Anyone trading at the Bishops Palace in December

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Anyone trading at the Bishops Palace in December

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Just had an email from a chum who lives in Lincoln and who is drumming up some free publicity for the show at the Medieval Bishops Palace, contacting local radio and papers to tell em about the historical cookery and smoking demo's Im doing over the weekend, she told me that there is very little advertising re the Medieval Market, plenty for the normal market but not so much for us, I have a friend who's willing to do a leaflet drop around the area,letterboxes, shops/ pubs for posters etc. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how we can drum up free advertising ? If its not been done much ( though I don't know what they are doing, they could have loads and loads , but my friend lives within site of the venue and has seen or heard non), Im also going to ring Chas (organizer) to see what we can do to help.
Any idea's ? :)

"you dont make friends with salad!"

Pete the Pong

Re: Anyone trading at the Bishops Palace in December

Postby Pete the Pong » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 pm

We're going to be there as well -so please keep us updated with any developments on this idea!

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:42 pm

just done a rather good radio interview with Lincolns local radio to big it up, if anyone else has any suggestions to advertise one of the last trading opportunies feel free to air em :) , also it may be worth talking to other traders who are going but dont post on here

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:50 pm

is there going to be a herald there again this year ? or do we have to sort one out Dave ? it helped loads last year as the entrance is quite hidden. I was wondering if all the traders got together and offered to pay £5 / £10 to someone to do a huge leaflet drop and also some heralding outside in armour / kit ? as one of the last shows of the year it needs to be as busy and profitable as possible :)

bonnacon

Postby bonnacon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Martin
One of our businesses is Lincoln-based and a number of our clients work in local schools and surgeries whilst all live in a 20 odd mile radius of the office. I'd be only too pleased to have some leaflets to distribute to clients if that helps. We operate saturdays and tuesdays at present so I could either pick up locally or take delivery either day.

Vivimus vivamus!

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:17 pm

brilliant m8, I'll ring chas and ask if its OK for you to grab some flyers
cheers Martin :)

bonnacon

Postby bonnacon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm

martin
PM with mobile number sent to ya

Vivimus vivamus!

Captain_Dingbat

Postby Captain_Dingbat » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:41 pm

What about local parish magazines? I know theres the Cherry Willingham news, a similar one for Reepham, and theres the 'Sheepwash Times' for Washingborough, Heighington and Branston, BOUND to be more for other villages! Trouble is....for December, they will want the details for the copy date pretty soon....

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Just got this email from a friend who lives in Lincoln and Lurks on LH :) , great bit of advertising

Hiya Martin,

Just letting you know I've got the Medeival Market mentioned on this link http://www.allseasonsuk.com/lincoln%20c ... market.htm which although it is for guest house accommodation, is the first link that comes up if you type 'Lincoln Christmas Market' into google.

I think the owner, Adrian, thought I was from English Heritage initially lol, but I've just explained myself a little better to him,
He's asked if I could reciprocate with a link to his website(s) so I've said I'll mention it to you. Maybe you could ask a few of the traders at the market if they'd like to link to his site in return for him promoting the market.................?

He'd put this in his email to me:

Anyway we do appreciate the few attractions there are in the area and always
have and always will try and help them if we can so I've added a link for
you.
If you are able to reciprocate with a link to either our holidays in Louth
at All Seasons or promote (or need to buy) our cast iron air bricks I would
appreciate it.

kind regards Adrian
not bad bit of free advertising for the show :)

Jo Major

Postby Jo Major » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:10 pm

Martin wrote:Just got this email from a friend who lives in Lincoln and Lurks on LH :) ,

That'd be me then 8-)

The leaflets are a great idea for people living in and around Lincoln, but people travel from far and wide, and so it needs to be mentioned on a few of the main websites that visitors will go to for information. I also think Martins suggestion of a herald is a good idea. I know from going last year that after dark you end up at the front of the Cathedral, and there is no incentive to walk down a dark side street to the Bishops Palace unless you know there are stalls in there, because there's not much evidence from the outside that anything is happening.

