Alternative to water in LH camps

Moderator: Moderators

Panda

Postby Panda » Tue May 15, 2007 5:10 pm

I'd eat it.
But ya culture is a very big thing too. For example one of the the old Irish names for the Virgin Mary translates as "the ever milking cow" :shock:

Lord Panda, protector of all things cute & fuzzy!
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

http://s4.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=72485

KezT

Postby KezT » Thu May 24, 2007 7:50 am

we comes from the west countrey and we can drink zider...

Watered apple juice is very refreshing, and good for both adults and children. If you search for the right coloured one, it looks kind of beer like, or you can always claim it's a umber year for apples, so you're drinking cider. We know some richer people who claim their ribena is wine.

For the grown ups we make our own ciser - apple mead - yum :lol:

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu May 24, 2007 8:30 pm

This is a cracking post. I also get utterly sick of water by about the mid afternoon and then am gagging for a drink of something more tasty (and often beer flavoured as it happens) by the time the pagan hordes have left. As a result i tend to neck 'em back and become bejaxed in no time to recall.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

tonw

Postby tonw » Fri May 25, 2007 10:48 am

Cleggy you want taste to you water

come visit the ferrers camp and part take of our barrelled water

all the taste you want....

hmmm

and on another note

bitter shandy not larger shandy

or dandilion and durdock

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Thu May 31, 2007 4:32 pm

To go back to the op and a request for a small beer-a-like, it sounds like you need a clouding agent and a browning agent. Why not experiment with lemon barley water and apple juice and water, fr'ex, or cloudy lemonade and apple juice(I reckon that would taste really good too.)
Ah, or what about just using cloudy old fashioned ginger beer?

I love the idea of using elderflower to flavour your water;there is a peach and grape(?) squash around at the mo that is clear and very pale too.

Somewhere I've got a recipe for elderflower champagne which is fermented but only about 2% proof-basically it's citrus juice, sugar, elderflowers and water, leave to start fermenting for a few days and bottle in strong bottles. Never been brave enough!

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu May 31, 2007 10:16 pm

I rarely drink water at events, beer during the day or watered wine, as long as I am not fighting that is and if so, only afterwards.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:36 pm

If you go out picking elderflower, you can make elderflower cordial, 'cept I'm not sure whether that would be authenti as it has lemons and sugar in, though perhaps the sugar could be substituted for honey?

Just a thought, as I was out today cutting elderflower heads for that same purpose :D Yummy!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

red razors

Postby red razors » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:41 pm

there are plenty of flavoured waters on the market that you could drink. there isn't much better for rehydrating you than just plain ornery water, so if you want taste get a flavoured one.

narvek

Postby narvek » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:03 am

Probably use of lemon is not adequate in these times, lemon became used from about 17th century. There is a herb that simulates the taste, but I don't know an english name.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:26 am

Is it weed?

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

narvek

Postby narvek » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:52 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Is it weed?

I was scanning the book whre I read it, but couldn't find it now. Give me a time at home, and I will find out.

narvek

Postby narvek » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:13 am

Tried web: Artemisia abrotanum L;Aloysia citriodora; Agastache mexicana. But really don't know if these are the ones mentioned in the book.

beerdragon

Postby beerdragon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:47 am

yes the water from wells, streams etc would probably make the adverage modern day person sick as a goat but in them days people would be more used to bacteria and more resiliant too it. These days we like to live in a nice clean plastic bubble, with everything crystal clean and all surfaces regulary steralised with anti bacteria sprays or wipes.

Just look at how many alergys have cropped up in the past 20 years, thats because as the generations go on we are getting so soft that our immune systems can no longer cope with even the slightest little whiff of something thats not been cleansed by cilit bang

If you want to look at evidence that water from wells and streams etc is drinkable all you have to do is look at any third world country today. Many of these poor backward villagers have to travel miles every day to collect what water they can, which is not put through filters or has no chemicals added to steralise it. They often live in appaling conditions and muck, much like our own ancestors, and like our ancestors have a much greater resiliance to that filth, bacteria and germs than we, in our nice daz ultra,dyson vacumed, domestos cleansed 21st century luxery homes are!

