English Wheels

For traders and related people to share

Moderator: Moderators

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

English Wheels

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

English Wheels, how many would need one?
am thinking of making a prototype soon so it can be tried out by someone.

have seen a few around but either they are 1 ton monsters or they only do very thin stuff and I think I can do better.

was just wondering how much demand there would be for such items and the ideal spec for it?
forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Born 2 Late

Post by Born 2 Late »

Napoleonic wise 5 foot by 2.5 inches would be a great artillery wheel!!! For a reasonable price then the demand i think, would be good. More than willing to work with prototypes :D

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

an English wheel is a machine for shaping sheet metal as opposed to the sort of wheel you are thinking of ;) like this one

Vermin

Post by Vermin »

Born 2 Late wrote:Napoleonic wise 5 foot by 2.5 inches would be a great artillery wheel!!! For a reasonable price then the demand i think, would be good. More than willing to work with prototypes :D
I thought he meant the sort on carts as well :oops:

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

never mind :wink: if I find a wheelwright I will send them here to help you guys :D

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

allready looked into this, didnt get any further. if do go down that road make shure you use heavy gauge stuff and good welds. it suprising how much force in put on the frame. and for most things that folk on here would be interested in making some forming rolls would be a better bet.
the E/W takes some geting used to. having said that, if you do make one i would be interested in having a look at the end result.
Chris

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

I will post on here when the prototype is done and someone I know wants to try one out.

I have a few ideas that should make is a usefull machine and hope to have it ready for the spring markets if it works out ok.

I normally do other heavy stuff like making the 30 tonne press I use for making security equipment and bending stuff up to 30mm thick cold.

I am hopeing to make a small light machine that can still deal with quite thick material in the sort of sizes needed for armour.

if you are going to one of the events im at Chris you are welcome to try it out

Miel

Post by Miel »

I live in Farnborough in Hampshire - the same town as the old Royal Aircraft Establishment RAE (as was).

I managed to get in to see one of the workshops in the RAE once and there were several rows of "English Machines" of all different sizes (some huge ones were even fitted with powered rollers).

They were all used for making wings and airframes for aircraft development.

What was also amazing was that each machine had a skilled operator and some had apprentices learning the skill.

Where are they all now I wonder ?

All the skilled workmen are gone and the place is less than 1/10th of the size it was and is now called "QinetiQ" or some such crap.

All that remains of engineering on the site is the "National Gas Turbine Establishment" - the NGTE (previously called "Power Jets" and the company started by Sir Frank Wittle) the inventor of the jet engine.

Even with this I was told the other day that it is all NC work now with a lot of the clever machining being done outside the country in Germany and Italy.

Everyone remembers the "Stripping of the RAE Alters" back in the 1980's and 90's as far as the scientists are concerned but the truely skilled engineers that went with them are long forgotten. So sad.

Rant over - sorry.[/i]
Miel (pronounced "Mile")
"Well again and back with a vengence"

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

Miel wrote:I live in Farnborough in Hampshire - the same town as the old Royal Aircraft Establishment RAE (as was).

I managed to get in to see one of the workshops in the RAE once and there were several rows of "English Machines" of all different sizes (some huge ones were even fitted with powered rollers).

They were all used for making wings and airframes for aircraft development.

What was also amazing was that each machine had a skilled operator and some had apprentices learning the skill.

Where are they all now I wonder ?

All the skilled workmen are gone and the place is less than 1/10th of the size it was and is now called "QinetiQ" or some such crap.

All that remains of engineering on the site is the "National Gas Turbine Establishment" - the NGTE (previously called "Power Jets" and the company started by Sir Frank Wittle) the inventor of the jet engine.

Even with this I was told the other day that it is all NC work now with a lot of the clever machining being done outside the country in Germany and Italy.

Everyone remembers the "Stripping of the RAE Alters" back in the 1980's and 90's as far as the scientists are concerned but the truely skilled engineers that went with them are long forgotten. So sad.

Rant over - sorry.[/i]

Please don’t apologise, skilled people are no longer appreciated. If it doesn’t come in a blister pack no one wants to know. This country is in real danger of not being able to compete. There will be NO skilled workers at all. Then the country can only go in one direction. I no longer work in a skilled trade but I do work I one where I seem to be valued. Money is crap but that aint everything.

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

I too have seen a few great places go, people today just want things made cheaply in the 3rd world and then complain about lack of jobs.
I had a customer last year for whom I priced up a job that they wanted making for the next day complain that he could get it done cheaper in china ( and my price was not much over the cost of materials ), I told him to get it done there then and to get it delivered for the next day ( he did not like that at all ).
after an argument, I told him to go forth.
I know he had to wait 4 weeks for the item which was holding up other work and he was charged at least 3 times what I would have done it for and he would have had it the next day from me rather than from a friend of mine.
I hope now he thinks a bit more :wink: