Help me price this please!

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

What would be a sensible selling price for these?

no-one will buy those, even for the cat to sleep on
6%
£10
3%
£20
25%
£30
42%
£35
25%

Total votes: 36

sally
Post Knight

Help me price this please!

Postby sally » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:26 am

This isnt actually 'historic', its something I'm working on as a 'filler' for my range as I'm trying a stand at a non-re-enactment fair this year. Trouble is I havent a clue how to price it.

Could anyone with a few spare moments have a quick peep at the pics and description and pick a likely selling price for me fromthe poll list. They are 100% wool, have about 2-3 hours work in them, but are 'no frills' in as much as they are plain knit and there is no fancy finish to the long edges. I was aiming for a practical wrap rather than a lacey high fashion thing.
http://www.sallypointer.com/stoles

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Postby Kate Tiler » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Beautiful Sally!

Couple of suggestions - I love the description but add the dimensions & the weight of the finished garment - this will help people see the value & work out if they need to order one or two to go round them!

The colours in the bottom picture look intriging - maybe have a couple of the wearing style examples in these other colours?

Also I'm sure I've seen some famous painter paint a picture of some scottish fisherwomen wrapped in these style shawls - you might have a historic market for them too, as well as fashion!

http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:07 pm

Sally, very practical and almost certain to go down well with re-enactors and MOP's alike.. we all know how it can turn chilly in the evenings even at the height of summer.. I would suggest a price break of around £23.50... £26.50 something like that.. buyers are more often than not drawn to a price break rather than a round number... you'd be surprised how much more sell at "something pounds.50p or something pounds.99p"

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:48 pm

They are lovely Sally.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:56 pm

What a difficult decision, I know. With hand-crafted items it is impossible to charge for your time, the price would be too high for almost everyone. I am currently thinking about the price of the hand-dyed yarns I am currently doing - should really be washing hanks, but I have not used the computer for three days and my in-mail is 397, most of it spam, so I read your post whilst waiting for all the spam to empty into the mail-washer.

Anyway, where is the fair you are going to. This is because the price can vary according to the part of the country you are in, and the type of visitors.

Do you want to sell lots, then charge less. If you would like it to be exclusive, then charge more.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Its the Wonderwool Wales thing (part of the smallholders show at Builth Wells on May 20/21), I've not been before, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Its all really a big experiment to see how my stuff works in a non-reenactment setting, so I'm not expecting miracle sales, but I don't want to do myself short by underselling either.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:52 pm

Funnily enough I had a holiday one Christmas at Builth Wells. Nice town, but not in the cold when everything has closed down.

Now, if everyone else is selling woolly things you do have a pricing problem. Maybe wait until you get there and have a sneaky look at other people's pricing levels on the Friday.

My experience is that the general public outside re-enactment are very similar to those who come to re-enactment events.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:17 am

I always find pricing something up one of the hardest things to work out. Easy enough to work out what it should be charged at, but actually putting a figure where it will sell is not quite so easy.

I'd have gone for a £20 figure for the time, plus cost of wool and about £5.00 pure profit on top. If it's hand made, rather than machine made, you could probably ask another £5-£10. Could be worth making a big point of that if it's the case as it can help sell.

Might be worth looking at what the high-street sells a similar wrap for and adjusting slightly to be close.

Mrs. Babyjuice

Postby Mrs. Babyjuice » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:17 am

Lovely stoles indeed.

Incorporating what's already been said above; why not check out the oppositions' prices, then put them on for say £29.99 each/ £34.99 - buy one get x% off your second/subsequent purchase. And advertise it as a summer special or show promotion or whatever?

Depending what quality the show is , I believe you could sell them for more than £35 - I've seen similar in boutiques for well over £90 - 100. Yours are handmade and can be bespoke.

Good luck, they're fab!

Maker of fine bespoke copperfoiled stained glass.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
www.devoncomplementarytherapy.co.uk

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:41 am

Thanks people! All very helpful and encouraging comments

It would really help if the people who felt they were unsaleable or only worth £10 would offer some constructive comments. If there are valid reasons for thinking that (rather than that you personally wouldnt want one, which wasnt the question) then it would help me refine my methods, salespitch etc if I had some feedback on why you think the best part of three hours work and a pound of wool is going to be worth nothing at a market that is aimed at promoting handmade woollen items!

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:46 am

Neibelungen wrote: If it's hand made, rather than machine made, you could probably ask another £5-£10. Could be worth making a big point of that if it's the case as it can help sell.

Never sure how to pitch knitting like this, as it is largely machine made, but on a hand cranked manual machine, so I do handle every inch of yarn (you have to on my machine) plus all the setting up, sorting tension as you go and casting off, crochet, blocking etc. The general consensus on the net is that this counts as handmade, but because a machine has been involved I'm never quite sure how accurate that is as a description. I suppose its parallel to a handmade costume still being handmade even if every bit of stitching was machine worked?

Any thoughts anyone? Can I call these handmade? I was erring on the side of caution and going to put 'made by me in Wales' rather than 'handmade' on the lable, but dithering a bit now.

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:42 am

sally wrote:
Any thoughts anyone? Can I call these handmade? I was erring on the side of caution and going to put 'made by me in Wales' rather than 'handmade' on the lable, but dithering a bit now.

Yes yo can Sally as there is a difference between "Hand Made" and "Hand Knit"
Going back to pricing.. when you buy stock ( like we do) you have to add your "mark-up" generally this is between 25% and 75% but it is hard when you are a manufacturer as you have to take into account so many more things before you even think of your mark-up..

