Horatio Nelson costume

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

louisajane13

Horatio Nelson costume

Postby louisajane13 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello. I am looking to make an accurate replica of a Horatio Nelson costume, but was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where I might find quality fabrics, medals/badges/hats or hat patterns etc. I have made women's costumes but this is completely new to me and I can't find any pattern books online for military costumes.
I'd really appreciate any help on this
Thanks very much
Louisa

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Horatio Nelson costume

Postby John Waller » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:00 pm

louisajane13 wrote:Hello. I am looking to make an accurate replica of a Horatio Nelson costume, but was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on where I might find quality fabrics, medals/badges/hats or hat patterns etc. I have made women's costumes but this is completely new to me and I can't find any pattern books online for military costumes.
I'd really appreciate any help on this
Thanks very much
Louisa

I hope you have a substantial budget? Because it will not be cheap. Have you seen http://www.thedearsurprise.com/?p=1436 some nice pictures there and also, of course, on the NMM website. Perhaps the best book on naval uniforms of the period is Dressed to Kill: British Naval Uniform, Masculinity and Contemporary Fashions, 1748-1857 by Amy Miller.

Good luck and please post pics of your efforts.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: Horatio Nelson costume

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:11 pm

There was chat about doing a naval uniform on here before- might be worth doing a search.

I recall that the lacing for even a junior officer started at around £1000 of materials.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Return to “Traders Discussion”