouble is the package I opted for is very limited and the tools provided sometimes were very frustrating.

But at least it gets the message across and so far works for us.

Good luck with yours and I love your work! well done :wink:
Preserving the Art of Medieval Heraldics
And Chivalry
Live for today, dream of tomorrow, learn from yesterday!.
http://armisheraldics.me.uk/1.html
http://gyh.fotopic.net
http://ah.fotopic.net

Gerald ye Herald

Post by Gerald ye Herald »

Blackletter First may I commend you on your work and just love the logo.
Second your site is perfect as far as I can tell and very informative and
uncomplicated.
Preserving the Art of Medieval Heraldics
And Chivalry
Live for today, dream of tomorrow, learn from yesterday!.
http://armisheraldics.me.uk/1.html
http://gyh.fotopic.net
http://ah.fotopic.net

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Blackletter Site

Post by Neibelungen »

Blackletter,

Like Gerald, It's a very good site. Easy layout, navigation, clear, bold and catches some very nice elements from your work and presents them nicely. The information is precise, succinct and lets you know most of what you need to let people know.

Ok, praise bit over, lets get critical.

To my eye it looks a little stark, too white and unwelcomeing perhaps. Somehow I had a expectation of something warmer wnad more like a medieval manuscript in feel and colour rather than a harsh white modern printer feel. I know it's very subjective view, but other than the magnificent logo
(one we should all aim to aspire to for quality and a sense of identity, though if I was going to be really harsh, i was struck by the fact the Blue letter stood out more than the black letter of the logo name),
the icons used all seemed a little plain. Graphics are always the hardest part to do, but a warmer background colour might go a way to soften the feel.

The online shop is good, though personally I am a little biased against OsCommerce. It's a very good shopping system, but it does take a lot of work to alter it to make it look different from anout of the box layout. You've done a good job intergrating it within the webpages, which is good. especially with the use of the same style of grey backgroud to tie it together. I think you said on your other post that the store layout was your next project, and I think a lot of people would be interested to see what you make of it and how you managed it, as OsComm is quite daunting to rework.

It's worth people taking a look at this site and comparing it with Fillionous's to see the two different ways of presenting a product. Neither in themselves is a better approach, as it often depends on what you sell or how you work that determines which is easier or fits together.

Fillinonous has more colour and images, which feels a little easier on the eye, but hasn't quite caught the tidy clear layour of Blackletter. Yet it's 'clutter' makes it feel slightly 'warmer' and less formal,

Blackletter, in contrast, is more clinical but presents the information in precise chunks, and while feeling more formal is much easier to read and absorb the important information easily. That precision is perhaps what you want to 'feel' from a precise skill such as calligraphy.

If you notice, the different in the font size of the two allows part of that to work as it compresses the info into tighter paragraphs. (Though perhaps Blackletter might be a little smaller that it needs to be)

It's good to note that Blackletter clearly lays out their terms and conditions and copyright details very clearly and openly and lets people know where they stand from the begining. Plus there's details on how to look after your items and a small section on dealing with problems or sending feedback ( a link in here might be nice for a direct route for comments/feedback/complaints).

I've personally seen several features and styles of layout that I think are very good and help to convey a 'personality' for each of the two sites reviewed so far. There's a couple of idea that I've found will help me with my own site as well, so for me it's been a worthwhile experience.

OK... who's next up to feel brave enough volunteering for an inspection ?

Black Letter

Post by Black Letter »

Thanks for all your kind words and advice about our site. I intend to take all the advice we have received from this forum, friends, etc. and inwardly digest over the next couple of weeks and update it.

I also think it is good with these things to have a rest from it and then go back with fresh eyes, so other than dealing with emails and orders I am not going to tinker with it for a few weeks.

Neibelungen thanks for your feedback, a few people have commented on having a more 'medieval manuscript' style and it is something I am definately pondering over, both for the site and store. The problem we have is converting our handdrawn graphics/text into computer friendly ones but where there is a will there is a way!

Regarding oscommerce, well I've had to learn quite a few things since September, photoshop, phpmyadmin, mysql, oscommerce, etc. I feel that I have only scraped the surface.

