Winter weather

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

LadyL

Winter weather

Postby LadyL » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Upon returning the piece of catering equipment I'd hired for the last 2 weekends, my supplier informed me that he had heard on the news that we are set to have a bad winter, yet again. Apparently it is going to start in late October with snow forcast.

I've checked various sites online to try to gain more insight into this, but so far have only found that it is going to be cold. Snow is not expected until mid/late December with January being the worst time.

However, I will keep my eyes peeled & ears open as to any update or information.

Would it be worth some of us joining together to take out a joint single event insurance policy in case of bad weather cancellation (thinking of Lincoln in particular here) - sort of forming a trader conglomoration for that show.

I will dig around & check prices over the next few days to see whether it would be feasible or not.

The Giddy Kipper - Pirate Galley Ship of Event Catering Services
"it's rustic because life's too short to peel potatoes"
"Eat when ye are hungry, drink when ye are dry"

levyarcher

Re: Winter weather

Postby levyarcher » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:24 pm

I have heard that snow is expected to fall on Oct 20th.
How the forecasters can predict that when they can't even get tomorrows weather right!!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:59 pm

IF it did, I can assure it of a happy welcome from a lad whose birthday is but three days after that, and has been hoping for more snow since a week after the last lot melted.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Hinny Annie

Postby Hinny Annie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 am

snow was forecast for october a couple of weeks ago, i am not sure what kind of bad weather policy you think we could get, if its cancelled we would get our pitch fee back anyway, and i cant see any policy that would compensate us for loss of earnings because surely that would have to based on last years takings ?

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

houseoffreyja

Postby houseoffreyja » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:36 am

I remember that it was predicted at the start of this year, that the summer was going to be very hot! So, I'm taking all long term weather reports with a large lump of salt.

LadyL

Postby LadyL » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:12 am

I have obtained a quote for myself to cover me for up to £10,000 (loss of stock, staff wages, travel expenses etc) through cancellation of the event due to adverse weather. £152.00.

It's less if I cover for £5,000.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:10 pm

just out of interest, how on earth can they say its going to snow on x,y,z date with any accurate detail at all ?? it was going to be a BBQ summer wasn't it this year ? of all the things to worry about when self employed , worrying about the accuracy of the single most difficult thing in the world to predict (weather) is just a bit silly LOL, buy a spade and snow shoes for your van and pray to what ever god / god's you believe in to give us a f*king break just for 1 year :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

LadyL

Postby LadyL » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 am

Martin wrote:just out of interest, how on earth can they say its going to snow on x,y,z date with any accurate detail at all ??

Apparently it's something to do with SSR's (whatever they may be) in May, though berry flourishing & early blooming winter flowers are also an indicator. I've no idea how they predict all this stuff - it's probably all conjecture after the last 3 winters - I'm basing my assumptions on that, regardless of anything else.

I really hope we do get a break this year, but for me it's a small price to pay to cover the stock in the event of cancellation - last year cost me £12k in stock/disposables alone & I cannot afford another hit like that.

One would hope Lincoln Council et al have learned from last year & will have appropriate measures in place to tackle any such similar situation arising.

Snow tyres/socks are as expensive as taking out the insurance. From our discussions on FB, I reckon a couple of bags of cat litter, some old carpet, a broom & shovel should do the trick - it's only an issue on hills pretty much.

Hinny Annie

Postby Hinny Annie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 am

LadyL wrote:One would hope Lincoln Council et al have learned from last year & will have appropriate measures in place to tackle any such similar situation arising.
Snow tyres/socks are as expensive as taking out the insurance.

to be fair Lady L the decision to cancel the market was nothing to do with the council, we were their wednesday morning and the council staff were busting their guts to clear the snow which to there credit they did, the Police and the Fire Brigade pulled the plug because they had run out of places to put the snow. The biggest problem they had was where to park all the cars and coaches as the showground was under 4ft of snow. Re snow chains, I would have thought they would work our cheaper in the long run as you only have to buy them once

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Noctule

Postby Noctule » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:37 pm

Hinny Annie wrote:Re snow chains, I would have thought they would work our cheaper in the long run as you only have to buy them once

Chains start for less than £40 delivered on ebay, and they aren't just for winter, they are a godsend at places like Hastings. Cat litter and carpet will only get you as far as how much of it you have brought, chains last until you take them off, and will pull Martin and Suzie's van sideways out of a drift at the Bishop's Palace (sorry Charles!) When you're done, put them back in the box for next time.

Just make sure you get the right size, and make sure you buy a set with a cross or diamond pattern chain, not ones with singles chains crossing the tyre.

Example on ebay...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x4-Van-16mm-Ice-Snow-Chains-K23-Tyre-185-16-/230679654617?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item35b59430d9

Mat

LadyL

Postby LadyL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:07 am

Hinny Annie wrote:

to be fair Lady L the decision to cancel the market was nothing to do with the council

I do apologise. Forgot it was H & S peeps who had the end say.

Thanks for the link to snow chains on ebay - I hadn't thought of getting them from there, but they are far cheaper than I have found elsewhere. Definitely an option to be considered at that price.

Return to “Traders Discussion”