Breakdown cover for occasional traders

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Breakdown cover for occasional traders

Postby sally » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:42 am

Now that we have a van, and especially given its age, we're thinking we ought to get breakdown cover. As very occasional traders (I think we trade at no more than 6-8 shows a year at the moment) I'd rather not get stuck in the heavy duty business breakdown cover if we can help it. Most minor things we can usually fix or muddle through ourselves, so its a precaution rather than something we think we'll need.
How have other traders approached this? Any breakdown cover people that are particularly sympathetic to re-enactors with a 'hobby-business' (apparently this is the phrase to use with insurers to make sure they understand its not actually making us any money yet!). We really want the most basic roadside assistance/recue cover, but having had a quick look online I couldnt spot anyone who was ok about a private vehical used, effectively, for the occasional craft show.
Any suggestions would be great :D

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:16 am

We have AA Fleet cover for the van.. its about £40-£50 thats for total cover too including homestart and getting you to your destination if they can't get it going again.. THe NMTF do vehicle insurance to I think

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

MJ

Postby MJ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:55 am

I'm not a trader but a couple of tips...

If you've got breakdown cover for another vehicle see if it applies to any vehicle you are travelling in; also some bank accounts offer breakdown cover as a freebie. (Both of these might depend on size of van though :( )

X

Postby X » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 am

My van is insured by Commercial Vehicle Direct. The service I have had from them has always been exemplary (including a total payout when somebody torched my first van after I'd only had it four months). I'm not sure where they stand on breakdown cover, but they will provide a replacement van if mine dies. I think they will provide breakdown cover as well, but I seem to recall I didn't want it because I'm with the AA. (The thing I like about the AA is that it is the person that is covered, not the vehicle. Which basically means, I'm all right, Jack - and if my van conks out when I'm not in it, it's not my problem...).

Thinking about the AA, they will get you to where you are going (or the destination of your choice) but getting back again is your problem. It is more of a problem when you have things in the back that need to go to different places. My poor ex-van was shifted by the insurance company to a wrecker's yard, but I had to arrange for the charred remains of the contents to be removed for resurrection or interment as appropriate.

And CVD was the cheapest insurance cover I could get, and they are polite and helpful on the phone as well.

And I am not on commission.

X

Postby X » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 am

I think you are right, MJ, at least about the AA. My cover includes my van (which was, last time I called them out, a LWB HR Transit) but that's because I've been a member for several years. After I joined, I think they changed the rules about vans, but because the change happened after I joined it doesn't affect me.

Although I have to admit, since they had agreed to fix my van, I didn't pay too much attention to the details of the change.

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 am

I'll bre honest. i wouldnt touch AA after a bad experience many years ago that left me on the side of the M25 for 8 hours.

RAC, cover the person and not the vehicle so you can use it for all vehicles you use.

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

WhiteWolf

Postby WhiteWolf » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:27 am

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:I'll bre honest. i wouldnt touch AA after a bad experience many years ago that left me on the side of the M25 for 8 hours.

RAC, cover the person and not the vehicle so you can use it for all vehicles you use.

The AA do the same - this is what Lady P has

WW 8)

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:49 am

WhiteWolf wrote:
Gyrthofhwicce wrote:I'll bre honest. i wouldnt touch AA after a bad experience many years ago that left me on the side of the M25 for 8 hours.

The AA do the same - this is what Lady P has

WW 8)

Yeah but its the AA - Bunch of Tossers IMHO :wink:

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks m'dears, have gone with RAC who specifically said they cover vans (extra £5) so I know they won't be funny about it if we ever need them. Hopefully just one of those precautions that we won't need much, but having owned older vans in the past its always good to be covered.

Looking forward to packing it for a show for the first time tonight, its all very exciting :D

Lady Phoenix

Postby Lady Phoenix » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:13 pm

We're happy you are happy! :D :D

The Wolfies

"If you can see what the plate is made of, the portions are too small" Mrs G.Ogg

preprice2

breakdown cover for occasional traders

Postby preprice2 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:11 am

As an occasional trader, like Sally about 8/9 times per year, as a hobby, I would like to bring attention to a major pitfall. Up to a year ago I ran with a Land Rover and trailer, fine until long distances were called for. A descision was made to change all this and I bought a mini bus as it had 1 years mot and 6 months tax initionally no problems were noted. Insurances proved to be problem, my own company would not touch the bus, nor would the market traders fed, I ended up with a company called Minibus Plus who insured the vehicle as a mini bus with suitable breakdown cover [Green Flag] The pitfall that I did not bargain on was it's next Mot, with computerisation in the Mot stations the mot laws cannot be bent. If I had a van up to a certain weight then no problem, if I had a van over a certain weight then still no problem, ie, group 7 mot. Now the crunch, my minibus has had all but 3 rear seat removed, it cannot be mot'ed as a mini bus or a van, if the seats were replaced for the mot then goods cannot be carried, when the seat are removed again for the shows it becomes a goods vehicle, even if the goods are personally owned and it seems that it is illegal to carry them, in some cases insurance companies will not pay out because when seat are remove it is classified as a modification. The conclusion is that my Bus has to have a ministery goods vehicle test and replate, it appears to be the cheapest option, I have had a meeting with the ministery to confirm the legal aspect and it appears also campers cannot carry so called goods either, it seems that if they want you they get you. Those that are uprating please check the status and weight of the vehicle.
Uil

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:07 pm

I've been with the AA and the RAC. Both have left me at the roadside for 5 hours on different occasions. The RAC on another occasion once kept losing my call when I trekked to the nearest public phone box in the extreme heat one summer day on the way to an event; they lost it 3 times, once per hour. They were also good at referring me to the 'customer service' section, which is only open office hours. No use on a Sunday at 7.00pm when I could not move the caravan because someone had broken into it whilst I was away at a public call box trying to get someone to come out to me because the car had broken down. Cross? wot me in a temper??

In person I will tell you about the AA and what the emergancy call-out man told me to do and how it got me into serious trouble and made the next call-out man refuse to deal with me.

Being a lady on my own did not make any difference with either of these organisations.

Then there was a couple of weekends ago when I was in a layby - also on the way to an event - for almost 5 hours. Eventually I was rescued by two lovely local Policemen who changed the caravan tyre for me in 3 minutes. I think that someone had reported me as a traveller who had taken up residence on the public highway!!

So I am not sure who to recommend. I have not tried the Green Flag people. Anyone had any experience of them?

preprice2

breakdown cover

Postby preprice2 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:36 pm

I have been with Green Flag for some 9-10 years without any problems, only once within that time have I been told that there would be a delay, because of the delay they arranged a taxi to my home charged to them, admittedly only a journey of appx 15 miles. When Green Flag were available they contacted me and I met them at the breakdown site, the result was a tow to my home.
Uil

Return to “Traders Discussion”