Royal Mail 'Special' Delivery

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Jim Smith

Royal Mail 'Special' Delivery

Postby Jim Smith » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Further to my post in Friends etc I wondered if any of you had had problems with this?

"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Eric the well read

Re: Royal Mail 'Special' Delivery

Postby Eric the well read » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Just a lot. |( You pay them loads extra, so they don't steal it. Then they steal it anyway!
Regards
Eric

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Or, on occasion apparently jump on it to see if it will break. Gits, not all of them, lots of posties are the salt of the earth, but the odd one just doesn't play the game.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:40 am

they are welcome to kick my parcels marked fragile round the sorting office if they want, I normally mark 6" diameter solid steel balls fragile :twisted:

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 am

And then when they don't deliver, the customer service department is nothing but rude to you. I told her it was no wonder Royal Mail was turning to s**t.

I wish I'd said more, it left me fuming all afternoon.

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Apothecary

Postby Apothecary » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:31 am

As far as the Royal Mail is concerned, at present I am loosing about 30% of what I send with them, but I haven't got the out-put yet to go with a courier as then I could charge a standard fee - but even when you send the bl**dy parcel special delivery (I still haven't worked out what is so special about it) I sent something that was urgent, it needed to get there before 10am the following day, so after paying £36.00p for the before 10am service - apparently it went from here (Rhyl) where I live, to West Midlands, the sorting depot, and was then sent to Kent, which wasn't that bad apparently, as it did get there before 10am the folowing day - but as it had been mis-delivery they decided to send it back to the west midlands, then it was sent to somewhere near the address but it turned out to be the next village and the lady who signed for it (it wasn't what she needed to steal, so after opening it chucked it into her own front garden ?) and after contacting the lady who was supposed to get it and had urgently requested the item, she went hunting for it house to house and found it 5 days later, the problem was I was sending it to Rotherham ???????,
Go Figure ? to add insult to injury, it only took 4 letters of complaint and 4 copies of the original recipt sent recorded !!!-they found the last one as someone must have realised they could write, oh and read ! and then it took a further 18 days to get my money back ???

Oh well.........hope they enjoyed the laugh 'cause I didn't - not whilst trying to run a small business !!!!!!!

sorry it's a long one but I thought it was worth telling

regards
Jayne

Eric the well read

Postby Eric the well read » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:54 pm

And Lo! Eric did venture on quest to the office of the queens' messengers and said unto them I will give you gold in plenty if you will send a right fast expedition to bring these rich goods to my kinsman in Wessex
"Hold!" said the officer " This thing that you ask cannot be done!"
And Eric did enquire if the goods were of too much weight to be taken in the wagon - and it was not so.
And Eric did have knowledge of the queens' directions and spake thus. "The queen does lay down the laws concerning the carriage of rich merchandise and it shall not be above this many cubits in length and the breadth thereof. We have sent round the land and found these boxes, wrought well, and very costly, which the queen law states, shall suffice"!
"That is so", said the officer," but they do not pass my portal - which is too small. I shall not come out to you to get the goods or else you may smite me"!
and Eric waxed wrathful "What shall be done"?
"I shall take part in unnatural congress, if I know". Sayeth the guard.

And, in despair, Eric did travel many miles, in great haste, to another officer who accepted the goods without question and winged them, right fast, on their way.

Eric then came unto the Lord of the messengers and said "This guard in the Queens' employ does disregard the Queens' rule!" and was told that he could complain the the higher lords, but the result would be 'a clump of grass' all.

And another nail was added to the coffin of just rule.

Regards
Eric :wink:

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:24 am

I regularly send stuff using special delivery, and problems occur with aroun 10% of cases. Of course, when there is a problem, they make is a big problem.

Trouble is that on balance they're far, far better than all the couriers I've tried. Not one of them managed a success rate of more than 70%, and several cost lots more.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 pm

I send most of the lighter items by 1st class mail. Very very rarely had a problem.
Larger items by courier, have a look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... l-delivery
The only problem (like today) is that they collect "some time between 8.30 and 5.30" and I have to hang around the house all day waiting for the driver to turn up :(

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 pm

If you don't send many parcels but don't want to use Royal Mail you can use a third party courier company. www.interparcel.com is one I use quite a bit. They have several carriers you can choose from with differing prices. They collect from your house too.

A parcel shipped with UPS up to 20kg will cost you about £8.00.

More bag pudding please Mistress Anthea

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 am

Needed a parcel in my hands on thursday, it was sent Special Delivery on wednesday. Now tuesday morning and still not appeared...

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

fensleather

Postby fensleather » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:07 am

When our fire door glass smashed in to many pieces we orderd another piece + asked for next day delivery as it was a saturday we had to pay £10 on top gladly done had we got it! we waited in all day no delivery monday am got a ticket saying tried to deliver etc plz wait 7 hours before collection! when we collected we askd what happend to sat he said nothing walked away + got the parcel! awaiting our £10 back still. they truely live up to the name snailmail!

maker of hand carved leather goods, hater of new technology!!

Maureen

Postby Maureen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 am

they're not all bad you know - - my husband ordered some extra memory for my computer at 4pm on Wednesday - it arrived by ten the next morning !!!

And no, it's nothing to do with the fact that he works for Royal Mail..... he's on holiday this week anyway....

Return to “Traders Discussion”