If anyone wanted to contact the official market website (run by the local council) as a resident, visitor to the market or trader, to ask whether the Medieval Market at the Bishops Palace, although an event run by EH, still ought to be shown on the official map, or at least listed under the 'Other Events' section, then that could be a help. I've contacted them, and I think Martin has, but the more people that ask the question, the harder it is for them to ignore it. http://christmasmarket.lincoln.gov.uk/

And I think Adrian from All Seasons UK deserves a big round of applause for putting the details on his website - hopefully that should get it to the attention of a few more people.

david smith

Postby david smith » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:40 am

"the Medieval Market at the Bishops Palace, although an event run by EH"

Pardon the simple question, but if this is an EH event for which they are (presumably) charging you traders top-quid, why on earth are they not promoting and advertising it, why is it that you are having to do this? Should you not be kicking *rse at EH?

OK I do appreciate why you want it highlighted, and believe me, at any of my events I'm delighted if traders see the light and realise that help in promotion is self help, but EH have budgets I am never likely to have, and they charge rather a lot for a pitch at most if not all of their shows.

Puzzled!

Best wishes
David

J.Watson / Anmod Dracan

Postby J.Watson / Anmod Dracan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:17 pm

It's been a failing of EH for decades Dave

They are hopeless at promoting their own events

Many times in the past I would do a site visit to check
things out when my society was doing an event for them and find no publicity
and no plans for any.

Frequently we would make our own posters and then go round the local town and others nearby
and get shop keepers to put them up for us!

The only places they ever seem to publicise things are their own sites, their own publications
and tourist info centres

Never could figure it out!

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

greenland_and_game

Postby greenland_and_game » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:13 am

Well, last year the event had an attendance of around TWELVE HUNDRED people an hour! I'm sure Charles has got it in hand.

Supplying rocks, gems, minerals, fossils and associated products.

Pete the Pong

Postby Pete the Pong » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:35 am

greenland_and_game wrote:Well, last year the event had an attendance of around TWELVE HUNDRED people an hour! I'm sure Charles has got it in hand.

Yup, but would it not be a good idea to have the "belt & braces" approach and try to up the attendance to 1500 an hour?? And all for a tenner?
Seriously, I know last year was good (OK we were not there, and so we are relying on the recommendation of you folks for this year) but it's a fact that our section is not mentioned on their official website. Which means that publicity on the day is crucial for us. Apparently it happened last year ( with Gerald) but it seems that so far nothing equivalent is as yet planned for this year. That (I think) is Martin's main concern

Yes -I firmly believe in the healing power of herbal remedies.
So much so that I insist on taking at least three or more pints of the Sacred Malted Medicine each and every night.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:57 am

J.Watson / Anmod Dracan wrote:It's been a failing of EH for decades Dave

They are hopeless at promoting their own events

Many times in the past I would do a site visit to check
things out when my society was doing an event for them and find no publicity
and no plans for any.

Frequently we would make our own posters and then go round the local town and others nearby
and get shop keepers to put them up for us!

The only places they ever seem to publicise things are their own sites, their own publications
and tourist info centres

Never could figure it out!

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

John from my experience that is utter bull

Over the season I see frequent adds for EH event sin local press national publications etc etc

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 am

Well, last year the event had an attendance of around TWELVE HUNDRED people an hour! I'm sure Charles has got it in hand
pete is right, last year tthere was gerald out there with his little horn for hours dragging people in, this year the flyers havent gone out yet and there is no Gerald, it would be a shame not to have contingency plans of our own devising cos its to late to moan on the weekend that numbers are down, as I say, friends in the area have heard and seen nowt re advertising hence my worry, this year we have done shows that have been badly advertised and lost a lot, nice flyers isnt the be all and end all, they need delivering to specific places not just on shelves at the venue and on Tourist Information offices, they serve little or no purpose, someone in armour making noise on the day attracts people, flyers in doctors surgerys etc are what works best :)