A cat with three legs can always outrun a dog with none!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:30 pm

Sorrel and buckler sorrel both grow as a weed and taste strongly of lemons, they are used to make cold drinks in Jamaica but grow naturally here. You can get seed from any good garden centre, and it grows as prolifically as spinach. I use them to add a tang to soup.

A'Stanley A'Stanley!

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:41 pm

If you're at a 2 day event you can make a "small beer" ready for the second day. Soak 500g of pale malt and half a handful of dark malt in about 1 gallon of hot water for 1 1/2 hours. Strain and pour warm water over the grains until the liquid is running almost clear. Cool and add yeast and it will be ready the next day. If your period is in the time when hops were about boil for about an hour with a small handful of hops top up to about a gallon and a half. When cool, add yeast and it will ferment overnight and be ready the next day. Alcohol content will be about 1%.

If you have hops it's beer, if you don't it's ale.

Certainly, during the 17thC, small beer was the third mash using the same ingredients. First mash - up to 11% ABV, second mash - up to 7% ABV and third mash was about 1-2% ABV.

The only query I have is - documentation leads us to believe that everyone drank beer because the water was so foul it had to be boiled to make it safe. However, I have read documentary evidence where the 3rd mash was done with cold water !!!!!

The above is quite simplified but if anyone wants any more information please drop me a pm and I'll give you all the info I can. My period is ECW but I have information on other periods too.

More bag pudding please Mistress Anthea

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:43 pm

If you're at a 2 day event you can make a "small beer" ready for the second day. Soak 500g of pale malt and half a handful of dark malt in about 1 gallon of hot water for 1 1/2 hours. Strain and pour warm water over the grains until the liquid is running almost clear. Cool and add yeast and it will be ready the next day. If your period is in the time when hops were about boil for about an hour with a small handful of hops top up to about a gallon and a half. When cool, add yeast and it will ferment overnight and be ready the next day. Alcohol content will be about 1%.

If you have hops it's beer, if you don't it's ale.

Certainly, during the 17thC, small beer was the third mash using the same ingredients. First mash - up to 11% ABV, second mash - up to 7% ABV and third mash was about 1-2% ABV.

The only query I have is - documentation leads us to believe that everyone drank beer because the water was so foul it had to be boiled to make it safe. However, I have read documentary evidence where the 3rd mash was done with cold water !!!!!

The above is quite simplified but if anyone wants any more information please drop me a pm and I'll give you all the info I can. My period is ECW but I have information on other periods too.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:06 pm

Lemon balm (mellissa officianalis?) would be the most obvious lemony tasting herb... The young leaves at the top are best, the older more woody ones a bit vile.

Ah so that's what you do with Sorrel... I grew some then forgot what I was meant to do with it!

PotBoy

Postby PotBoy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 pm

You could also try a nettle tea. Just steep young nettle leaves in hot water for a few minutes. Or mint if you can find some.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 pm

"The only query I have is - documentation leads us to believe that everyone drank beer because the water was so foul it had to be boiled to make it safe. However, I have read documentary evidence where the 3rd mash was done with cold water !!!!! "

Indeed, it is a modern day suppostion and assumption that all water was foul, but somehow doesn't explain the prevalence of fresh water wells in many urban and village houses. Springs provided clean water, as they do now, subject to them not being contaminated. Drinking water near open sewers is asking for trouble, but from clean sources is not.

Beer/ale is a food stuff, water is not, the killing of bacteria - which they were not aware of is neither here nor there and is a positive bonus.

