Health n Hygene,duty of care etc !

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin Cowley

Health n Hygene,duty of care etc !

Postby Martin Cowley » Mon May 15, 2006 8:28 am

Got back late last night from the most god awful folk festival EVER !
Never ever ever go to the Wheaton Aston Festival,long story short
Festival my *rse,village fete IMHO,

A. 2 portaloos between 40 stalls and their families and also any public that were there and no running water in either of them,the only water supply was from a hose pipe from a green house.
B. The camp site was 15 mins from the market with nothing happening i.e music to make the punters want to stay and shop
C. Festival !!! all the bands were in different local pubs not in one site near traders as in everyohter festy ive ever been to in 18 years
D.zero advertising,we saw more traders than MOPs
E. Zero,no i really mean zero washing facilitys,the hose had to be turned on,then leg it down the path ,fill your water bottles,sprint back up the garden to turn it off ,im fucked off as the "organiser" new there would be food sellers there and didnt provide basic cleaning facilitys for our pitch fee,advice please ,i may just cancel the cheque altogether and let her try and get it off me,do i have the right ?

those are just of the top of my head but there was loads of other probs,i want to contact my bank and ask them to hold my cheque till i ask a few questions,what should an organiser have to provide and what are the minimum requirements i.e toilets,how many per persons (100 persons = one toilet cleaned every day ?)
My gripe is the organiser sold tickets in advance so they new exactly how many people were coming for the "fsetival" and on top of that add locals as well.
We did meet some very nice people and did a bit of networking i also had "a word" with the organiser and said
exactly how i felt :twisted:

Gandi

Postby Gandi » Mon May 15, 2006 9:22 pm

E. Zero,no i really mean zero washing facilitys,the hose had to be turned on,then leg it down the path ,fill your water bottles,sprint back up the garden to turn it off ,im fucked off as the "organiser" new there would be food sellers there and didnt provide basic cleaning facilitys for our pitch fee,advice please ,i may just cancel the cheque altogether and let her try and get it off me,do i have the right ?

Did you sign an agreement with them beforehand Martin?
If so,what did it stipulate that you would get as part of the pitch ie: were any facilities specifie or was it just a pitch fee?

If you signed paperwork beforehand and you cancel the cheque then you will be in breach of the agreement (i believe)- irrespective(sic) of whether the other party is in breach or not . This could make any complaint more difficult than it might be otherwise.

Personally, i'd cancel the cheque and damn the consequences, BUT it's not my business or reputation that may suffer.

Just my 2d worth

Now there's two kinds of wet in my pants!

Martin Cowley

Postby Martin Cowley » Tue May 16, 2006 12:15 am

nah didnt sign owt,just never thought id be at such a shoddy event,well,you live n learn i suppose :P

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue May 16, 2006 6:20 am

I would suggest you treat it as a learning experience, and be glad it came early in your career, before you have a really complicated food stall to maintain. At least now you know exactly what to ask when booking a show, and that experience has to be a useful one :?

david smith

Postby david smith » Tue May 16, 2006 9:03 am

Cancel the cheque and forget about it, there will IMHO be nothing that the "organiser" can do.

It would not be cost effective or productive for her to go legal, and in my experience the County Court would as likely support you as her.

As Sally says, you are now older and better informed if not wiser!

Best wishes
David

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Wed May 24, 2006 1:12 am

Martin,
Only just seen this thread. If you haven't done it already, I'd agree with David cancel your cheque. Write them a letter saying why (ie the facilities that you were in effect paying for were not as expected) -and remember that you have the full backing of the NMTF in any reasonable arguement. And if the cheque has been presented, write and ask for your money back immediately - threaten the Small Claims court if they don't -and again point out that you have the whole wieght of the NMTF behind you. this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that your membership is for. If necessary pm me with the details and I'll be able to let you know just what support you can get!

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:50 pm

what are the minimum requirements i.e toilets,how many per persons (100 persons = one toilet cleaned every day ?)

The last lot of portaloos I visited had stickers in them which said (more or less) 'this facility will do five people for a 40 hour working week. Any more than that and there may be ensuing unpleasantness'. So roughly 200 person hours per turdis.

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Postby Lord High Everything Esle » Wed May 24, 2006 5:18 pm

Ah, as an accountant I see that 250 hours might be the correct figure. Now I am a regular guy each day and taking me as an average example, so that is 5 guys for 5 days = 250 turd/hours? Now say a visitor comes to an event for 4 hours instead of 40 so we now have 5 guys for 5 days times 10 (40/4) = 250 turds, no visitors.

I think its time to go home its been a long day. Talk about creative accounting. :twisted:

Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

david smith

Postby david smith » Thu May 25, 2006 10:58 am

There's a publication known in the trade as "The Purple Book"

It's real title is "The Event Safety Guide" and it is published by the Health & Safety Executive. Failing to follow it's guidelines leaves event organisers open to all sorts of claims if the sh** hits the fan, if I might be so indelicate.

The guidance on provision of toilets is quite specific.

If anyone wants to know what it is, e-mail me. I can't be arsed putting it here, and anyway, the book's £20, and knowledge is power :twisted: :twisted:

Best wishes
David

Return to “Traders Discussion”