Cleaning a canvas tent?

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Barefoot Leather

Cleaning a canvas tent?

Postby Barefoot Leather » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:42 pm

The end of the season has left me with a rather grubby set of canvas walls that desperately need cleaning before it all starts again... For lots of reasons I can't do this myself. I'm aware of two companies who offer this service but I wondered if anyone had had their tent cleaned and how it all worked out? A recommendation is worth a hundred phone calls!

My tent is now three years old, made by Victor James. It has been superb and stood up to all kinds of filthy weather with no worries and I don't want to spoil it now.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice please?

Cheers,

Ray

"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps"

http://www.barefootleather.co.uk

steven pole
Post Centurion

Re: Cleaning a canvas tent?

Postby steven pole » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Could you use a Kercher pressure washer and then paint the re waxing stuff onto it?

Barefoot Leather

Postby Barefoot Leather » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:19 am

No idea, Steve. Could you?

steven pole
Post Centurion

Postby steven pole » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:55 am

I've not tried it myself, but i recon it would work. i'd avoid soap etc though.

I Am Actually A Hero

Postby I Am Actually A Hero » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Upon seeing your post, I remembered I was looking at getting my tent cleaned at the end of the season, so did some investigating in the South West (Somerset area). Albion Tents are based near me, and so is their sister company Boldscan who do marquees for weddings etc. I figured they wouldnt very-well turn up with a dirty tent to a wedding; and so they pointed me in the direction of the company below. The prices may well be out (:probably are) but it is a place to start.
Cleaning, reproofing, mould stain removal, collection/delivery etc.
Hope it helps.

"
Need a tent drying/washing/re-proofing? I've just had a good chat with Sidmouth Marine (http://www.sailcanvascleaning.co.uk/marquees-canopies/) who offer all these things and more for medieval tents. Approx 'on the spot' prices (per tent + vat) are: £55 drying; wash & dry £110; wash, reproof, dry: £245.50. These are for my monster tent so smaller ones are cheaper. Bulk discount likely on an official quote. Lead-time about 7-10 days.
"

Kieran

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

an mileage in talking to your local small carwash place- the sort that uses a pressure washer and buckets, see if they will do it last thing before their day off and hang it up to dry under the canopy the next day?

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:30 am

if its deep ingrained mud try dry brushing it, we had to do a 16 ft by 24 ft tent, inside and out, worked out at about 160 ft brushing, my right arm was formidable afterwards :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

Barefoot Leather

Postby Barefoot Leather » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I've done the brushing thing (sadly not a huge success...) and I'm going to try the pressure washing next. If that fails, it looks like I'm off to Sidmouth!

Cheers,

Ray

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:47 am

It might be worth approaching your local equine people. My local vet can put 2 or 3 horse blankets through his industrial washing machine so is well used to tent sections from me and is happy for them to be as mucked up as horsey ones.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Traders Discussion”