Catering for Traders @ Tewkesbury

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

LadyL

Catering for Traders @ Tewkesbury

Post by LadyL »

Hi all,

After several discussions with traders & the organisers, the Giddy Kipper will be catering at Tewkesbury, purely for traders & re-enactors.

We are going to be situated down near the battlefield & authentic camping.

At the moment, we welcome suggestions & feedback on our proposals.

We will be around from the Thursday to the Sunday evening. For those of you who are used to us, we are thinking of offering our weekend meal ticket option.

Basically, we need information as to whether it is likely any traders will want an evening meal on either the Friday or the Saturday night. During the day we propose to run a delivery service of a packed ploughman's type lunch (vegetarian & omnivore) utilising a similar system to (and I hate to say it) hospital meal choice cards! - these would be filled in on the Saturday & Sunday morning with your stall number & option.

We are contemplating a standard themed evening meal for the Friday & Saturday - eg, Friday is Italian night, so pasta, risotto, garlic bread, salad.

Saturday is curry night - curry, rice, naan bread, poppadums, accompaniments.

We will have dining areas available & propose to be open from 5.30 pm to 9.00 pm each evening.

As this is a trial run for us & the organisers, we will have a limited amount of food to guage response & popularity.

Breakfasts each morning will be a choice of Viking Porride, Battle Breakfast (more for the re-enactors) or breakfast roll with hot drink or fruit juice.

Our food will be considerably cheaper than the commercial caterers in the main area, since we are providing a service to those who assist in making the event happen.

More will be posted in the coming weeks.

Kind regards,
Rachael Reddy
aka Cap'n Macy Laine
Skipper of the Giddy Kipper

T/A Event Catering Services/Giddy Kipper
The Giddy Kipper - Pirate Galley Ship of Event Catering Services
"it's rustic because life's too short to peel potatoes"
"Eat when ye are hungry, drink when ye are dry"

Dilligaf

Re: Catering for Traders @ Tewkesbury

Post by Dilligaf »

Sounds like a good plan. its always hard to get hot food back from town.
So much mead so little time!

www.dilligafbedsnboxes.co.uk

The_Maille_Tailor

Post by The_Maille_Tailor »

Sounds good to me!
Didn't have time to grab anything during the days last year.
When will you have this clarified?
Cheers!
Gav
http://www.mailletailor.co.uk/ Fitting links into other links for over a decade now. If its maille I can make it fit.

The_Maille_Tailor

Any news?
:)
http://www.mailletailor.co.uk/ Fitting links into other links for over a decade now. If its maille I can make it fit.

hamster

Post by hamster »

last i heard she was definatly attending so if anyone wants to book try contacting her direct
http://www.giddy-kipper.co.uk/

The_Maille_Tailor

Excellent!
Thanks very much! :thumbup:

acecat999
Post Centurion

Post by acecat999 »

any idea whereabouts on site that this is being set up?
everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

hamster

Post by hamster »

Battle field

LadyL

Post by LadyL »

We are attending. Hamster - I've been trying to get in touch with you regarding access. I haven't had my trader pass sent through to me - am supposed to be travelling down on Thurs.

We're going to go with an evening & breakfast or lunch option for trader tickets. (Note only traders will be eligible for weekend meal tickets) we'll visit you on Thurs/Fri to introduce ourselves, as well as a form so we know which stalls you are allocated (for lunchtime delivery service).

Evening options are:

Friday Italian night: £5.00

Pasta with: note we will have a small amount of wheat/gluten free pasta available for intolerances/allergies

Tuscan meat ragu over seasoned spaghetti
Penne a la Vodka (v)
Pasta alla panna (ham, tomato, cream & herbs)
Penne with mushrooms, cream & spinach (v)
Garlic bread
Tossed salad

Ground black pepper & grated parmesan as standard accompaniments

Breakfasts

Battle Breakfast: Egg (fried or scrambled), bacon, sausage, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, bread roll, tea or coffee & glass of fruit juice £5.00
Breakfast rolls - Bacon, Egg or Sausage with drink. £2.50 single item, £3.00 2 items, £3.50 3 items
Viking porridge (v) - made with apples, pears, apricots, sweetened with honey, topped with cream & chopped nuts £2.50
Note: we can make omelettes if required, but please order & expect to wait 10 mins.

Saturday evening - Curry night - £5.00
Chicken balti
Meat rogon josh
Channa massala (v)
Falafel, with salad, couscous/rice & naan (v)
Pilau rice
Mini naan bread
mango chutney
Mint raita
Poppadums

TRADER ONLY packed lunch option: (to be delivered) £3.50

Multigrain rustic bread roll (v)
Cheese (v)
pate (ardennes or mushroom (v))
pickle (v)
coleslaw (v)
mixed salad (v)
fresh seasonal fruit (2 pcs)

We are planning on offering around 150 meals per serving. It will be a case of first come, first served on this occasion to test popularity & work out logistics. From discussions with several traders, it would appear that the lunch & evening meal option is the preferred choice, whereas we expect the re-enactors to be more interested in breakfast options. If all goes well, we will liaise with the organisers for next year & see how we can improve or cater directly for pre-paid meal tickets for those of you who are interested.

Kind regards,
Rachael Reddy
T/A Event Catering Services / The Giddy Kipper

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

quick suggestion, most of tewks traders dont use this site it might be worth getting some menus / details etc printed out and deliver one to each stall on Friday evening as people have arrived or set up, or ask if you can give some to the chaps putting traders in their pitches as they arrive :) your guaranteed more people will hear about it then :)
"you dont make friends with salad!"

hamster

Post by hamster »

You offering to help me then martin :thumbup: fri start is 7am finish midnight ish no lunch grab a drink when you can :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Martin »

what, trot behind you with a small hand full of flyers handing one to you to hand to a trader :twisted: , anyhoo, turns out she's already doing it on Thurs /Friday, was a good idea though :D :D
"you dont make friends with salad!"

Dilligaf

Post by Dilligaf »

What a great weekend of food, thanks alot my whole family enjoyed it. Please come back next year!
So much mead so little time!

www.dilligafbedsnboxes.co.uk

LadyL

Post by LadyL »

Many many thanks to all the traders & re-enactors who supported us for our first Tewkesbury event. The feedback has been wonderful; we've identified some logistical issues which we will iron out for next year.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend & we are thrilled you all enjoyed having us provide our service.

Next stop for us is Macclesfield 750 Charter event this coming weekend, followed by Midfest at Ragley Hall (6-7 August, again catering solely to traders & re-enactors) & Firey Jack's Medieval Weekend in South Wales (12-14 August).

We all look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Once again, many many thanks from the team:

Rachael Reddy (aka Captain "Kipper lips")
Mark Beckwith
Paul Reddy
Lord Norbury

houseoffreyja

Post by houseoffreyja »

Hi,
Just have to say catering on the Sunday evening was a wonderful idea. By the time we'd packed everything away, the last thing we wanted to do was cook. So having a meal ready for us was great. Well done.
Elaine