Do you pay tax

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

echoesfromhistory

Do you pay tax

Postby echoesfromhistory » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi

having attended an event at very short notice over the August Bank Holiday - we had quoted our fees and were told these were very fair - the major historic site operator still hasn't paid us. I invoiced them as normal for the agreed fee at the end of the weekend, I've chased it a few times and eventually a week ago we were asked to complete their 'recognised supplier' forms - I did this and now they say they can only employ us as a 'consultant' and will stop PAYE tax and NI from the agreed fee.

I'm employed full time and pay normal tax, but our historic activities are invoiced in our 'trading name' or in my wife's name who earns well below the minimum limit for income tax .....

Any advice?

Cheers G & T

sally
Post Knight

Re: Do you pay tax

Postby sally » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 pm

it will come right as it goes through the self assessment form at the end of the year. If the have charged you paye and you are under the limit, you'll get a refund. If both of you did the work though, presumably you are splitting it 50:50 for self assessment purposes, or are you working for free and she is charging the fee? Whatever happens, as long as it goes through the books and the self assessment or partnership return system, it should all come right in the end. If you provided proof of self employment status up front though, it should have gone through on an IR exempt form

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am

Sounds like that client is a bit confused... but Sally is right and although it will hurt lots for any job done you will eventually get it back hopefully.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Discuss your expenses allowances with them. Invoice them petrol etc.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

[mod] Moved to a more relevant forum[/mod]

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I've had to fill in supplier forms with almost every big organisation including TV and film companies. As said above if you do the right paperwork it should all sort itself out. However make sure you get paid what they said you would get paid.
I don't know who it works but somehow they check through your NI number that you are self employed and are paying tax.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 pm

somehow they check through your NI number that you are self emplyed and are paying tax.

yep, its a statutory requirement of employers now. No longer is 'but they told me they would declare it' able to get you out, you are supposed to check up or get fined if the brown sticky stuff hits the rotary air moving device.
Last edited by Mark Griffin on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

FionaDowson

Postby FionaDowson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:27 am

I'm intrigued by the idea of being paid to demonstrate anything. I just seem to get people asking me read runes or demonstrate spinning to raise money for their charity.

I happily teach brownies etc to knit with (obviously) no charge but I do feel let down when people ask me to do my day job (divination) for free.

I thought consultants' fees were usually quite large?

My experience of dealing with the Revenue is that they are really helpful and will give you loads of advice about all the things you can put down against tax. I think mileage is 45p/mile at the moment. You should be able to put down some of your meals etc

Capital cost of tools, say a spinning wheel, is 50% a year. If I buy a wheel for £100 I claim £50 in year 1, £25 in year 2, £12.50 in year 3 etc so by the time I'm down to less than a fiver I'm probably about to upgrade my wheel anyway.

Hope you had a fun w/e

Fiona
www.startarot.weebly.com and www.startarotspinning.webs.com

Return to “Traders Discussion”