Pitch fees.

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Pitch fees.

Postby Type16 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi, being new to this trading, I am trying to work out the most cost effective places to trade at.

So far, pitch fees seem to vary wildly ---- not always representing the likely income.

Please can any of you give me sone examples of who charges what for where?

If it is not 'protocol' to post this, please can you PM me?

Advice much appreciated. Andy.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Don't see a problem with posting - it's not really like it's secret info.

Obv. it6 depends what you're selling, and how much you're charging (e.g. using myself and costuming (cos it's what I know) as an example - some costumers cater for the lower priced 'oh my god my braies have just split, whose got some NOW!!' part of the market, and for them it's worth trading more often, as they operate to an extent from stock and passing trade - for me it's not so worth it, cos people either order by e-mail etc, or wait and come and see me at a show, cos it's likely that a sizeable sum will be involved (not that I'm really that expensive :lol: - it just rtends to be whole outfit / uniform / posh frock/ big bit of padding type orders that I get (one guy saved up for a year!!)

Pitch fees often vary depending on whether the organiser is basing it on participants' attendance (good for me), or on public attendance (not a blind bit of difference from me - how many mop's are gonna spend a pot of cash on a silk frock made in incredibly expensive silk brocatelle or samite woven to a medieval pater? (ok extreme example, but you get the point!))

They also seem to vary according to whether the market is paying for a substantial portion of the show (like at tewkers), or whether it's a sideline (like at, say eh).

generally speaking, though, get info on expected numbers (of re-enactors or mops, depending on marketing), if you're not sure.

though personally I tend to go to the biggies - things like the end / start of season re-enactors markets, which are incredibly good value, and really worthwhile doing, fom my experience (and before the slagging starts, yes I mean the orm - can't speak on the nlhf, cos haven't traded there, so others can speak on it far more accurately than I could). Also tewkers, the acws internationals (or 'not internationals'), and anything else where people know there'll be a market, and may have saved up for the shopping spree.

but, it did take me a good few years to work out what was best for me (and to work out that I hate trading at shows my group is at (wanted to be doing other stuff, so started to resent customers, not a good plan). hence me not trading at kelmarsh...or hastings for that matter, but have an army to keep on there feet there apparently (eek).

in other words, you just have to work it out as you go along (sorry), although you can educate yourself on whether your target market is likely to be there (even the dippiest organiser should have that info to hand most of the time :wink: )

Debbie

ps sorry for rambling incoherent digressions was up all night finishing a job (again!!)

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:30 am

Hi Tuppence,

Many thanks for all that info. We have taken it all on board!
Reckon, that try-and-see will be our main option.

Cheers, Andy

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:20 pm

Markets can also be good places to make contacts. If you take the time and trouble to talk to your customers you will find out what they want. Some would like to buy from your website, having first seen the quality/range of your goods themselves. Others tell you of events they are organising.

Small local events can be fun, and will get your name known. Larger events may make you more money, but there will also be loads of other traders all competing for the public purse. So you may or may not find it profitable.

Stall fees can range from free to over £100 at re-enactment events. As you say, you pays your money and you sees what happens. There is not necessarily any relationship between stall fee and number of people attending and income/profit.

Type16

Postby Type16 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:10 am

Thanks.
Reckon we will do the small - med events next year & leave out Berkley / Tewkesbury. We tend to treat those as a holiday anyway :D

Already have a list of around 12!

Cheers, Andy

Martin Cowley

Postby Martin Cowley » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:36 am

a very important thing m8,one which we will always check from now on is how much advertising is there for the event in question,if there is next to zero advertising then think very carefully about it,we will be checking alot from now on,if you only intend to trade to reenactors then no probs but if you want to sell to public and reenactors its a good thing to know m8

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:23 am

Other stuff to keep in mind, (may have said this above, but can't be bothered to read it back and find out :lol: ).

even if you're not actually selling stuff and making money, if you have a huge stack of leaflets and business cards etc, you'll almost cetainly hand them out.
I know from personal experience that a lot of people (re-enactors and not) keep them to refer back to at a later date.
So that's vg marketing and advertising, and probably far cheaper than you could do it any other way, at least in the first instance.

If what you're selling is for re-enactors (what is it btw??) then how expensive is it? If it's a pocket money type thing (10 - 20 quid), then you'll probably sell whereever you go.
If it's more expensive, you really need to be at the biggies, where people will be looking to spend real cash.

You might need to bully organisers into giving you hard numbers - of bothe re-enactors and public expected attendence - but always ask why they think the numbers are realistic - what they're based on (they could be made up on the spot if you don't check).

If selling to re-enactors, it may be that the actual groups attending will have an effect (diff groups want diff things).

Unfortunately, you gotta speculate to accumulate!!!

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Type16

Postby Type16 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:55 am

Yes,
Numbers!

Did one last month at a Shropshire event. Perfect weather & was told 3000 based on previous events. 300 tops on the day. They waived the pitch fee without asking.

I felt really sorry for the organisers. Ruddy council kept taking down their previously agreed road signs.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:11 pm

Try and find out if organisers are paying for external signage from someone like AA and how much. This signage tends to stay up and be well well done.

Event organisers who are worried about cost for this should think in terms of advertising deals, free promotional stand in non-period section, etc.. I have seen this done very effectivly for non-re-enactment events.

Sophia :D

LittleDeadRidingHood

Postby LittleDeadRidingHood » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Pitch fees seem to vary so widely. I think deciding what events to do partly depends on what you are selling and what your profit margins are like. If you are selling small items or if your profit margins are quite low per item, then you might find it helpful to make some money at the smaller events first. Its also good to know how many items you need to sell, to make back your pitch fee. That is a good way of deciding if its feasible or not.

Also, do you have your own medieval tent? That can make a difference to your pitch fees. If you don't, sometimes you will have to pay more for them to provide you with something suitable.

For what its worth, I've found David Smiths pricing to be among the fairest so far.

Type16

Postby Type16 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:55 am

Hi,
Yes we have tried some smaller events this Summer. Just did Swynnerton on Saturday. A very pleasant and exceedingly well organised event & great organisers. Just a shame it will not be repeated until the next centenary!

So far, our experiences of these amall organisers has been that they are fair. At Swynnerton, because our takings did not come up to THEIR expectations, they offered a 50% fee refund! In reality, we covered all our expenses & made a 'beer money' profit. So no complaints. Just one of those things.

Hats off to David Smith all round !!

Final trading of the year is Leominster. So will just have to see how it goes. We planned 2006/7 as learning years :D

Take care, Andy

Return to “Traders Discussion”