The old 'water was foul' is a wicked overstatement that gets trotted out all the time, making ale from filthy water will result in a bad dose, so you make it with clean water.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

narvek

Postby narvek » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:38 pm

And you can prevent illness from foul water by eating loads of garlic and gallons of spirits :twisted: :twisted:

Eurototty reporting in for duty!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:59 pm

Would the small amount of alcohol in the third mash of the small beer kill some of the nasties?

Ms D'Asbeau, re:sorrel try putting some in salads with lettuce and etc, very good. A bit dog-bum-mouth-inducing eaten on its own, just like lemon. Goes a vile colour when cooked but tastes ok if you like cooked green squelch. (I've grown rainbow chard which looks beautiful but i can't stand the taste of the bloody stuff, and in trying to make soup from it have blown up two blenders.)

A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Maladicta

Postby Maladicta » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:07 am

At the last event we had I grabbed a few bottles of Raspberry & Lovage cordial and mixed up about 20ltrs. Added some tinned raspberries (which promptly fell apart) and plonked the bottle in the middle of camp. It was very appreciated. Had a light pink appearance and looked quite pretty with the sun on it.

Kingofderby

Postby Kingofderby » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:19 pm

There is a type of malt drink (such as Dunns River Mighty Malt) that's derived from unfermented beer type stuff...

Don't know whether these recipes are any good, but if not,you can buy the stuff in 330ml cans or bottles for about 60p each (though mostly only in 'efnik' parts of town) http://askthebeerguy.com/recipes/malta/

(Yes, I know this is blatant thread necromancy, but I figured someone might like to know it)
Last edited by Kingofderby on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm

moosiemoosiegander wrote:I've got a lovely illustration of a lady milking a sheep, somewhere. Anyone ever had sheep milk? I've had sheep cheese but never had the milk.

I brought my dairy-intolerant kids up on sheep's yohurt, lovely and creamy and apparently it's particularly high in protein

Cat wrote:
Somewhere I've got a recipe for elderflower champagne which is fermented but only about 2% proof-basically it's citrus juice, sugar, elderflowers and water, leave to start fermenting for a few days and bottle in strong bottles. Never been brave enough!

It's gorgeous, but totally explosive, you have to drink it all the moment it's ready!

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm

big handful of lemon balm in a jug of water makes a lovely mild lemonade type drink that is very refreshing, you can do the same with mint leaves too

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm

if you make a stock syrup of sugar and lemons, you can pour this over elderflowers, steep them overnbight, then bottle it for elderflower syrup to make cordial with. It doesnt keep as long as a fermented version, but certainly ok for a few months and should see you through several shows even if you only make a couple of bottles of the stuff.

There are various historic drinks based on diluted honey and a little vinegar which are incredible thirst quenchers too, can't remember what they are called offhand, but a spoonful of honey and a glug of cider vinegar in a jug of water is really very drinkable and great on a hot day

Matt_D

Postby Matt_D » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 pm

You could always try Kvas, it's a non-alcoholic (or slightly alcoholic depending on the brand) Eastern European drink that is made from rye bread and fruit.

Description I would give it is malt loaf mixed with a light beer.

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Mon May 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Tried out Sally's recipe of cider vinegar and honey in water at the weekend. It was voted a great sucess, thirst quenching without leaving an aftertaste, and it looked good as well.

Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Mon May 25, 2009 6:09 pm

absinthe is a good alternative to water in case the water is not safe :lol:

forges, fireboxes tools and more.
http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/52487
new stuff inc chainshot + grenadoes.
visit my place and have a go

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue May 26, 2009 1:21 pm

Diane and I often drink watered down grape juice as a fake wine (watered naturally, we are civilised you know). She also tends to brew me up some form of herb tea when she's done with her cosmetics (I've got into Rosemary Tea at work lately, makes me all chilled and relaxed).

KIBS tend to serve bitter shandy in one or two jugs and water in the others. Sometimes they sneek some ginger bear out too as a treat. Remember to wash the jugs out well (and make sure they they're sealed inside) or the jug can go mouldy.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Return to “Food and Drink”