accepting card payments at markets

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Izabela Pitcher

accepting card payments at markets

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:04 am

I think the time has come for us to start accepting credit card payments at the markets. there are a few gizmos that can supposedly do that via mobile phone ( though i haven't found much for Blackberry, alas). not possible to get a merchant account at my bank for another year or so, so that option is out.
for those of you who do use them - are there any mobile phone card readers you'd recommend?
any advice will be hugely appreciated!
iz

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

sally
Post Knight

Re: accepting card payments at markets

Postby sally » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:56 pm

We have just taken delivery of an izettle, which so far looks promising. You get a 'proper' gizmo for the customer to put their card into and enter their pin whilst you put the amount in on our phone linked to it by bluetooth. We havent used it in anger yet, but it looked a good started solution, fees approx the same as taking a paypal payment and no monthly costs, so reckoned it was worth a try. Got ours through our business bank account so it linked up very easily

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:30 pm

yes, i have checked that too - but it doesn't work on blackberry :-( i even registered with them and only at the end it tells you what devices are compatible...

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 pm

go for one that gives you a manual click clack type of one, many of the shows you do may be in castle grounds etc, thick stone walls cut off signal, we've used 2 different companies, the last one supplied a manual one which we've used 75% more than the shitty, cant pick up a signal piece of electrical crap they gave us as well

"you dont make friends with salad!"

Lionheart Replicas

Postby Lionheart Replicas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:22 pm

I looked at smartphone card readers when I had a Blackberry & found that they all worked just on iphone or Android. I was due an upgrade & so swapped to an Android phone which made the old Blackberry look anything but ‘smart’, but that’s another story...

The Mpowa card reader does advertise that it will work on Blackberry - the only problem being that it’s not available in the UK yet. You can pre register for the service, which gets you a £25 discount on the £50 cost of the reader when it becomes available.

If you want a smartphone reader right now though I fear that your only option is to ditch the Blackberry. If that’s not a viable option & you don’t want to wait for Mpowa then you might look at PayPal’s pro account, which you may well be able to get even if you’re unable to get a conventional merchant account. This will give you a ‘virtual terminal’, which is an online credit card terminal that you can access via any smartphone, tablet or laptop. You just enter the card details manually (i.e. it’s not chip & pin) & process the transaction. I don’t know what PayPal’s acceptance criteria are though & at £20 a month it will be much more expensive than a smartphone card reader.

Colin

paste

Postby paste » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 am

Hi,
Come and have a chat in the ILHF office and i'll let you have cdetails on my supplier - pretty good - Firstdata!
Regards
Dave A (Pike And Shot Events Limited)

Druid

Postby Druid » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi folks,
I have just switched to what I think is a good deal. £60 once off then £12.99 per month inc. chip & pin reader and upto £1000 per month can be taken without ANY more charges!!

See me at ILHF this w/e

Druid (Mercia Sveiter)
Treasures of Historic traders branch National market traders federation.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today because if you like it you can do it again tomorrow!

Return to “Traders Discussion”