Who ate all the pies......?

Moderator: Moderators

Joolz

Who ate all the pies......?

Postby Joolz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Here's a bit of period kitchenalia I've just completed - the pie-eaters amongst you should recognise them as Pie Dollies for making pork pies.

They were traditionally turned from fruitwood - I've used apple - and these are sized to make 4" and 6" diameter pies. I'll be using them later in the week.....

They are quite heavy and substantial (particularly the 6" version) - just the thing for a kitchen maid to use to fend off the unwanted attentions of 'is lordship!

Joolz
Attachments
Pie Dollies 1.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

l'Enfer, c'est les autres...

(all my images and designs are copyright)

bugbear

Re: Who ate all the pies......?

Postby bugbear » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Joolz wrote:Here's a bit of period kitchenalia I've just completed - the pie-eaters amongst you should recognise them as Pie Dollies for making pork pies.

They were traditionally turned from fruitwood - I've used apple...

I'm moderately surprised at that - sycamore or beech are (nigh) universal for food use.

BugBear

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Very nice!!

Love raising a pie with those, and a lovely old mould that I bought (copy of a Victorian one) shame I don't like pie! :D

K

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:31 am

"I'm moderately surprised at that - sycamore or beech are (nigh) universal for food use."

In my research for making these, I never found an antique original dolly made from either beech or sycamore. All were from fruitwoods. I'm sure there are examples that aren't fruitwood, but they don't appear to be the most common or representative. Beech and sycamore I use extensively for period flatware (see my other posts) but they weren't appropriate for this project.

I made both 4" and 6" pork pies with these over the last week, and they work very well, quick and easy to use and producing a very appetising looking pie. Unfortunately, they were gobbled up before anyone got round to taking pics.....!

Joolz

Mickey Mouse is dead!

Joolz

Postby Joolz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:47 pm

And here's a little 'montage' I did with a pie made using the 4" dolly. Once filled and cooked, they actually come out around 5"+ in diameter (and, of course, taste lovely...!).
Attachments
Pie Dolly.JPG

Mickey Mouse is dead!

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Spot on...looks delish.

bugbear

Postby bugbear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Joolz wrote:"I'm moderately surprised at that - sycamore or beech are (nigh) universal for food use."

In my research for making these, I never found an antique original dolly made from either beech or sycamore. All were from fruitwoods. I'm sure there are examples that aren't fruitwood, but they don't appear to be the most common or representative. Beech and sycamore I use extensively for period flatware (see my other posts) but they weren't appropriate for this project.

Interesting - sounds like dolly's might well have specific requirements that other food items don't have.

I wonder what they are.

Chopping boards, bread boards, butter hands, rolling pinds are all (normally) made from sycamore, with beech being a slightly cheaper alternative.

BugBear

Return to “Food and Drink”