Cheese and bacteria!

Moderator: Moderators

Scraggles

Postby Scraggles » Sun May 21, 2006 9:46 am

same as making wine, not using the right yeast gets any yeast or bacteria which genrally spoil the wine and make it not worth doing

bread the same., glad u have been able to find the right starter cultures 8)

sara1459

Postby sara1459 » Sun May 21, 2006 6:15 pm

The bacteria in unpastueruised milk respires using anaerobic respiration ie as yeast does. We do the same when we run too quickly ie no oxygen. The bacteria produces lactic acid - (as we do - this causes aches in our muscles.)

The acidity produced by the bacteria causes it to dissociate into protein and water as milk is a colloid of large proteins in water. Acidity can also be produced using vinegar or lemon juice. Rennet also has the same impact.

Pasteurised milk can only get bacteria externally. I made some cheese using white wine vinegar and 2 litres of whole milk and strained it through some muslin. Like mozarella initially then we squeezed it some more and it became like philly. You need to really squeeze out all the water.

Does adding other bacterial cultures help ? I am very reluctant to use unpastuerised milk.

Bobfrance

Using other cultures

Postby Bobfrance » Wed May 24, 2006 10:24 pm

By using another culture you are over-riding the effects of pasteurisation. I am not sure whether it is a problem or not hence not giveng to pregnant ladies and the young and elderly! I'm sure I fit in the latter bracket!

Brother Tuck

Postby Brother Tuck » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:19 am

does it matter what type of acid is used, did some googling last night, lemons, limes and oranges are citric acid, where as blackberries and strawberries are a different type will the reaction still occur????

The greatest philosophers in the world met to discuss all the great unsolved questions of the world. and one question had them stumped

What Exactly is The Purpose of a Rubber Duck?

Ace Rimmer

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:01 pm

You could just go for a long run or bike ride, and as soon as you get back, cut your leg and let the blood drip in ,lactic acid for free :P

I've found rather accidentally whilst trying to make a cheese sauce one day, that if you heat the milk on a pan, add a little cheese, and a knob of butter, and then turn your back for about 5 seconds, the sauce miraculously seperates into curds and whey, with a little layer of fat on top. I can't guarantee the outright success of this, but it was nice at the time :D

I was going to say something productive, but I've completely forgotten what I was going to say now, I got side tracked looking up diseases of the pancreas.

Doh!

Don't drink with the COSJ's
Don't fight with the COSJ's
Don't sing with the COSJ's

You will lose.......

lucy the tudor wrote: I think men win due to longevity.

Return to “Food and Drink”