Purple Carrots

Moderator: Moderators

Lady Wolfshead

Purple Carrots

Postby Lady Wolfshead » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Just spent a weekend cooking with purple carrots that I found in Sainsbury's and had some surprising results. Has anyone else cooked with them before and found that they dye everything purple or, in the case of the chicken, bright blue? It was very disturbing (visually, the taste was rather nice) and most of the public thought I had put food colouring in them but I re-checked the packaging when I got home and it confirmed the colour was natural.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:11 pm

wow, I want to try those! Reminds me of the time we cooked Tellytubbies and stained the crockery purple :lol:

Lady Wolfshead

Postby Lady Wolfshead » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:16 pm

The variety was "Purple Haze". They were very pretty. When you cut them through they were mostly purple but with an orange centre. They have also dyed most of my wooden bowls/implements blue. The chicken was the best bit though, most of the group were either giggling madly whilst trying to eat it or had their eyes shut!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:09 am

If you google the 'vegetables by Size' website they have seeds for this, and for one called (something like) atomic purple, and for red carrots. Couldn't see any white ones tho'.
Red cabbage does the same-it is a pH indicator. The more acid the food (the lower the pH), the redder it is-hence nice red pickled cabbage, the more alkaline (higher the pH), the bluer it gets- hence blue cabbage milkshake... :P

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 pm

Purple and white carrots are fairly authenti (thats purple and white seperatey, rather than a root with stripes or spots which would be a lot more entertaining however). Various commercial seeds companies now sell historic variety seeds if you fancy growing some.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:58 am

With a name like "Purple Haze" are you sure you shoudn't be smoking it for it's, ahem "herbal properties man"?

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

emmelinedeheron

Postby emmelinedeheron » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:10 pm

i was quite miffed as i brought some purple haze seeds from a well known seed supplyer (in most garden centres) spent all summer nurturing them and the buggers have come out Orange Tish Bl**dy Tish not impressed

Lady Wolfshead

Postby Lady Wolfshead » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:21 pm

With a name like "Purple Haze" are you sure you shoudn't be smoking it for it's, ahem "herbal properties man"?

Don't think we needed to smoke them, the group were in fits of hysterics as it was! :D

Have spent the last two weeks converting everyone I know to purple carrots though. Friends of mine are now planning an entire purple meal as a result. :)

Emmeline de Heron - Sorry to hear you ended up with orange carrots after all that work. I was thinking of growing my own in a window box for next year but maybe I'll give it a miss now.

Tequila Head

Postby Tequila Head » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:22 pm

My Mum grew white and purple carrots last year, and the purple ones were purple all the way through. I will check were she got the seeds from and post it up for anyone who is interested. The white carrots had a peppery taste, and were rather yummy! Apparently you can also get black and yellow ones too...

One Tequila, two Tequila, three Tequila, floor!

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:01 pm

Yes please on the details of white and purple carrots

Sophia :D

(Wondering what sort of crop she can get in pots)

Tequila Head

Postby Tequila Head » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Oops, I stand corrected as the carrots she grew still had a small orange core, although I'm sure I remember them being a lot more purple than the sainsbury's ones :oops:

The white (Kuttiger) carrots can be ordered from:
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/p ... ts_id=1425

She believes that the Spanish Black carrots are the ones to get:
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/vegetables/index.html

Thomas Etty seem to be a very good source of older variety seeds - in fact I think this is who she went to for Skirret (which unfortunately bolted!) and her custard white marrows.

I must admit I tend to leave the growing part to the experts, although I did dabble very briefly with an allotment plot until I discovered how time consuming and how much hard work it was! I may have to have a go at growing some carrots myself for next year though...

One Tequila, two Tequila, three Tequila, floor!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 am

Purple carrots are in my mind, don't know if I am up or down. Things seem happening don't seem the same. Excuse me while I eat my pottage.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:38 am

Marcus, next time ... don't leave the rye bread to go mouldy :twisted:

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

Gyrthofhwicce

Postby Gyrthofhwicce » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:05 pm

Was on the news t'other day, Sainsburys are now stocking white carrots.

Bear Claw Traders, bringing you the finest in Finnish Reindeer skins and utility and banquet knives. AND NOW, lovely shiney helmets

www.bearclawtraders.co.uk

Lady Wolfshead

Postby Lady Wolfshead » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:56 pm

They do white carrots now too! I'm really starting to like Sainsbury's at the moment. :)

Return to “Food and Drink”