Possible trading Opportunities

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

andy1863

Possible trading Opportunities

Postby andy1863 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:43 am

Dear All
I have a possible opportunity for May Bank Holiday 1-2-3 May 2010, competitive pitch fees, please contact via pm/email initiailly, ideally I am looking for mid 19th Century type, traders-products, authentic and non authentic looking stalls are invited, there is a possibility of accomodating any craftsmen/women of that era too,
Andy

andy1863

Re: Possible trading Opportunities

Postby andy1863 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Judging by the replies everyone has either already booked up or feels that this is a dodgy idea, or has made too much and doesn,t want to pay the Tax man too much.
Can I stress this is not a fly by night operation and there will be no hidden surprises, it is an area that we would like to try to develop for the future, and even feed back would be appreciated.
Regards
Andy

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:16 pm

mostly for me it is a few years too late, well ok several hundred years too late but best of luck with it

forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

paul bennett

Postby paul bennett » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:51 am

I am starting to look into 19th century kit, but it will be at least a year till I am ready to furnish an event stall

http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Bespoke and off-the-shelf furniture, games and weaponry for living history

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 am

If it's feedback as to trading you would like...
It's only the time period that I think is different for most of us. I would think the bulk of traders work between Viking and late Tudor, so going 19th century is a bit of a stretch. There's a heck of a lot of research to go into another time period, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of events where we could sell if we did, or indeed the large number of reenactors eagerly awaiting our goods.
I would be happy to be corrected by a large number of nineteenth century folk, who could tell me what they would like me to make/ what is missing in their collection/clothing which they can't buy elsewhere.
Always open to suggestions.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:09 pm

I'm with Lucy. I've occassionally thought of or have been asked about doing Victorian but it's a big jump with very little cross over stock (I can only think of wooden toys). My storage space is bursting as it is .
years back there were loads of Victorian people at Detling. Can you lay your hands on an old traders' list and contact them?
Oyher maybe bright ideas - track down Francis and get a copy of Create the Mood. Out of date but might have some leads.
Look on Hisrenact.
Look on Class History - http://www.classhistory.co.uk Click on Era and Victorians - probably not the people you want but they might know someone who would be interested.
Annie

Tudor toys and accessories
http://www.anniethepedlar.com

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:35 pm

I can actually kit up for this, and potentially could demonstrate the antique sock machines and have a stall with dateline appropriate stockings, textile supplies, silk knitting yarns, patterns, needles etc, but to date I havent had that much of a response when I've offered goods for this period so i'm just a shade nervous of going to a lot of effort then selling almost nothing. I think part of the problem with the later datelines is that so much is still available as originals in working order that not many people want reproduction items. I may be wrong though, but this has always been my impression as to why there arent loads of traders for this period.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Can you let us know where the event is, outdoor or indoor, expected types of people who will visit etc etc. I know loads of Victorian traders, but they do not come here to chat. That is such a busy weekend that I would need more info before I could even mention the possibility to them.

andy1863

Postby andy1863 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback, I know we are all guarded at times and do not want to commit to anything unknown, especailly when livliehood and reputation are at stake.With this in mind I am able to give more information, the event will be run by http://www.acws.co.uk with myself as P.O.C.

The pitch fees as mentioned I believe are for a bank holiday very competitive, the venue is out door and in a very familiar part of Northamptonshire. Please note it is a show run by A.C.W.S.

I can be contacted below by email (checked several times daily) for more details.

Apothecary

Postby Apothecary » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 am

Hi Andy, sounds interesting - I can do Victorian, I have the cosume, may be able to come up with a tent - but I agree with the others in that if you don't sell anything it's a whole weekend of lost trading from another event......if your guys were offering a free trading pitch, I may consider it very seriously - as to get to northampton area, food for the weekend, fuel, cooking stuff - stock etc, I need to be selling somewhere in the region of £220 to break even, so if others have the same problem of not having a day job and this is the only sorce of income, unlike most re-enactors, then most markets are a gamble, but as I have said I would be willing to come along a give you my support for a free pitch, but not a speculative event as I have done this before

Good luck with it anyway

take care

Jayne
www.jaynemilner.com

Return to “Traders Discussion”