taking credit cards by phone at shows?

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

taking credit cards by phone at shows?

Postby sally » Tue May 11, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to modern technology, but I'm considering upgrading my ancient brick like mobile phone to something that will do fancy modern things like emails and stuff, partly in a vague attempt to move with the times, but also thinking that maybe I can start using the Paypal Virtual Terminal thingumajig to start taking occasional credit card payments at shows.

Any of the other traders do this, or is it just a fact that all re-enactment events happen in areas with nil mobile phone coverage even if you stand on one leg and chant to the phone gods?

Failing the paypal possible option, how do those traders that take cards manage in areas with no phone coverage?

Jackie Phillips

Re: taking credit cards by phone at shows?

Postby Jackie Phillips » Tue May 11, 2010 5:45 pm

I use Adelante's mobilepos on an Orange PAYG phone. I have never been to a show where there was no coverage. I'm more likely to not get coverage at home!

If you would like to try it, I have an old-ish Blackberry that you can have for the cost of the postage, it's unlocked so you can use it on any network. It has all the relevant bits with it.

Jackie

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue May 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Jackie Phillips wrote:I use Adelante's mobilepos on an Orange PAYG phone. I have never been to a show where there was no coverage. I'm more likely to not get coverage at home!

If you would like to try it, I have an old-ish Blackberry that you can have for the cost of the postage, it's unlocked so you can use it on any network. It has all the relevant bits with it.

Jackie

That would be fab, will pm you!

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed May 12, 2010 9:35 am

Ali struggled to get reception on his card thingy at Lulworth. He was taking IOUs.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Hinny Annie

Postby Hinny Annie » Wed May 12, 2010 10:01 am

we struggle to get a signal at Tewksbury which is a pain in the behind

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Just popped in to say Ali struggled with his card thingy at Kentwell too. It might be his card thingy playing up. I lent him mine and gave him cash. That's happened twice. Other people's reception was dodgy but mine was fine.
You are given old fashioned slips of paper to use when connection fails. Then you post them off to the bank.

My all singing all dancing phone connects with the web so if you had a PayPal thingy on your website you could just bring it up and your customer pays as if they were at their computer or in a internet cafe or something.
A more long winded way would be to bring up the PayPal site and make a money request and get your customer to log into their email.......forget it. I wouldn't have remembered my password.......

Annie

Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

paul bennett

Postby paul bennett » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:53 am

there is a paypal app on the iphone, as well as the brilliant invoice2go.

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:28 am

paul bennett wrote:there is a paypal app on the iphone, as well as the brilliant invoice2go.

I downloaded the paypal app for the blackberry, and it doesnt seem to have a 'request money' feature, just a 'send money' one, unless I'm being incredibly dense...

paul bennett

Postby paul bennett » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 am

the iphone version has send, request and withdraw as tabs along the top. I missed it at first as well :$

If you can get it, invoice2go realy is brilliant

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

Cap-a-pie

Postby Cap-a-pie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 am

sally wrote:I downloaded the paypal app for the blackberry, and it doesnt seem to have a 'request money' feature, just a 'send money' one, unless I'm being incredibly dense...

your correct, its only a send, but assume if the customer was happy they could always log on to the app on your device and send money to your account. That was my original plan. Although recently I have taken the plunge with Cardsave.net. Did some haggling with regards the rates and it's only a 12 month contract so going to see how this works. So far reception is good, Cossie has always been a problem with my mobile phone so was surprised it worked fine at that event. Carrier is on O2 so fingers crossed at the other events in the year.

I know of a couple of companies doing a BlackBerry app, ChargeAnywhere, Bcharge. In fact if you go to the following link

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore ... dit%20card

it lists quite a few. The problem when I last looked some months ago it was very much US based Bank accounts, although I understand BlackCharge have plans for a UK based system

Update.... Just had a browse at some of the others on this and Wcharge, mentions it will work with a PayPal business account and MerchantWare, which is Free works all countries and carriers.

Suppliers of Authentic Medieval Maille

http://www.capapie.co.uk

Druid

Postby Druid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 pm

There is a problem with taking credit card payments by phone. The transaction is not 'chip & pin' so if it is a stolen card the retailer looses the cash as a charge back will happen. The only way to do secure mobile is with a dedicated radio terminal that the customer can insert card & enter PIN.
I have been thinking about upgrading to one of these as I use the paper voucher and use my mobile phone to phone Streamline for authorisation, but as I said, if there is a problem I could still get a charge back. The authorisation only ensures that there is sufficient funds/limit on the card and it is not reported stolen.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today because if you like it you can do it again tomorrow!

Badger

Postby Badger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 am

Chip and pin mobile card system works well 'most of the time'
Choose which network you want it on with care, mine runs 02 and voda phone.
Money taken on the machine normally takes 2 working days to get into your business account.
Very low risk of fraud.
You can input card details manually if taking orders over the phone.
The FSB offers a discounted deal with free business banking for life.

rowana

Postby rowana » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:07 pm

I am not sure if this is any help at all, but friends of mine who trade use their iphone to connect to paypal, allowing a customer to log in to pay them by paypal- it is an option that obviously has no set up costs- only invloces you getting a paypal account if you don't have one- yes it is not as versitile as taking cc payment but it opens up other options for payment :)

foamcow

Postby foamcow » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi I'm obviously new here and really only a casual observer but this is an area I do have a bit of experience in so I thought I'd chime in... hope you don't mind!