I think that with all aspects to selling, it is good to learn to do things for yourself - such as build a website, or do accounts, or whatever it is. Ultimately, it gives you more control and flexibility and can save money. However, there does come a point when time may be better spent producing the items you sell and perhaps using the money earned on getting the pro's in. I don't know where that line is, you only usually know where it is once it has been crossed :roll:

It is very useful to get feedback from lots of different sources. I would highly recommend it to anyone! I will gladly give feedback to others, by either the forum or pm. At the moment I am recovering from the Caerphilly gale experience and trying to dry things out! But I hope to be more communicative soon!

Thanks again

Tam
Black Letter
www.black-letter.co.uk

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Blackletter Site

Post by Neibelungen »

Glad to be of help.

Your right about having to learn so many different aspects when custructing a website from scratch. It is rewarding in the long run,. Even just a familiarity whin how they work gives you a good understanding when things don't quite work how you want them to, or else allows you to convey to another company in clearer terms too.

As Tuppence said at the start of this thread, getting friends to review is usefull, but often they don't want to be seen as being critical, or don't look at the structure and layout, and only see the spelling and content.

I've tried hopefully tro convey a bit of analysis as to why something might not quite work and perhaps suggest different approaches. I think it's been good so far to have two different styles of site to able to contrast together.

Perhaps it might be worth setting up a sticky for links to resources we've found usefull with website building and customizing the various e-commerce sites that people have used. This is especially true when useing a lot of CSS on a site and getting it to balance in browsers is particularly difficult.

Andrew

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

Hi Tam,

I would like to see a much clearer idea of the quality of your work. I feel the site understates it somewhat, having been a viewer of the original items, as you know I love it.

Might be nice for a few close-ups to see the strokes, Phil's lino-cut marks, the textural nature of the work.

Might be nice to have some sort of primer re say laying out a manuscript, or how they were made, how you make them, a small bit on calligraphy etc. Not essential now, but may be of interest as a resource, also some queries looking for info turn into jobs.

Am more than happy to have mine critted, most of the crit wont be a surprise I hasn't to add because I have not updated it in a long time and have faffed about wondering about an order system, so for all intents and purposes it is a sampler site with an idea of the work. So, to my own losss I have not got some of the new shiny stuff I have done since.

Fire away, might actually prompt me to get it sorted.

www.guildofsayntluke.co.uk
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Carl / Sir Geoffrey

Fillionious Website

Post by Carl / Sir Geoffrey »

Hi Shieldmaiden,

Since you have asked for some comments, I thought I would add my 2pence worth.

Personally I like the plain white background and black text. Any combination which has a high contrast makes a site easier to read (the font size is good as well). In contrast, site that have busy backgrounds and low contrast text can be difficult to read (and before anyone comments - I know that my site suffers from this).

The roll over effect on the shields and the different colour for the current page add to the ease of navigation, although I would agree with earlier comments that an alt tag for these images would be good for those users who are either partially sighted and using a web reader or have turned their images off for speed of loading. However, it is good to see text links at the bottom of the page as an alternative.

I noticed that you have set up your styles on every page (well the ones I looked at anyway). While using styles is a good step forward from plain HTML, you might want to investigate cascading style sheets (CSS). The allow you to create one style page which the users do not see but where you define all your styles. Each web page then contains a link to the CSS. In this way, if you want to change the appearance of your whole site you only need to change one bit of code in the css and the whole site will reflect this change.

For all sorts of help in learning HTML, CSS and javascript I would suggest W3Schools http://www.w3schols.com.

Hope this helps

Carl
Carl Sprake
Sir Geoffrey of Woodstock
CarlSprake.co.uk
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

Carl / Sir Geoffrey

Post by Carl / Sir Geoffrey »

Jorge,

Very good site. Easy to navigate, easy to read, good use of images and pop ups.

