Lanark - Prowler Woes

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Noctule

Lanark - Prowler Woes

Postby Noctule » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

Once again there have been unwelcome visitors in show trading areas, this time around the small arena at Lanark.

On Saturday night at about 11pm somebody decided to take a peek into our tent. Luckily I was just the other side of the canvas so saw the walls being parted and for what ever reason this person left. I was able to follow her, I say her based on clothing and hair, which also suggests to me that the person is a reenactor, through an encampment (as in not around, but through a gap with, I assume, the intention of disappearing as quickly as possible) into plastic at which point I lost sight of her. However the lack of suitable security which allowed the incident to happen also meant I was unable to challenge the person in question to find out who they were and why they were keen to look into the tent.

On returning to the traders area word was past around, and it seems that security, for whatever reason, has once again proved to be dreadfully inadequate. MoP's have been entering the site from all sides (it's not a secure site by any means), stock has been stolen, and people reentering the site in vans after dark have not been challenged by Security.

Traders - Have A Care!

It seems that the troubles are happening more and more out of hours, and unhappily the only conclusion I can make from this is that there are thieves amongst us. Our tents are open during the day for all to see, but on a night we often don't give a second thought to somebody walking past in kit.

Mat

Nigel
Post Knight

Re: Lanark - Prowler Woes

Postby Nigel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:02 pm

I assume that you discussed this with the event organsiers prior to posting here

Lanark is in my opinion a superb site reasonably secure and the security has got better but its a big site

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Noctule

Re: Lanark - Prowler Woes

Postby Noctule » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Nigel wrote:I assume that you discussed this with the event organsiers prior to posting here

No. I have dicussed this with the other traders at our end of the site. I have not mentioned organisors, though they are aware of the situation, but this is a warning to fellow traders regarding at situation that, to be honest, the organisers may well not have control over.

Nigel wrote:Lanark is in my opinion a superb site reasonably secure and the security has got better but its a big site

No again. This is our fourth time trading here and the second time we have had trouble (two years ago a 'person-in-kit' stole a corset from our tent), and so feel qualified to say that the site is actually very insecure. It is on common land, the site is surrounded by 3 foot high plastic netting, and the 'security' was conspicuous by it's absence, in that I followed the individual concerned virtually the whole length of the site without seeing one member of security.

HOWEVER this is not a problem specific to Lanark. Out-of-hours incidents seem to be on the increase in general, this weekend has just stood out as having more incidents than we should have to bear. I am not critisising organisors, security arrangements or pointing fingers at at anyone to say 'it was you', I am saying that there have been yet more thefts and other intrusions in our camps, so be careful how you secure you tent and stock.

Mat

Return to “Traders Discussion”