I am not sure if this is any help at all, but friends of mine who trade use their iphone to connect to paypal, allowing a customer to log in to pay them by paypal- it is an option that obviously has no set up costs- only invloces you getting a paypal account if you don't have one- yes it is not as versitile as taking cc payment but it opens up other options for payment

I don't have direct experience of this exact set of circumstances, i.e. trying to take card payments in the middle of a field, but I build websites and do ecommerce stuff for a living. Besides making my hair stand on end I am pretty sure if Paypal knew that you were allowing people to log in to their account from YOUR phone they would have a blue fit and likely close that person's account. It's very probably against some T&Cs they have and at best is horribly open to abuse (not that you would abuse it of course).

Virtual terminal and "Request money" might pass muster but I would say that the only way to safely take payment and remain on the good side of the PCI regulations is to use a dedicated radio terminal that is connecting directly to a bank or gateway service to authorise the card an create a transaction.

This has sparked my interest though so I'll have a dig through the, really horrible, Paypal documentation to see whether they would make a fuss if they knew.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Welcome aboard, Foam Cow,

foamcow wrote:Besides making my hair stand on end I am pretty sure if Paypal knew that you were allowing people to log in to their account from YOUR phone they would have a blue fit and likely close that person's account.

That's an interesting view point. I'm not sure how they would phrase their objection to that specific instance.

Obviously you can log into PayPal on public computers, such librarys and internet cafés.
You can log into PayPal on a friend's computer.
In other words there is no requirement to personally own the computer you use to log in.

The log in/log out procedure should be secure in and of itself.

I'm guessing that the fear would be for a key logger or similar installed on the phone.
Perhaps, if your account was compromised they could say you had been negligent in your securituy procedures, or some similar sort of catch-all.

foamcow

Postby foamcow » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:01 pm

I see what your saying but strictly speaking just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should". I guess that my involvment in the industry makes me over-cautious.
Personally I would NEVER want to log in to my Paypal account via someone else's phone. But that's just me :)
Then again, if someone on a stall suggested I use a Paypal app on my iPhone to SEND them money I would be interested. That could work for me and to be honest the thought hadn't have crossed my mind until I read this thread.

When logging in from a public computer one should be extremely careful. Knowing Paypal, if you had a problem they would suggest it was your fault. I think you'd have a fight to get anything back and don't think you have a backup with your Visa/Mastercard protection either. I have a feeling that Paypal's TOS over-ride any protection you might have from card companies - plus if you're using a Visa Debit card (even on "regular" transactions) you get no protection anyway unless you are overdrawn (then you are technically using credit so you're protected).

Now in my head I'm SURE all this is correct but I'm going to have to go triple check now!

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:32 pm

foamcow wrote:Personally I would NEVER want to log in to my Paypal account via someone else's phone. But that's just me :)

Oh, me too. But then I wouldn't log into Pay Pal on a public computer either.

foamcow wrote:When logging in from a public computer one should be extremely careful. Knowing Paypal, if you had a problem they would suggest it was your fault. I think you'd have a fight to get anything back and don't think you have a backup with your Visa/Mastercard protection either. I have a feeling that Paypal's TOS over-ride any protection you might have from card companies

I'm not sure. If someone hacked into your Pay Pal account and made payment straight from your bank, wouldn't you be protected by the direct debit guarantee.
Likewise for a credit card payment, via the consumer credit act.
To some extent the same should be true from a debit card, since that would still be an unauthorised transaction.

Surely they would have to show that it was you that had been negligent with your security details rather than them, at which point I think it is your tough luck; just like any other fraud.

rowana

Postby rowana » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:09 pm

well I just thought I would throw the paypal thing out there as I know people that do it :)

foamcow

Postby foamcow » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm not sure. If someone hacked into your Pay Pal account and made payment straight from your bank, wouldn't you be protected by the direct debit guarantee.

You would have to make a claim through your bank rather than Visa/Mastercard.

Likewise for a credit card payment, via the consumer credit act.

Yes. You'd be covered.

To some extent the same should be true from a debit card, since that would still be an unauthorised transaction.

Debit cards aren't covered by the consumer credit act unless your account is overdrawn and thus you are using credit.

Point was that once you get Paypal into the loop things get messy. I have heard of people having problems making claims through Visa/Mastercard and banks
for Paypal transactions that have gone bad.

well I just thought I would throw the paypal thing out there as I know people that do it

Oh, I know. :) I'm very sorry for hijacking the thread and it going a bit off topic. So I'll quietly withdraw!
The long and the short is, if it works for you then great. Just check out the risks. People often think Paypal is a fix all solution but I do know people that have ended up with a sharp pain in the *rse because of it. :)

Hinny Annie

Postby Hinny Annie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:40 pm

foamcow wrote: People often think Paypal is a fix all solution but I do know people that have ended up with a sharp pain in the *rse because of it. :)

same could be said of all banks, we have taken paypal payments on our laptop for years and the only problems we have had is the signal (or lack of it) dont suppose the iphone will be any different

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Return to “Traders Discussion”