Looking for a good armourer

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

KeithFarrell

Looking for a good armourer

Postby KeithFarrell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey all, a brief request for help! In the next few months I'm going to be looking to spring for a fully custom made plate harness, as will my colleague Ben. We are both looking for a gothic style harness, custom fitted to each of us; we don't want an off-the-shelf set of armour, unless of course it just so happens to fit perfectly.

Does anyone have experience with different armourers, and can you recommend some people that we should get in touch with about this purchase? Thanks again for the help!

-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: Looking for a good armourer

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:01 pm

The two deciding factors are your budget and time-limits.
No point going to Jeff Hedgecock or Master M if you want it within the next year and/or for less than £15k, for example.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:17 am

http://www.ryallarmouries.co.uk/

http://www.mattblackarmour.co.uk/

http://englyshe-plate-armourie.co.uk/

These are the three that I could most recommend, taking into account build quality, delivery times and customer service. I don't want to annoy you by telling you something you already know, but this is going to cost you.

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Cap-a-pie

Postby Cap-a-pie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 am

Suppliers of Authentic Medieval Maille

http://www.capapie.co.uk

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for the links guys. I know this is going to be a costly affair, but beyond that I don't really know the process - this is the first time I have had both the money and inclination at the same time to make this kind of purchase, so any hints or tips or information will be more than welcome!

-- Keith Farrell --

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 pm

The first thing to do would be decide on a look you want to go for. Gothic style armour is a bit like saying you want a hatchback car. There are still loads of varieties to choose from, from the early gothic armours of the 1440s, to the high gothic armours of the 1480s. Not only is there a lot of devlopment in design, there are also different styles depending on place of manufacture, the area of germany the harness is being used in, and the harnesses intended use.

A few things I would like to see are:

A Kastenbrust armour. These are early gothic, and I've not seen a decent working reproduction of a full harness yet. You will probably find most armourers will bite your hand off if you ask them to make one of these.

A Talhoffer harness. These guys are from the great mans earlier manuels, and are really cool looking. They mix later gothic with the Kastenbrust style, and would be perfect for making a fight demo step off the page.

These later Talhoffer guys are wearing more practical armours with a lot less in the way of sleeves. They are very typical gothic, but I've still not seen many like them. A lot of "gothic" armours end up looking Italian with fluting. One of these would stand out if done well, and you have the benefit of having images of the front and backs of the same harnesses.

KeithFarrell

Postby KeithFarrell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Zachos wrote:
A Talhoffer harness. These guys are from the great mans earlier manuels, and are really cool looking. They mix later gothic with the Kastenbrust style, and would be perfect for making a fight demo step off the page.

Those look like harnesses from the Gladiatoria manuscripts, as opposed to Talhoffer... Some of them do look pretty good though. Some look a bit mince, but the various Gladiatoria manuscripts do show a wonderful range of armours.

Zachos wrote:
These later Talhoffer guys are wearing more practical armours with a lot less in the way of sleeves. They are very typical gothic, but I've still not seen many like them. A lot of "gothic" armours end up looking Italian with fluting. One of these would stand out if done well, and you have the benefit of having images of the front and backs of the same harnesses.
[/quote]

These are definitely Talhoffer, and while some of his harnesses look a bit rubbish, some of them look excellent. I might follow this suggestion, I don't recall seeing many of this style of harness kicking about. Thanks for the suggestions :D

-- Keith Farrell --

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

KeithFarrell wrote:Those look like harnesses from the Gladiatoria manuscripts, as opposed to Talhoffer... Some of them do look pretty good though. Some look a bit mince, but the various Gladiatoria manuscripts do show a wonderful range of armours.

Good to know. I first came across them while searching for Talhoffer images, so assumed they were his earlier work. Now I know.

Sir_John_Thomas

Postby Sir_John_Thomas » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Got 2 more for you

St George armoury

http://www.stgeorgearmouryshop.co.uk/901.html

and Dressed to Kill

http://www.dtok.fsnet.co.uk/

hope these help too

"God said love thy neighbour as untoo thy self, unless they are Turkish, in which case, KILL THE B**TARDS!"

Richard IV before leaving on crusade

http://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Th ... fSkirbeck/

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:13 pm

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

wulfenganck

Postby wulfenganck » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Zachos wrote:
KeithFarrell wrote:Those look like harnesses from the Gladiatoria manuscripts, as opposed to Talhoffer... Some of them do look pretty good though. Some look a bit mince, but the various Gladiatoria manuscripts do show a wonderful range of armours.

Good to know. I first came across them while searching for Talhoffer images, so assumed they were his earlier work. Now I know.
These are from the Gladiatorisa - apparently around the 1440-1450 timerslot. Talhjiffer has some variations as he left several manuals from sa timedpan of 1443 to 1467.
HIs two earlier manuscript (from 1443 and the Königswaldegg COdex, late 40s, around 1450) clearly show Kastenbrust design.
The 1459 codex Thott (now in Copenhagen, Denmark) is a more familiar german gothic design, skipping the rather edgy Kastenbrust-design, but still simple and not as elaborated as the post-1470 fluted german gothic design - which is the one you'll find today in use of reenactors. Most of the 15th century reenactors have either italian style or german design post-1470s; both have been exportzed in huge numbers all over europe. There were for example common italian export-harness "ala tedesca" which included both italian design as well as german gothic style elements; same with export-harnesses for England....
If it's on a budget, definitely try out St. George Armopry.

Return to “Traders Discussion”