mortar and pestle help please

Moderator: Moderators

katiepoppycat

mortar and pestle help please

Post by katiepoppycat »

Have decided I need to invest in a mortar and pestle to take to events. My kitchen one has chrome on the pestle handle which is most inconvenient. A trawl through my books reveals only a picture of a metal pestle the size of a bucket. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures that I can use as a reference? I'm hoping to be able to get a smallish one but I'm not sure which material is most appropriate - wood, granite or marble. Have been racking my brains about this for weeks so any help would be much appreciated.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

What do you mostly pulverise? Wood is fine if you are just bruising a few herbs for cooking, but if you want to reduce cinnamon bark to powder or scare resins into surrender a big stone or metal one is best. I would generally advise getting the biggest and heaviest you can comfortably handle
Last edited by sally on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craig1459
Post Centurion

Post by craig1459 »

We've got one made of ebony which is as tough as. However, I'm still not entirely sure it's appropriate - the wood was available but was used for expensive furniture :?
die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Wayland2002

Post by Wayland2002 »

I've got a cast iron one but can't remember where it came from.

You could always ask Chris Anson if he could make something up.
Last edited by Wayland2002 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

If you have a dig around at your nearest Global wholesalers (where the takeways buy all their ingredients from) you should find granite ones and heavy pottery ones in shapes that are moderatley close to some historic examples. Not always exact, but not too far off certainly. I've got a really big granite one and it terrifies ingredients into a powder 8)

katiepoppycat

Post by katiepoppycat »

It will be for grinding spices although I have invested in some cochineal to play with. Thanks for the advice folks, I will see about finding a lobal warehouse - or go to the local chinese warehouse. Am i looking for just a 'normal' shaped one? And although granite and marble are both okay, any ideas which is more appropriate to WOTR? I'm thinking that there may be some convention i'm not aware of like marble being used by apothecaries only or something. You're all being terribly helpful!

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

Wayland2002 wrote:I've got a cast iron one but can't remember where it came from.

You could always ask Chris Anson if he could make something up.

thanks for the Publicity wayland! 8)