15thC vegetables!

Moderator: Moderators

Zoe

15thC vegetables!

Postby Zoe » Tue May 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Hi there, I'm planning on growing some veg and wanted to make sure I include some old varieties that are authentic on a Wars of the Roses LH camp. I'm joining the heritage seed library to get hold of some older varieties of veg but would like to do some research first. Can anyone reccomend some good books for me to look at that will help?

Thanks very much - am very excited about the prospect of growing my own stuff for everyday and even more so for part of a LH display!

Zoe

Karen Larsdatter

Re: 15thC vegetables!

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Tue May 29, 2007 2:15 pm

You might want to ask on the Medieval Gardening mailing list (there's also the Medieval Farming list, but that seems to be a lot less active).

Lady Wolfshead

Postby Lady Wolfshead » Tue May 29, 2007 5:05 pm

Ooh, I didn't know about the Medieval Gardening list either. Thanks. :)

Zoe

Postby Zoe » Tue May 29, 2007 9:46 pm

Thanks Karen - looks interesting!

Zoe

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Bucket joined the Heritage Seed Library a couple of weeks ago. As it is late in the season for a lot of planting now they send you 6 packets of seeds that were left over from the main mailing in Feb/March. We got some peas, bronze lettuce, beet,dwarf beans, 2 sorts of tomatoes and some of the most beautiful bean seed I have ever seen. Seriously, almost too pretty to plant!

Anyhow, the beans did get planted and when I checked today 3 are sprouting, and the lettuce are just coming through. Nothing from the ps or beet yet. We are leaving the tomatoes and dwarf beans 'til next year as we are doing well on the bean front-parrrp, 'scuse.

(Just polished off a plate of fresh organic broad beans with hummus and butter and coleslaw, yesterday found out how to make a wickedly nose-watering horseradish sauce from the horseradish growing as a weed down the allotment...I like this game!)

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

jelayemprins

White carrots..

Postby jelayemprins » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:13 pm

www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/veg-carrot.htm).

The 'new for 2007' must- have vegetable 4 re-enactors!

No more orange carrots in medieval reenactment- lets start a name and shame campaign...:) :twisted:

jelayemprins

Return to “Food and Drink”