Carl
Carl Sprake
Sir Geoffrey of Woodstock
CarlSprake.co.uk
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Now that I've got my shop functioning without obvious glitches, I'd welcome some thoughts on anything that would help. Its Oscommerce, and so far I've largely stuck with the default settings, just changing a few graphics etc. That was deliberate whilst I got the guts of it working properly, but after midwinter I'm hoping to have time to revisit things like colourscheme and how it ties into my main site.
Any thoughts would be very welcome, (just don't expect miracles! I'm a novice at this)
www.sallypointer.com/shop

Black Letter

Post by Black Letter »

Jorge
Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for the delay in replying, its been a bit mad of late! Thank you for your suggestions, and I'm very grateful to get another artists view. I was considering doing some 'close ups' of the work, so people could see the detail and quality, I will think on and ponder this over Christmas, and maybe build it into the portfolio area of the site (which is next on the list, as well as looking through everyones feedback and thinking about a way forward!)

I will try and return the favour over the Christmas/Jan period, when things are a bit quieter. I'm feeling fatigued at the mo, as we have just had another weekend away.

Hope you are ok and thanks again. I look forward to sharing a few beers with you at an event next summer and talking about ink and stuff!
Black Letter
www.black-letter.co.uk

Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi,

My name is Andy Malcolm and I've recently started a small business in supplying hand made items to the Dark Age re-enactor. My site is at:

www.firedogforge.com

My wife has spent many hours learning and creating, and has enjoyed the process. Any positive or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andy
A brave man is a free man.

Martin Cowley

How has using a PC helped your business ?

Post by Martin Cowley »

I was just nocking up a few labels on the pc when i realised just how important it is for our business, not just the website but the ability to make , design our own labels, which is very handy as we tend to "invent" new flavours etc and would have been limited if we had to use a professional printers, book shows and have almost instant replies from organisors when you have a query, use forums like Living History or Downsizer for feed back and when help[ or advice is needed from a wide variety of people and for those of us that work at home ,they allow us to spend our (frequent ) breaks playing online :D .
Has a PC helped develop your business ?
for us a resounding YES :D , no real reason im asking, just curious lol

sally
Post Knight

Re: How has using a PC helped your business ?

Post by sally »

Martin Cowley wrote:Has a PC helped develop your business ?
for us a resounding YES :D , no real reason im asking, just curious lol

Absolutely, from printing labels and flyers to writing the books that are a main part of my trade, I couldnt do what I do today in nearly as flexible a manner without a home pc. Funny when you think what a few short years it has been since most of us didnt have one.

Post by Guest »

I hope people are looking?

www.firedogforge.com

Thanks again for some future feedback!

Andy

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Firedog Forge.

Post by Neibelungen »

Andy,

I had a good look at your sight and my first impression was pretty good.

It's nicely laid out, with some clear colours and good text. I'm not always a great fan of dark backgrounds (if only because printing them out can sometimes be a pain and in heavy) but you manage to make the text and pictures stand clear.

I like the logo, it's identifiable and the Triskel ? badge is a good touch. Not so sure the laft hand one doesn't want to be balanced like the right side, rather than under the Logo. Kind of looks a bit like poor positioning rather by design.

OK, few faults though.. Where's the navigation ?

It's a nice side bar and a clever design, but it seems like it doesn't serve a purpose other than occupy space.

i know you have a navigation at the bottom of the page, but it's in black on a dark brown/red. It definately needs to be much lighter, and underlined to show it's a navigation link.

I'd suggest perhaps loosing the first or second repeat down the side. Use the texture of that repeat as a background for some navigation buttons, perhaps with a rollover effect to help.
Most people expect a navigation in that side bar position and it's not there.

You need to put a alt label under the row of pictures on the front page, to hepl people see what there going too. Perhaps a label above them too might help.

The bottom picture looks a little stretched to fit the page width, but thats a minor quibble as it's a good picture in itself.

The other pages are all very good, with the same points as above. Nice and clear, easily readable and it makes your items stand out. I'd perhaps like the option to click on a picture to see an elarged view, but that's me. If you do that, try for a seperate large image page in your layout style rather than a large picture on it's own. It looks that little bit more professional, but you might be constrained by page numbers or costing for that. A back button (simple java script to take you back to where you came from helps on them rather than renavigating every page again) Also you need to add alt labels for those pictures too. You've highlighted the details of items in those pictures, it would be nise to be able to see them in greater detail.. A link over the text where you mention them would be nice.

It might be a technical quible and not so much employed these days, but underlining titles still makes me thing they are a link.

Some of your pages have the text adjusting if the width changes while other's don't. Minor, but it's not consistent.

I like the contact, guarantee and how to pay pages.. It's always reasuring to see things clearly laid out beforehand so you know where you stand.

Perhaps I'd like to see your name and address/contact details on the front page. Over here it's getting close to being a requirement for legal reasons, but it might be in Aus too. Also, it lets people know your in Aus, which could be good or bad, but avoids the dissapointment if they discover only on the contact page. A form for contacts might be a help as it saves that extra step of sending an e-mail.. it just fill in the form and send.

Technical quibble... your pages use upper case addresses, not a problem as such, but if you move servers it can be a difficulty as linux is case sensitive. Most people type an address in lower case and a fussy server might not find it.

Overall I like the site, the layout and the use of colour. Good information and clearly laid out.

The Navigation sucks though. The side bar is pretty but doesn't do much than that. If nothing else make those bottom navigations stand out.

PS.. your font logo works in Firefox, but comes as simple text in IE. Try changeing it to an image so it's consistent. That's why the triskel gets moved on the left side.

Hope that's what you were looking for as an answer. Not trying to be negative, but contructive.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

Sally,

Sorry if we seemed to has missed you out when you said about your new shop.

I'm not a great fan of OsCommerce. Not because it's bad (it's actually a dam good set of software), but because it's so hard to modify.

If you can afford it, try getting a template for your layout. Think places like templateMonster do them pretty reasonable (though still about £100 or so), or trawl through the free templates on the OsComm site.

I think one of the first things you need to address is the size of your pictures. There all about 200K for the thumbnails, which makes them slow to download even on a fast line. I think Os has the option for selecting which pictures are displayed as thumbnail or detail, so you might want to redirect them to a different location to pick up the smaller sized ones. If not, try making a seperate folder for the thumbnails so you can keep them seperate from the larger ones if they have the same name.

You should be able to change the colour of the grey bars in the css or in the template, but it's hard to find the right part as it's not very annotated and you have so many different files to fiddle about with.

Nice to see that the comments has been used. Always encouraging when buying something. I like your use of the terms and policy and about us.

Hard to say much more becuase it's OsC that contrains your site,not your design. Maybe use that to put a little more text in some items.

If your stuck with modifying something PM and I'll try to help you out.

Andrew

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

Anonymous wrote:I hope people are looking?

www.firedogforge.com

Thanks again for some future feedback!

Andy

Hello ,
All your kit looks bloody good m8. But it’s a long way to oz and postage will probably be something of an issue for most people( I make some things and find that it can be even in England). But the quality of your stuff looks above reproach !!
I forge knives and one or two other things but would (if I had the money) love one of yours to complement my collection.
Chris

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

Personally i've found having a computer invaluable for my work. If only for storeing pictures and notes and book-keeping.

I probably don't use it as well as it's p[otential only because I never quite get round to sorting bits out.

Use a program called ACDSee for all my images. Although it's designed to be a simple photoshop type application i don't use it for that. what it does have is a built in database system for cataloging images and putting lots of info like dates and keywords with the pictures along with detailed text.

I can never quite get my head around label printing. It always wants to go wrong for me.

Might be a case for having a topic or sticky for doing things on a computer or recomended sites,programs people have found usefull in conjuction with a business ?

I'll say one thing though... there's nothing more usefull than having put a database together of dress regs for any particular uniform and date than having to plough through a dozen books and assorted images to find the right one

Andy

Post by Andy »

Thanks for the feedback. Since it is our first attempt at a site we hve learnt much, but your insights have given us much to think about. Great! We do see what you mean and hopefully will be able to make some of the adjustments.

As to international postage some of the smaller items such as knives will not cost an unaffordable amount. I believe that some Australian traders such as Birka Traders and Manning Imperial (whom both I admire) have quite a well known reputation world wide. One day I too hope to aspire to this level of reputation.

Thanks guys

Andy
A brave man is a free man.