white carrots!

Moderator: Moderators

katiepoppycat

white carrots!

Postby katiepoppycat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 am

Picked this up off the news this morning . .. . .

White carrots to hit shelves
Source: Independent 18-09-2006

A white version of the carrot is set to hit UK shelves soon. The variant, called the White Satin, is reputedly sweeter and juicier than the ubiquitous orange version (which originally became popular in the sixteenth century).

Alas it doesn't say where, but how nice!

Gyrthofhwicce

Re: white carrots!

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:15 pm

katiepoppycat wrote:Picked this up off the news this morning . .. . .

A white version of the carrot is set to hit UK shelves soon. The variant, called the White Satin, is reputedly sweeter and juicier than the ubiquitous orange version (which originally became popular in the sixteenth century).

Sainsburys are stocking them

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 pm

my mu always used to tell me parsnips were white carrots when I was a kid because I liked white carrots but I didn't like parsnip, or so I thought :P

Don't drink with the COSJ's
Don't fight with the COSJ's
Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:55 am

yay - so when do we get the purple ones :D

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Scottish Lady

White carrots

Postby Scottish Lady » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 am

Hope they make it up to Scotland. I used to do some work on a farm that grew carrots commercially and occasionally white and purple carrots would turn up, presumably throwbacks, pity I wasn't re-enacting at the time. They just used to get dumped because no-one wanted them!

Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 am

My friend's family is planning to grow some white and purple carrots this year, I shall have to try a few!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

moosiemoosiegander

Postby moosiemoosiegander » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 pm

I manages to grow some authenti-carrots last year, and very tasty they were too! Although my white carrots were more yellowy in colour, I was rather pleased at my first attempt at carrot growery!

The seeds were from Thompson and Morgan for the purple ones and Suttons for the yellow. I may sow some more this weekend, I think.
Attachments
carrots.jpg

I'm up and dressed, what more do you want?

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Wow, that piccy just makes me want to eat them, mud and all :lol: Due to the deliciously wholesome affect it has on them!

Lidi :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

moosiemoosiegander

Postby moosiemoosiegander » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:01 am

Yay, thanks! I have to say that I'm ever so proud of them! :D

I'm up and dressed, what more do you want?

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:56 am

Tuppence wrote:yay - so when do we get the purple ones :D

I've bought purple carrots from Sainsbury's before

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Lady Wolfshead

Postby Lady Wolfshead » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Sainsbury certainly stock purple carrots and in Scotland too. I think I've seen the white ones here as well, though I've heard differing accounts about how tasty they are.

The purple carrots are great, really pretty, tasty and dye everything purple (fingers, chopping boards, soup)! :D

I got given some seeds for red carrots recently so I'm going to have a go at growing them in a window box.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Postby ViscontesseD'Asbeau » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:04 am

I got some purple carrot seeds last year and think they were Thompson & Morgan. If not, they were one of the major seedsmen and I found them at the local nursery.

For future reference, these people are great:

www.suffolkherbs.com

They have seeds for loads of traditional veggies, native herbs and dye plant seeds, too.

Also these people have old varieties of various veggies and fruit:

www.gardenorganic.org.uk

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:59 pm

We've grown some white carrots this year, and they are very sweet and tasty. They are a creamy white colour, and were bought from Suttons.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Been doing some research for a project I'm working on and for England 14th-late 16th C it would appear you need red, yellow or white carrots (although there is a lively debate concerning the possibility that purple and red were confused.) Contrary to popular opinion there is evidence for orange carrots in Europe before the 17th Century, but no evidence in England. I was interested to see the earlier post about purple and white carrots popping up in commercial batches, would very probably be a throwback but I'm fascinated to hear that a modern commercial hybrid still shows signs of instability.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:13 pm

My neighbour is a keen vegetable gardener and he grows orange carrot every year on a large scale - he told me that sometimes red or white ones will turn up in among the rows. I have grown white carrots for the past three or four years and I get the odd coloured one - I suppose it could be cross-contamination of seed at the suppliers, but maybe there is a mutant gene in there somewhere . . .

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Tue May 04, 2010 9:29 am

Not necessarily any contamination, nor mutant gene (except that a mutation presumably occurred way back in the evolution of the carrot), simply a natural variation in the genes present. The production of colour is in fact usually a recessive gene, (http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/re ... /5/380.pdf "All previously identified white or nonpigmented carrot roots such as those from wild carrot and white derivatives of yellow or orange types have been dominant to the production of pigment, which is recessive."), so you will always get white carrots arising even in a heavily selected population (until the dominant gene is completely eliminated by inbreeding the recessive lines - difficult because there is more than one gene involved), although of course that paper is identifying an exception.

Also http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/pe ... sonid=5186 for what produces different colours and a summary of the origins of each.

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Scottish Lady

Postby Scottish Lady » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Can anyone tell me why my post from 2007 on this subject has been edited and re-quoted above?

Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 am

Some sort of SpamBot. I'll get one of the techie mods to look at it.
Tod (Moderator)

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 am

Damn. And it fooled me and got itself approved.

Thanks for reporting it.
Post deleted.

Fox
Forum Moderator.

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

Gyrthofhwicce wrote:
katiepoppycat wrote:Picked this up off the news this morning . .. . .

Sainsburys are stocking them

Not seen them in my Sainsbugs yet, but will keep my eyes open.

