Two markets....

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Pete the Pong

Two markets....

Postby Pete the Pong » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 am

Anyone got any views (or feedback) on the running of TORM and the re-vamped NLHF on the same days within a few miles of each other??? I was at TORM, which was an excellent event for me personally, and my impression was that the two markets were complimentary with many customers attending both. So what do others think?

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

sally
Post Knight

Re: Two markets....

Postby sally » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 am

I certainly had some customers who had done part of their shopping at TORM then had come to find me at NLHF to pick up items they knew I would have, so that seemed to work well.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 am

The footfall at TORM did not seem to have been unduly affected, once the customers who had got stuck in the access issues at the other place had escaped, they still made it along.
Our take was the best ever, so all is good. Brought home by the RAC lorry again, though, which is getting a bit old.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

PoD

Postby PoD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

We did well trading at the NLHF. Most people had come along after visiting TORM to check out the event so having it on the same day was certainly working well. It was great to see so many familiar traders there along with traders from the continent and first time traders.

Once the access issues are solved it will go from strength to strength as the venue has no space constraints so can grow substantially as time goes on. We've already booked up for the March one.

...and then I discovered the wine!

Kate Tiler
Post Centurion

Postby Kate Tiler » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm

We had a brilliant time trading at TORM and have booked double the space to go back to in March :)
Partly so that I don't have to crawl out via Lucy's stall next door, but also because we have a number of projects that we'll have finished and can 'show & tell' about by then, so will need more space!

Didn't notice any difference having the two markets on at the same time - the accident on the M1 on Friday apparently delayed some people coming south.
I think some people chose to visit TORM and the NLHF on Saturday and possibly Sunday too, so that may have increased footfall compared with people who chose to visit the ILHF in October, but hard to tell.

We also had our best trading event ever - but I still stand by what I said to another trader - we play a long game! It'll can be up to 3 years after a show that we finally get an order fulfilled - I got back to find a project go-ahead for January 2013 that I first quoted for 2 years ago after meeting the company at TORM, having last heard from them again this February - you never know who you are talking to or who picks up details on the day.

http://www.katetiler.co.uk
http://www.companyofartisans.co.uk
"In art as in life everything is possible as long as it is based on love" Marc Chagall

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 pm

our take was up for the whole weekend, down for Friday but way up for Saturday, maybe the accident on the M1 was contributory, a great weekend, with us also booking a double sized pitch for next year :) maybe some enterprising person could work out a shuttle bus betwixt the 2 venues, cutting down traffic etc ? One thing I must point out though Robs Rolling Deli is not our stall :) , its Rob's who is investing his redundancy in his own business, I had so many people ask if I had him at the NLHF so I thought I'd set the record straight, he sells our jerky, fruit leathers and sweets (but he buys them wholesale) and sells his own cheeses, jams /curds etc that he gets from other people and stuff that we dont sell either, he is probably taking over many of the shows we do as we have to find some regular income next year which may curtail our outdoor shows a little, cant be bottied to rely on the weather for a good days trading anymore :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

Cap-a-pie

Postby Cap-a-pie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 am

Yep Friday was down for us but kind of expected that was going to be the case. Saturday was as normal but Sunday was incredibly busy. Have booked in for next year

Suppliers of Authentic Medieval Maille

http://www.capapie.co.uk

AndyandHelen

Postby AndyandHelen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm

As a visitor to both fairs I think TORM looked busiest on Saturday, on Sunday we arrived at 11am and found a space inside main carpark straightaway unlike Saturday when it was 'go straight to overspill'. Numbers like that have got to be encouraging for you guys?
Must say it was very nice to catch up with a few old faces and meet some new ones. Oh and about people spending, we certainly did...and could have spent more. Try to ensure that you can take credit cards and also how about a post on after the event service possibly as a loss leader?
On another front what about a shuttle service between events? Do you think there would be any takers?

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

We found that attendance wasn't directly related to sales. Although it was a bit more quiet on the Friday, we had several museums and historic venues make enquiries about supplying them with some of Mike's work. Sales on the Friday were slightly up from the previous show, and sales overall were up about 10%. We prefer a steady stream of people rather than a huge rush, the pace at TORM was ideal (meaning I got away a couple of times to visit other traders and walk around with friends).

We believe that people who plan to spend came to TORM, some had been to the ILHF too but many seemed to come to TORM for the traders who were there with intent to purchase/order/pick up orders.

It's hard to tell if two markets really made a difference, if it does that will be something to concern the stand-alone ILHF if people wait for the two markets?

