Diary Maid/housewife reference

Moderator: Moderators

sara1459

Diary Maid/housewife reference

Postby sara1459 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:21 pm

Hiya

Could anyone recommend a good reference on the daily life of a diary maid ? I know that there is a tudor reference from 1568 but I would like something abit older. ? Has any made hard cheese when doing living history ? Can it be done ?

Is there a medieval equivalent of a "Mrs Beaton" ? MOPS like to know the routine of a medieval woman.

I have seen references to something call "the hours" - this was a book that one of the Paston women had. Did this include household management ?

Many thanks

Sara

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:35 pm

For household management, there's a French one from the 14thC - Le Menagier de Paris. There's an English translation of a fair bit of it online, but for a printed copy (out of print, I think), search for Eileen Power's translation - The Goodman of Paris. Excellent book. Not specifically dairy, but includes instructions on things like washing the salt out of butter.

It was written by a husband for his new, young wife essentially as an instruction book.

There is a more recent book (and much more easily available) about the Menagier de Paris - again a good book, but not a list of the recipes and instructions. 'Living and Dining in Medieval Paris' by Nicole Crossley-Holland.

Hope that helps!

sara1459

Postby sara1459 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:45 pm

thanks Vicky I shall check out these sources.

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Diary Maid/housewife reference

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:05 pm

sara1459 wrote:I have seen references to something call "the hours" - this was a book that one of the Paston women had. Did this include household management ?

I'd guess that was a book of hours, but I'm not sure of the context of the reference to "the hours."

Some other references:

Seneschaucie and Walter of Henley's Treatise on Husbandry, both from the 1270s; The Anonymous Husbandry (13th century).

The Economic Development of a Norfolk Manor, 1086-1565

Housewives and Servants in Rural England, 1440-1650: Evidence of Women's Work from Probate Documents (which mentions A Dairy Book for Good Housewives, 1588, among other useful bits)

Early modern servants in husbandry revisited

Related, but not specifically mentioning the life or duties of a dairymaid: Master Fitzherbert's Book of Husbandry, 1534.

A history of the county of Shropshire:
Livestock and pastoral farming, Domesday Book to 1300
Livestock and dairy farming, 1540-1750

I think there must be something on dairy products in the Tacuinum Sanitatis, and surely one of those has an illustration dairymaids at work. The BNF have two manuscripts of that online -- I can't get to the one that used to be available from their Gallica search engine, and I don't really have time to page through the other one (though I'll tell you how to get to it -- you go to Mandragore and in the blank that says "Cote" you type in the words Nouvelle acquisition latine 1673 and then you click "Chercher" and then on the next page click "Images").

Two pages on dairy products in the BNF's Medieval Gastronomy online exhibit:
http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/enimag ... /page6.htm
http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/enimag ... /page7.htm

While it's not from before 1568, and really has very little to do with dairy-maids at all, there's also Harrison's description of cattle kept for profit.

Edited to add some more histories of English agriculture (and some other sources added above):
English Farming Past and Present by Lord Ernle
English Husbandry: From the Earliest Times to the Present Day by Robert Trow-Smith
A Short History of English Agriculture by W. H. R. Curtler

And two other sources you might want to look for ...
Women in the Medieval English Countryside: Gender and Household in Brigstock Before the Plague by Judith M. Bennett
"Consolidation of a Medieval Dairy: Cogges Farm Museum" in APT Bulletin, 1988
Last edited by Karen Larsdatter on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:36 pm

Sara, Trish has quite a good book on the life of a medieval women. You should have a word in her shell like.

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Rochester

Postby Rochester » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Isn't a diary maid what John Prescott had a spot of tiffin' with??? :wink:

operor non conicio illud cruentus telum procul mihi

sara1459

Postby sara1459 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 pm

thanks - lots of good stuff. Oh I think the only diary/dairy maid to be tempted to be eaten by John Prescott would be of the frozen kind

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Diary Maid/housewife reference

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Another resource found: Tusser on Cheese, which includes a lesson for Cisley the dairymaid in the Five Hundreth Points of Husbandrie (1573) and a passage from the April section of A Hundreth good Points of Husbandrie (1557).

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:16 pm

Hi Im a living history dairymaid. PM me or email me for info!!!

Annis the..well...dairymaid!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm

by the way, Ill be away from friday for 2 weeks, so i might be slow at replying!!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Return to “Food and Drink”