New business idea, opinions please

Moderator: Moderators

Martin Cowley

New business idea, opinions please

Postby Martin Cowley » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:26 pm

I have just had an idea i would like to air here for opinions,ideas or contructive critism Razz .
Myself and mark are setting up another business to run alonside the present one,it wont be a major earner just a lil sideline to help out.
Imagine a party like Ann summers / tupperware but instead of plastic box's and food storage containers you would turn up at the house and there would be 7 varietys of cheese from smoked chilli to organic welsh camambert,corrosponding wines and a selection of hand made salted meats ,pate etc that all complimented each other,then let the tasting begin,munch munch munch sip,gurgle etc now would anyone like to purchase on the spot the foodstuffs they had tried,whilst letting the wine and conversation loosen their wallets Twisted Evil
All we need is a licence which mark is looking into and stock,which we have.
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted Very Happy
Also the prices would be very reasonable,some of the cheeses we are selling are cheaper than the same brand in some supermarkets so it would not be to expensive

Rampant Wolf

Postby Rampant Wolf » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:59 pm

Good idea -Sister Beth says can she have a portion of meat and two veg or a garlic flavoured(rampant)Rabbit [ not really sure what she meant now :oops: ] maybe SHE IS confusing it with an Ann Summers party

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:04 pm

Martin's Cheese and Wine parties - how very civilised. What's gone wrong? :lol:

No - sounds like a great idea

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Martin Cowley

Postby Martin Cowley » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:02 am

we reckon it will work,we are also working on an idea i had last year , pre ordered xmas hampers which will contain
jerky
scrolls
Pate
Sausages
bacon
nuts n fruit
nice home made biccys
with many other lush things and ABSOLUTLY NO TINNED FRUIT,SPAM etc.
just not done it before so not sure how to go about it LOL :D

david smith

Postby david smith » Wed May 10, 2006 8:12 am

Martin,

Sounds good, but why would you need a license, you're not selling the wine?

After all, you are not trying to get folk so p*ssed they can't drive, you are looking at maybe two / three glasses. Any more than that and you're throwing any potential profits down peeps' throats.

So a bottle per three guests, after that the host can get the corkscrew out, after all it's their party :lol:

Also, on private premises, no money changing hands in regards the wine, can't see how you'd need a license.

Best wishes
David

Martin Cowley

Postby Martin Cowley » Mon May 15, 2006 8:30 am

No m8 we would be selling the wine that would be the point i dont want to be a barman lol

Mrs. Babyjuice

Postby Mrs. Babyjuice » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:38 pm

There's already a couple of enterprises doing similar with gourmet-deli type food and wines. I don't know who or where they are though so it may be worth checking out the competition - if you haven't done so already. Mind you, you could have the niche on jerky-related products going down this particular route. Go for it, you never know...

Maker of fine bespoke copperfoiled stained glass.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
www.devoncomplementarytherapy.co.uk

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:21 pm

pity u cant offer your entire stock at the parties, than just a few cheeses ?

some people might h8 cheese, but love meat and the fact u sell jerky....

licence might only be needed if selling the wine, which itself might be for sale if you get a decent supplier

might be a sideline, but over winter something like this could be very profitable if done the right way :twisted:

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:06 pm

Sounds a damn good idea to me....grand tour of reenactors houses,and you get to make a profit!!
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Bittersweet

Postby Bittersweet » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:31 pm

I know there is a franchise, or something similar, whereby people do this with chocolates. They have 'events' for groups like Brownies/Guides, WI, etc. I don't advocate selling wine to underage bodies but there are other groups, and or parents of, who may be interested.

It seems to work out as a fundraiser for the group and a profit for the trader. Bonus for the trader also being reaching a wider market (advertising).

Why can't life be simple?

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Sounds liek the old tupperware thing, so we could be seeing "jerkyware"

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Bittersweet

Postby Bittersweet » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:52 pm

How about "jerkyfest"? or is that all too 'passee' nowadays?

Why can't life be simple?

Brother Tuck

Postby Brother Tuck » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:17 am

hiya,

bought some of your jack daniels teryaki, not bad but still needs work i think

The greatest philosophers in the world met to discuss all the great unsolved questions of the world. and one question had them stumped

What Exactly is The Purpose of a Rubber Duck?

Martin Cowley

Postby Martin Cowley » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 pm

in what way ? :) though being the one that sells out first each time i may not change it though,but what would you suggest?

Norbury's Wench

Postby Norbury's Wench » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:33 pm

:D

Had some of your jack daniels teryaki at Cosmeston and thought it was one of the nicest things I have ever tasted! Fantastic!

I think your business idea is really good, there are partys for everything now a days. Maybe if you have some trusty friends in different parts of the UK, once you have it established, they could do parties and sell hampers for you. With the hampers, if your friends contacted big companies where they live, in my area for example JCB, Britiannia, SM District Council, you could pick up some orders as people are always looking for different ideas for pressie and once they tasted it, they'd be hook!

Just a thought.......... :D

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!!!

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:30 pm

Bittersweet wrote:I know there is a franchise, or something similar, whereby people do this with chocolates. They have 'events' for groups like Brownies/Guides, WI, etc.

That would be Chocoholics, the group who do that, well they used to, dont know if they still do.

Also, there is Hotel Chocolat, who have a "chocolate tasting club", where you pay by direct debit for a box of chocolates every month, or every quarter, for a selection of new chocolates, plus you can buy the ones you like from them.

I think it sounds like a cracking idea, jerkyware parties :D

If you get the alcohol license, why not do mead? It's not something I can say I'd ever had before meeting re-enactor's. I know the link was cheese and wine party style, but if it's only for tasting, I dont think the mead would interfere as you'd be getting a sweet/savoury contrast between the cheese and mead.

thats my 2p anyway :)

Don't drink with the COSJ's
Don't fight with the COSJ's
Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

Abigail

Postby Abigail » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:12 pm

I know this is a bit late as a reply Martin, but if you are still looking into this, I do the same thing but with skincare and makeup. People love that fact that I go to their houses and they get to try before they buy rather than just ordering blind from a catalogue or website. The company I work with are members of the Direct Selling Association (DSA), you might want to check their site, www.dsa.org for more info. Hope that helps!

Return to “Food and Drink”