Insurance

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Gyrthofhwicce

Insurance

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu May 25, 2006 11:30 am

Can anyone recomend a good insurance company to cover stock and 3rd parties?

Thanks

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

david smith

Postby david smith » Thu May 25, 2006 11:57 am

Join the Historic Traders branch of the NMTF - contact Pete the Pong for details.

Best wishes
David

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Postby Lord High Everything Esle » Thu May 25, 2006 12:25 pm

The NMTF membership includes 5m public liability, employers liability (anyone helping you even if unpaid), product liability (maybe even if someone slips on a rug while peeling an apple with a knife).

They also organise through an agent insurance for just about everything to do with your business - van, stock, buildings, fire etc.

Most organisersa are happy to accept a current membership card as proof of insurance.

http://www.nmtf.co.uk/ and ask for a membership pack. Remember to join the Historic Traders Branch.

Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Thu May 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Lord High Everything Esle wrote: Remember to join the Historic Traders Branch.

Which is the fastest growing branch of the NMTF... Also the more policies you take out with them.. home.. car..van..etc the more discount you get on your membership..

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Steve Stocker

Postby Steve Stocker » Thu May 25, 2006 12:56 pm

I can heartily recommend the NMTF. All problems of insurance and liability solved with one very reasonable payment per year and they are recognised by most event organisers. :)

Usted no tiene prioridad

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Thu May 25, 2006 2:41 pm

Lovely stuff, thank you all very much. :D

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Wed May 31, 2006 12:13 am

Steve Stocker wrote:I can heartily recommend the NMTF. All problems of insurance and liability solved with one very reasonable payment per year and they are recognised by most event organisers. :)

Wrong. We are accepted by ALL event organisers
(otherwise Duke Henry sends in our personal militia)

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:35 am

I need PL insurance for an exhibition I'm doing and intended to take out the NTMF membership however they wouldn't cover me for this show as it isn't a market with MOP's, so wasn't worth doing as my stock is covered by my home insurance whether away or in the house

I have now got cover with these people http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/individ ... urance.htm who cover craft fairs, exhibitions and anywhere else I ply my trade at, a bit pricier at £86 without EL or stock cover but had no choice unfortunately
Dawn

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:26 pm

Yes, you have to have 5 traders to be a 'market' and therefore covered by NMTF insurance but you are 1 trader, the gift and/or coffee shop is another so you only need another 2 people selling stuff....

But I do agree, that its a right pain when a part of what you do is not covered. I got told off for having 2 insurance policies that overlapped on some things - but what is a sometime loner craftsman/ demonstrater and sometime gregarious trader/demonstrater to do?

Back to the NMTF - I've moved my van and house contents over to them and saved 100s of pounds (mind you moving from what the police call the 'Wild West' to the lowest crime rate place in Britain might have helped :wink: ) - and my stock is covered.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:47 pm

I've got the NMTF and the Craftsman insurance, for the simple reason that NMTF didnt cover any sales made over the internet or not at fairs. Couldnt think of a good way to sort it otherwise. Between them I think I've got just about every possible scenario covered though :D

agesofelegance

Postby agesofelegance » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:35 pm

yes think I will do both eventually if needed.
The show I'm doing is an exhibition with about 200 traders but as it's not open to public but wholesale buyers they said it wasn't covered
Dawn

Tailors to history
www.agesofelegance.co.uk

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:09 pm

Right, as someone who is hoping to start trading next season I really need to get this straight :roll:

Most of the trading I will be doing will be during our groups normal gigs, and may mean that for the majority of the time I may be the sole trader at that event (I am not the only trader in our group). Because this will be our first season trading we are still building our venture etc, so costs really need to be kept to a minimum. So would you advise that I go for the Craftpersons insurance or the NMTF one, or both??? :? :?

Craig.

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:07 pm

Baldrick wrote:Most of the trading I will be doing will be during our groups normal gigs,

Does a "normal gig" involve ANYONE selling ANYTHING else at the same venue? Tickets, hot dogs, icecream etc.? If so you are almost certainly covered by the NMTF. To be honest I can't visualise any event open to the public where you would not be covered. However if "normal gigs" are posh weddings etc then you wouldn't be. But that sort of event is useless as far as selling anything is concerned.
If in doubt pm me!!!

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:02 pm

sally wrote:I've got the NMTF and the Craftsman insurance, for the simple reason that NMTF didnt cover any sales made over the internet or not at fairs. Couldnt think of a good way to sort it otherwise. Between them I think I've got just about every possible scenario covered though :D

Can you (or anyone else) tell me about this Craftsman insurance? I am looking into insurance for my proposed metals and alchemy demonstrations. I will be doing various demos of medieval technology, and although the MoPs will be behind barriers, I think insurance is a good idea.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Oops, the above was me. I forgot to log in.

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Replying to Pete - yes a hot dog vendor would count as one as would an ice cream van or the ticket seling hut at a museum. They have to be selling something but it doesn't stipulate what.

For Craig - don't feel alone - we all go through this. If you are in a group you might find everyone chipping into the pot will get you what you want and keep the individual's cost down. Be careful with the NMTF insurance - if you are the only trader you will not be covered...for anything eg stock nicked from you van or if you have a prang and smash a crate of pots etc.....You need those 4 other traders.
You will find the craftsman's insurance has its own irritating little get out clauses so

READ THE SMALL PRINT before you choose.

I don't know whether its worth going back to John Hughes. He was singing his own praises at the NLHF. I don't know whether he's changed the terms of his insurance (due to our constant moaning) so its of more use to us little arty craft multi talented people who won't be jammed into a box. And the other one to investigate is the black powder or was it the gun toting brigade insurance people? It sounded an extremely weird way to go but their insurance was cheap and covered the most peculiar things like school kids sticking my authenie brass pins into their friends......

Baldrick

Postby Baldrick » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks Annie. :wink:

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:40 pm

The Craftsman one covers teaching your craft as well if you tell them you will be doing this when you take out the policy, so potentially handy if you do an occasional school session or workshop in the village hall as long as your main purpose is still based on your craft.

For more regular school visits, does anyone have any alternative insurance suggestions (the 'go in, show off the kit, teach a new craft skill and answer questions' type school visit, not the 'I'm all alone with the children standing in for their teacher' type, which is a slightly different minefield)

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 am

If anyone is about to take out insurance can you hang on a mo. I've just been told of a new one that seems to be tailor made to what we are doing. I'm waiting for details. I want to read the small print.
PM me if you are interested and I'll pass on details when I get them.
Annie

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:05 pm

Attila and Baldrick I've PMed you but it looks like the PMs are stuck in e-limbo. :cry:
Have you received them? If not email me on anne.chernett at btinternet dot com..... :roll:

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:45 am

Oh, its OK. Attila's got her's. There seems to be a long time lag before the message actually gets sent.

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 am

And it sounds great!

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Return to “Traders Discussion”