15th C recipes using rabbit and or hare

Moderator: Moderators

Chickun

15th C recipes using rabbit and or hare

Postby Chickun » Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 am

Hi
Has anybody got anything as described above? I don't really want to give them a go but just want to be able to expand on the subject when a MOP inevitably asks how they ate them after catching / killing. I suppose stew but any others would be nice.
Cheers

Aw, it's not easy, is it?

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu May 25, 2006 10:31 am

Got loads Chickun! Speak to Gavin and I at the weekend (no time right now!). We'll even have some for you to try :lol:

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Thu May 25, 2006 10:53 am

Will do :D

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri May 26, 2006 7:58 pm

Behead and paunch the hare, hang it over a bowl to collect the blood. Hang for 3 days except in thundery weather when it will turn much faster. Reserve the blood to cook the hare in, or to add to the gravy even though it apparently smells foul!

Bunny-gut, lop off head, feet and then skin it, joint, roll portions in flour and cook up either as lean red meat (you can lard it with bacon) or in a pie.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Hraefn

Postby Hraefn » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:25 pm

There are quite a few coney recipts in the medieval cookbook compelation 'Curye In Inglysch' which is well worth investing in. I think Paul Meekins has some copies in stock, well he did at Cressing.

H

This one's an Elizabethan recipe but I had it in transcribed already

To boyle a Conie with a Pudding in his bellie.

Take your Conie and flea him, and leave on the eares, and wash it faire, and take grated bread, sweet suet minced fine, Corrans, and some fine hearbs, Peniroyall, winter Saverie, Parslie, Spinnage or Beetes, sweete Mariojam, and chop your hearbes fine, and season it with Cloves, Mace, and Sugar, and a little Creame, and salt, and yolkes of Egges, and Dates minced fine. Then mingle all your stuffe together, and put it into your rabbets bellie, and sowe it up with a thred. For the broth, take Mutton broth, when it is boyled a litle, and put it in, then put in Gooseberries or els Grapes, Corrans, and sweete butter, Vergious, salte, grated breade, and sugar a litle, and when it is boyled, lay it in a dish with Sops, and so serue it in.

Good with colcannon(with bacon, obviously) and new tatties but only if you're not in front of the punters

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:53 am

Nice one, cheers :D

Return to “Food and Drink”