How are you finding trading at the mo ?

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
Absolute Wizard

How are you finding trading at the mo ?

Postby Martin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:33 pm

How are you finding trade at the mo ? just got back from yet another show that was almost a complete waste of time, got to go back tomorrow as we're all set up etc but we're just not looking forward to it and I know at least 2 traders who said they wouldn't but luckily for us its a local show so travel costs and accom are cheap. It was the same last weekend, a show that for the previous 4 years has been excellent and got better each year was awful, takings down by about 60% and that seems to be the way of things at the mo, if it wasn't for the website Im not sure how we'd manage. Its a worry to be sure

"you dont make friends with salad!"

paul bennett

Re: How are you finding trading at the mo ?

Postby paul bennett » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Im finding its up and down all over. I spent the last 2 months at various shows and you just couldnt tell.

Carlisle: Ok but not great
Otley Show: OK but not great
Blenheim Palace: Waste of time
Cheshire Show: Good on the day, plenty of orders

Weather seemed to make no difference

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Graham Cooley

Postby Graham Cooley » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 pm

We don't trade at many shows but generally things have been quiet for some time. Everyone has tightened their belts and are reducing what they spend. I can't see this changing in the near future. However, if you can hang in there I expect it to gradually pick up over the next couple of years.

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:25 am

I've personally shifted policy in that I now am very cautious of events where I am not pretty well certain are going to be profitable. The massive increase in the cost of fuel over the last few years means that the further away from Norfolk a show is, the less likely I am to book in. First priority goes to events which pay me a fee to be there and demonstrate. (Fortunately more and more of these). Secondly the offer of a free pitch and expenses. Free pitch by itself is not always good news, but of course there is always the prospect of a good party, which in itself can bribe me!! :devil:

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 am

I may be untypical....The only shows we attend with traders seem to be the multi-periods...Have a look round, see if there's anything I fancy...But 99% of my purchases get done on-line at home..........

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Jackie Phillips wrote:By and large I've never been busier. However, I've noticed a marked drop in the number of off the peg sales and a large increase in made-to-measure orders.
What that signifies I've no idea, perhaps that people are planning their money more, rather than impulse buys, but it makes very little difference to the business.
Thank goodness

I think that you posted the above under the wrong thread Jackie!
Yes, I'm still very busy -but mainly with the books and the orders for them mainly come in as commissions, rather than sales at markets.

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Ania M

Postby Ania M » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:06 pm

So far, much better than last year, but we've focused on the bigger, more lucrative events this year, as we did a lot last year that were barely worthwhile.

Dilligaf

Postby Dilligaf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:55 am

As I supply mostly to re-enactors I am still working out which shows to do. But all in all not too bad at the mo.

So much mead so little time!

www.dilligafbedsnboxes.co.uk

Return to “Traders Discussion”