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 am

Just spoken to Chas about funds for a reenactor or 2 in armour to advertise the show over the weekend, he's going to talk to someone else and will get back to me, if its OK then we can ask on the Reenactors Wanted page for someone :D

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:11 am

Just spoken to Chas again, they can put up £100 and their fairly confident about attendee's over the w/end but he said drumming up visitors for the Thursday evening and Friday are the ones that would be best and I agree, cos they will tell their friends, return visit etc :) so hows about asking on the RW page for an armoured herald to advertise in the town / outside the venue for Thursday night and all day Friday ? leafleting and bellowing ? :D

davetmoneyer

Postby davetmoneyer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I can offer free accomodation and travel to and from the event for the duration might even stretch to breakfast for the taker of this position

Regards Dave
Dave T Moneyer
perveyour of high quality cheap tat
Moneyer to the Bank of England
and the World
Regular prices for reasonable customers
http://www.grunal.com

J.Watson / Anmod Dracan

Postby J.Watson / Anmod Dracan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Nigel wrote:
John from my experience that is utter bull

Over the season I see frequent adds for EH event sin local press national publications etc etc

Nigel from my experience no it's not!

Barnard Castle, Warkworth Castle and many other events we did in the past had no advertising in the local
area where it mattered most except our own poster campaigns

And please note I said IN THE PAST !

I have no idea what the situation has been in the last year or two but from the jist of this thread it would appear
nothing has changed and David is quite right to query it when people are being charged to be there!

:roll:

david smith

Postby david smith » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:36 pm

"last year tthere was gerald out there with his little horn for hours dragging people in, this year the flyers havent gone out yet and there is no Gerald, it would be a shame not to have contingency plans of our own devising cos its to late to moan on the weekend that numbers are down, as I say, friends in the area have heard and seen nowt re advertising hence my worry"

Face it, Nigel, why are the traders worried enough to be trying to run their own publicity campaign if EH are doing the job properly? Speaks for itself.

Now you may well be trying to protect your own interests by defending EH, but isn't that a bit beside the point for the traders involved with this event and putting their own money up to do a job that EH should be doing?

Best wishes
David

davetmoneyer

Postby davetmoneyer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:16 am

Hi,
Both sides of the argument have very valid points
HOWEVER
in this current time I think that EVERYONE should be concerned (and involved) regarding advertising certainly most of the Traders are fully aware of what is considered to be effective advertiseing (possibly more so than EH due to the nomadic nature of the job)
Everyone (EH included) puts in vast amounts of time and effort (and money) into events and I believe that it is not in anyones interest 'to spoil the ship for a Halfpence of tar'
Martin count me in ( you know this already)
Dave

Regards Dave
Dave T Moneyer
perveyour of high quality cheap tat
Moneyer to the Bank of England
and the World
Regular prices for reasonable customers
http://www.grunal.com

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:41 am

Talking to Chas we both agree that the weekend itself (Saturday and Sunday) is going to be very busy, its the Thursday evening and Friday that really need the advertising, Im confident its going to be a cracking w/end but the first 2 days were a little quiet last year which is why we want to help with the advertising of the show, kind of feathering our own nests so to speak :) , my concern was raised because a friend who lives in Lincoln said that yet again the Council are doing zero to help promote it even though they have a market on the same weekend in the roughly same location and they have on their website a section for "other events in the area" and still they are ignoring the Bishops Palace in stead of supporting a local event :roll: and she had not seen flyers or owt but they are going to start going out soon (and if anyone in the area wants to pick up some flyers from the Charles at the Bishops Palace and hand them round where they work they would be more than welcome :D )
also if anyone thinks the Council should / could advertise the show on their website why not contact them and ask them why they wont do it ? its hardly a conflict of interest, both markets are free to get in and both will attract people to the area which can only be a good thing :)

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 am

hI david sorry want criticsing Martins efforts in any way and infact if Debs was going to be there I would be ponying up to help too if folks ahve concerns they are right to do stuff.

