14th century wooden bucket with lid - who can make one?

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

calicocloth

14th century wooden bucket with lid - who can make one?

Postby calicocloth » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:06 pm

Does anyone know what this bucket would have been used for and can anyone make one? The image is from the 14th century Luttrell Psalter, made for Geoffrey Luttrell of Irnham in Lincolnshire. Thank you.
Attachments
jug and bucket a.jpg

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:08 pm

Are you sure its a bucket? Those could be staves, but they could also be a more flexible structure, think of the thinner bendier pieces of wood used in trugs or those stave baskets (can't think of their proper name) for example. That handle on top looks as if it could support the weight of the rest, and the catch at the front is more like something you'd find on a hinged lid arrangement which makes me just wonder whether it is indeed a bucket, or some sort of more flexible container. I saw a similar shape in a birchbark lidded container a while back for example. Just a thought

calicocloth

Postby calicocloth » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:32 pm

I am really not sure at all what it might be, but the drawing is pretty detailed and specific - I know it is trying to tell me something!

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:33 am

These people are really good - send them the details, and I'm sure they can help - gets a bit pricey from the US (we didn't allow for the customs - ouch!), but lovely stuff.

http://www.beaverbuckets.com/

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:33 pm

There was a poster on this forum ---- Cesar ---- from Poland ---- who advertised loads of good looking buckets. Had one just like your picture!

Sadly, I cannot get his links to work. Try e-mailing him directly.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Postby Kate Tiler » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:51 pm

Cesar was posting lots in the for sale section, have a look there, or for medieval buckets try Victor James, in derbyshire who also makes tents. If you search for Victor James tents I'm sure you'll find him.

http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Return to “Traders Discussion”