My usual cheat is to use parsnip, as this is a white vegetable & cooks in a similar way to carrot.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:34 am

Not seen any either Paul, quicker to grow your own as seeds are pretty easy to come by (Wilko's and Focus have them along with the Purple kind) If you want nice looking ones then you need to do a lot of soil improvement but I managed some 'rustic' examples this year in the back garden (including one or two contenders for the old 'That's Life' odd shaped vegetable competition)

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 am

Circumstances have prevented me from doing much work in the monastery garden this year - I did make up a batch of marigold ointment and I sowed a few white carrot seed ("White Satin" left over from the previous year) in a raised bed and forgot all about them. Pulled this one up today from the row, it's just over 10 inches long and had started to push itself out of the soil - hence the green tinge around the top. Raised beds mean you have full control over what the soil is like and seem to prevent the dreaded carrot fly getting at the crop, since they circulate very close to soil level.

This one and another are destined for a casserole . . .

DSCF1866.JPG

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:48 am

Brother Ranulf wrote: Raised beds mean you have full control over what the soil is like and seem to prevent the dreaded carrot fly getting at the crop, since they circulate very close to soil level.

Mixed planting with scorzonera seems to keep the wee buggers away too.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Good result that one Brother, I shall definitely be looking to raise the beds in the Medieval plot next year (I have a load of spare topsoil and two compost heaps to go in) I did find that the orange ones I tried in the non authentic patch were much better this year in a bed I had dug several times before planting so I'll be putting a lot more work in on the Authentic plot next year.
(Hopefully my new Mattock will be ready!)

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:36 am

Raised beds eh? Have filed that information away, for when I can tackle the bramble infested patch I laughingly call a garden. And said brambles have been fought into submission. :shh:

Would be nice to have some home grown veg again, not to mention, a nice little training area. :thumbup: :coffee:

P.S. Cheers Captain, a trip to Wilko's could be just the imitus needed & seeds sitting ready in the Welsh dresser would give incentive to get plot sorted.
Last edited by Sir Thomas Hylton on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 am

I put together a total of six large raised beds gradually over a period of two years and I used a combination of general compost and garden topsoil with some fine gravel mixed in, since the soil here is very heavy clay and root crops struggle to grow in it (I gave up trying to grow spuds very early on :thumbdown: ). I used treated wooden boards from our local wood-yard and the sides are about 10 inches deep - I add more compost to each bed each year since the soil "settles" over time and it also adds nutrients.

Everything seems to thrive in these beds and we have enjoyed spring onions, radish, lettuce, turnips, chives, parsley and a wide range of other herbs as well as the carrots. I dry many of the herbs on one of those circular drying racks in a metal-roofed shed during the summer, so we have a supply of dried mixed herbs that lasts all winter.

Anyone who doesn't have a large garden or space for large raised beds could use those deep tubs that look like half a barrel; just make sure there are drainage holes and you can grow carrots or anything else.

Brother Ranulf

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 am

Tatties seem to struggle in my garden too, though the soil is definitely not clay based. Infact, quite a light textured dark soil. Rosemary & Sage loves the soil. Mint hates it. potatoes come up stunted, but sugarsnap peas thrive. And as stated, Bramble seems to run riot.

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 am

You could always train the brambles up something and make wine (I know, any excuse!) The tatties will do better if you really dig the patch over hard three or four times, going down two or three spades depth, and compost heavily. Don't use the spent Mushroom compost as it includes lime which potato isn't keen on. If you then cover the bed with polythene or an old carpet until spring and dig it over again just before you plant you should have more luck. Thinking about where you live the PH of the soil might be to blame so it might be worth digging in some leaf mould as well (Can't hurt). If they still don't work in the ground you could try the stack of old tyres trick, stack two tyres, fill with compost and plant your seed potatoes. When the green plants grow add another tyre and fill with compost just leaving the tops showing. Repeat the process until you have a stack about chest high. You should get potatoes all the way up!

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:35 am

Captain Reech wrote:You could always train the brambles up something and make wine (I know, any excuse!) The tatties will do better if you really dig the patch over hard three or four times, going down two or three spades depth, and compost heavily. Don't use the spent Mushroom compost as it includes lime which potato isn't keen on. If you then cover the bed with polythene or an old carpet until spring and dig it over again just before you plant you should have more luck. Thinking about where you live the PH of the soil might be to blame so it might be worth digging in some leaf mould as well (Can't hurt). If they still don't work in the ground you could try the stack of old tyres trick, stack two tyres, fill with compost and plant your seed potatoes. When the green plants grow add another tyre and fill with compost just leaving the tops showing. Repeat the process until you have a stack about chest high. You should get potatoes all the way up!

Cheers,

Tyre Idea is interesting. Could also be used as a pell post then lol.

Think the main reason the brambles got out of had was a few years ago I did try & train them up to create a bit of a hedge & they went somewhat rampant. Love blackberries, but situation currently is ridiculous. Almost wouldn't be as bad if I could get at them to pick them. Rowan tree is looking nice though :) Not sure where the Elder came from, but that needs to disappear.

Was hoping to get a full week in the garden this week, in what was supposed to have been a week off work, now is simply reduced to a couple of days off instead. Best laid plans eh..!

Oh btw our Wilko's is now officially rubbish, no seeds on sale at all. Couldn't believe it, when I went in there. Will track down what is needed for white carrots etc.

Return to “Food and Drink”