Waht I was commenting on was an irrelevant criticism I ahve never noticed any alck of advertising for EH shows or indeed low attendances even in the past

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

david smith

Postby david smith » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:42 am

Hi Nigel,

That's fair enough!

Best wishes
David

J.Watson / Anmod Dracan

Postby J.Watson / Anmod Dracan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Nigel wrote:Waht I was commenting on was an irrelevant criticism I ahve never noticed any alck of advertising for EH shows or indeed low attendances even in the past

My comment Nigel, was NOT irrelevant!

David posed a question ... I gave a response according to my own experience

Your experience is different ... fair enough we shall agree to differ.

Frankly I don't give a monkey's what EH do or don't do anymore, we are not
involved with them these days, we have chosen a different path. I don't even
trade myself at any of their events.

:wink:

Jo Major

Postby Jo Major » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:36 pm

To be fair to EH the event is probably advertised well enough for what they want to get out of it - it's just that the traders might prefer for the event to be known to more of the visitors to the main market.

However, I've just checked the official market website, and the Bishops Palace is now mentioned on the 'Other Events' page, and although it's not marked on the map, there is a comment about it on the page where you have to download the map (although you do have to click on the comments link to see it).

So with that and your loud bellowy person, hopefully you should be OK, and get a few more visitors this year. :D

http://christmasmarket.lincoln.gov.uk/?cat=30

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:04 pm

cracking job Jo, would that be down to your contacting em :D

boblad

Postby boblad » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:13 am

Let me give you some of my thoughts on this topic. As a trader who has traded on both the public side of the market and the medieval side i think i have a little experience.

1 The Lincoln Christmas Market is well publicised and well attended and estimated 100000 visitors a year, i know people who take holidays to attend all 4 days. They have established the market and its traders. I do not think the Bishops Palace would be putting on the medieval market without the public event going on.

2 Pitch fees for the Public side are anything from 600-800+ pounds dependant on where your pitch is. Medieval is £230, a considerable saving on the public market.

3 At busy times on the public side the buyers dont have a good chance to stop and look and rarelly go back once passing your stall, in fact the castle has a one way system and you cannot go out the way you came in. The medieaval market people can if they wish meander around and take time to purchase, although downstairs last year it did get too busy a few times. But they do not run a one way system and if the weather is not too inclement they can meander around outside.

4 And this is the most important bit I TOOK MORE AT THE BISHOPS PALACE THEN I TOOK AT THE PUBLIC SIDE.

Chas did a great job last year, we were called the hidden jewel in the market, yes some pitched in and publicised and gerald was out there calling the people in. If we have the same arrangement as last year with the parking, free accomodation if wanted and people coming in to the market that have shown an iterest then all credit to the organistaion, sometimes credit where credit is due is needed

I am ouside this year mainly because the walk up and down the steps with heavy stock was hard work and i have the advantage of a little extra space, hopefully the weather will be kind, the public come in on a steady stream and and we all make a bloody fortune.

Boblad

Martin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Martin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:23 pm

I agree with what you say about the center of town being "to busy" if your in the middle of the crowd you cant actually get through the press of people to the stalls, I got stuck in the middle of a slow moving tightly packed mass, twas bloody awful, and then when Suzie was having a wander around the main market and got accosted by one of the traders cos she was in medieval kit and got some hassle over the fact that we had cheaper pitches etc was rather irritating, I know people locally who keep out of town when the market weekend is on but who are coming to the Bishops Palace and are telling all their friends etc who dont come into town about the BP
Chas did a great job last year, we were called the hidden jewel in the market, yes some pitched in and publicised and gerald was out there calling the people in. If we have the same arrangement as last year with the parking, free accomodation if wanted and people coming in to the market that have shown an iterest then all credit to the organistaion, sometimes credit where credit is due is needed
I whole heartedly agree m8, its why we're so eager to come back and offer our services to Chas to help advertise the show, I was in no way critising anyone and Ive told Chas how well we thought last years was organised, I hope you dont think Im having a go here ?

Return to “Traders Discussion”