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"

"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"

www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:26 am

How much would one of these cost in a national trust shop? Then there are the Sheep shops

I would put at least £29.99 to £34.99 for them - this would be consistent with garments of a similar type.

I think the idea of having a sqizz at the prices of your competitors when you get there is a good one - but look at it through one of our previous discussions - 3hours at £10 plus materials. Don't sell yourself short

Cheryl
Shgadowlight Designs

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:29 am

Sally,

it is only one person who has said they wouldn't buy one - don't get h8ng up on the negatives - mind you I can her the words pot and kettle being muttered in my ear - 'm a fine one - one neative comment and I'm beating myself up with a very large stick.

Cheryl
Shadowlight Designs

Deb

Postby Deb » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Sally,
They are lovely, do not under price yourself, I would agree with the consensus of £30-£40.

I also hate pricing things but a fair amount of work has gone into them and the end result is excellent

agesofelegance

Postby agesofelegance » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:54 pm

Sally i would go for the upper bracket as well definitely worth over £35, machine made far east numbers are that price if not more on the high st and these are beautiful. I've sold fabric ones for that and more

Also print out and display your blurb alongside them on the stall with the pics of you wearing them and the olive oil soap etc it will help the sales.

I've done a fair few non re-enactment shows with my frocks (best one Hampton court flower show, 3 weddings and an opera singer) The public love stuff to read that shows things are a bit special and you know your stuff. if there are display boards etc it catches their eye and they will stop

good luck
Dawn

Tailors to history
www.agesofelegance.co.uk

2d

Postby 2d » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:34 pm

definitely the upper limit - and I'd agree that the person who put the silly numbers is just unhelpful (and should be ignored).

technically, if made using a hand powered machine you can get away with calling it hand made.

also, make a point of the "made in britain" aspect - definitely carries a premium, given all the far east imports these days - and if the wool's british, then you can push that too.

on the 'part of a pound thing (.99 / .50 / whatever) - I've never done that and have never found it any problem at all (main reason I don't do it is I can't be bothered with all the damn change!!), but that's a personal choice.

will send you a pm of my pricing formula - may be different for you (not making costume as such (ie not whole oufits)) but might be of some help)

debbie
(aka tuppence, who just remembered you don't have to log in before poisting in this section, and can't be bothered to re-type the lot :lol: )

Phoebe

Postby Phoebe » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:33 pm

Hello Sally, The higher the price, the more people will value the quality. Sell quality items too cheaply and the public will think they are "cheap". You need to pay yourself at least £10.00 per hr and then double it to cover all your other costs. How "up market" is the show in Beulth Wales? Is it likely to be attended by lots of tourists who are looking for quality items made in Wales? If so, presented well (make sure you wear one yourself, it looks splendid on you) you should be able to sell them easily.
It you have made them on a machine the term to use is "hand framed". I used to make jumpers this way and that is the excepted phrase to use.
Good luck.
Phoebe

caroline

Postby caroline » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:00 pm

Mmm...upper price range at least...and if they are heavyish...charge more.

I love the one in the photograph.

Forget injuries, never forget kindness - Confucius

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:02 am

Very nice! Sally rules. So does Martin Cowley. What are they puttting in the water down there? :lol:

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:40 am

craig1459 wrote:Very nice! Sally rules. So does Martin Cowley. What are they puttting in the water down there? :lol:

gin I think!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:31 am

mixing gin with water

the rot ahs set in

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:53 am

PS

Kate's quite right, they're perfect for late 18th century and later - so there is a historical market :D

Debbie

(tuppence - not logged in again :oops: )

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:36 pm

I have to agree with Nigel (however I am being careful I don't want to set any prescedents here :D :P 8) ) Mixing Gin with water shocking..... drink straight Gin

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Apathy Ain't A Policy

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:03 pm

"yes officer, nice mr Skev said I had to drink my gin straight, was only acting on orders...hic..."

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Mon May 01, 2006 10:17 pm

You could make a lovely graph with the results of the poll!
As with all such graphs you can strike off the numbers on either side furthest away fom the peak- hence 'don't bother, the cat wouldn't etc', £10 and £50 are out. This leaves you with the peak at around £30.

Would you do them as commissions too? If that were the case, you could charge a little more for the personal touch.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue May 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Skev sorry Gin Bombay saphire only anything else is only fit for washing the gun out should be mixed with tonic

See Baron Rojo for the measurements of a happy Nigel

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Tue May 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Oooh Bombay Sapphire, I could tell you about me and that stuff especially flying to America and gently sipping the complimentary ones for the duration of the flight from manchester to chicago and then on to SF. Amazing how that stuff creeps up on you.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Tue May 02, 2006 3:59 pm

I suppose you've tried that weird new one (Henricks?) that smells like aftershave? Martin knows the one I mean.

Gin that's made with rose petals and cucumber. I've got 3/4 bottle and am still verrrry unsure about it!

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Tue May 02, 2006 10:02 pm

If I were to be advising you in person, over a cup of hot chocolate, I would have to mention all your costs. There is the cost of your car, telephone, computer, knitting and other crafts equipment, public liability insurance, mortgage (if you work from home). Each item sold should contribute towards these. Then there are the additional costs you have to pay out for for this particular event from organising yourself to be at this event - phoning/emailing to fix your pitch, finding out about the event in the first place may have cost you a newspaper, or a car ride. Then your publicity for the public to take away, cost of the stall, phone calls or letters and postage to order the wool, training you have had to enable you to turn out the craft item and so on. Even down to the heating and lighting used whilst you were making the items, each cost needs to be covered by your sales. So working out the actual cost of making each item is a lot more complicated than the cost of the wool and the time taken to make it up into a garment.

Return to “Traders Discussion”