Prime practitioner of headology and purveyor of beads.

Tillerman Beads

Uncle Bulgaria

Postby Uncle Bulgaria » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:09 pm

On another front what about a shuttle service between events? Do you think there would be any takers?

My personal take on this would be that I cannot see how it would be practical. Neither places have a large enough carpark to take a days worth of parked cars. TORM's main carpark was full very early on the Saturday and there were still queues at 11.30 to enter, even with the overflow carpark If those cars were there permantely all day whilst people "shuttled" it would prevent the later arrivals having a chance of parking at all.

Without it being taken the wrong way, NHLF's carpark is smaller than TORM and therefore would encounter the same problems.

This life must be a test, if it were the real thing we'd have been given better instructions.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:09 pm

might be a good idea for people who use public transport if there was a shuttle, but I can see it being a bit abused, using one market as a free carpark and visiting the other on the bus

"you dont make friends with salad!"

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Martin wrote:might be a good idea for people who use public transport if there was a shuttle, but I can see it being a bit abused, using one market as a free carpark and visiting the other on the bus

free entry to markets and charge for the carparking / buses then

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Uncle Bulgaria

Postby Uncle Bulgaria » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:25 pm

[quote][free entry to markets and charge for the carparking / buses then/quote]

Would in an ideal world be an answer. However, free entry to the market and only paying for the bus, would indeed pay for the buses but would not pay the substantial amount of money needed to put the market on.

This life must be a test, if it were the real thing we'd have been given better instructions.

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Uncle Bulgaria wrote:
[free entry to markets and charge for the carparking / buses then/quote]

Would in an ideal world be an answer. However, free entry to the market and only paying for the bus, would indeed pay for the buses but would not pay the substantial amount of money needed to put the market on.

thats why suggested charging for the carparking?
david already has free entry so the event must fund itself through magic :lol:

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 pm

AndyandHelen wrote:... on Sunday we arrived at 11am and found a space inside main carpark straightaway unlike Saturday when it was 'go straight to overspill'.

That might have been related to it being Remembrance Sunday, lots of people came in later than usual.

Tillerman Beads

AndyandHelen

Postby AndyandHelen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Fair enough, thinking about it it was more like an hour and a half later. Hectic weekend all things considered. Although not as hectic as some of you traders!

Teagirl

Postby Teagirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm

We always find Sundays difficult to judge, as it seemed steady but not crowded, but it was a good day for sales. I genuinely think that the days of markets as big social events is past, mostly because of things like the cost of fuel and the economy. People feel the pinch in a lot of ways, and they seem to affect impulse purchases quite a lot. We're always grateful for any sale as we know how much more thought it seems to take to spend £10 now than it did three or four years ago. What used to be spare change is now a meal at home, or so it seems.

Tillerman Beads

Lord High Everything Esle
Post Centurion

Postby Lord High Everything Esle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm afraid we have a terrible market at TORM.

For several reasons, I think

1). There were plenty of visitors on the Saturday, so no complaints there, but many were not spending (or reducing spending) due to the economic climate.

I suspect there is some sort of pecking order when it comes to spending during a recession:
Petrol to get there
Entry Fee
Big shiny sword
Steel hat
Good boots
Food and Drink
Cloth/Leather/Raw materials if you can make your own.
Padded jacket
Shirt
Hoes
Livery
Spoon, eating knife, drinking vessel, bowl
Hat
Kit Bag
Interesting new object(s) never seen before.
Authentic Tent
Chair
Table
Lantern
Jolly Box………

Casting my mind back to the times when TORM was new to us, as punters. We would always go away with a car full, but now we have most things a plenty and can only be tempted by unusual things (or make them ourselves), like A BIG HAT, a little fleam and several interesting books.

Other things had an effect too -

2) Several seasons of poor weather and cancelled shows has diminished recruitment so we have few new entrants to the hobby. This may affect markets for several years because most societies provide kit for the first year, or so, as a new members assemble their own.

3) My stock had nothing new to tempt people, they had seen it all before. I can do something about that one though.

4) I may have saturated the market for big chests!!

5) There is more competition for boxes.

6) Kentwell had an event that Saturday and the 11th of the 11th may have kept some military types away.

7) If there are two markets and only one lot of cash you don't have to be Mrs. Thatcher to do the household accounts.

Will/Dave, the Jolly Box Man and Barber Surgeon

"Physicians of all men are most happy; what good success soever they have, the world proclaimeth, and what faults they commit the earth coverest." Frances Quarles (1592-1644) Nicocles

Return to “Traders Discussion”