Food suppliers

Moderator: Moderators

ceilteach_kitten

Food suppliers

Postby ceilteach_kitten » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Can anyone recommend suppliers of medieval/ Tudor foods? I'm thinking of putting together hampers as Christmas gifts so looking for suggestions re suppliers (preferably with online shops!) of sweets, cakes, drinks etc.
Thanks!

TheBirds

Re: Food suppliers

Postby TheBirds » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to cook it yourself? I think the idea is great and you can find so many recipes online for medieval food...maybe you can take a look at this site, they are even differentiating between medieval foods in different centuries...just an idea. I did not find any online shop... :(

If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday. ~Pearl Buck

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Basically you will have to make things yourself - there is as far as I know no one apart from Martin who does the jerked meat, fruit leathers and some other things who is offering Medieval/Tudor stuff for sale. You could probably find someone to make it but it would cost you a fair bit so you are better off making your own.

Items like Marchpane (the ancestor of modern marzipan) are very easy to make, as is quince cheese (the original marmelade) as it is the quince season. There is also a concoction called Chardedate which is relatively simple. Or you could candy some orange peel and toss it in ginger (should really be seville orange peel, but sweet might do it, recipe for candying peel in honey in Playne Delit, details below). If you are brave you could also try doing some sugar work or make sugar plate. If you can get hold of 'All the King's Cooks' by Peter Brears there are some modern versions of a number of sweet recipes as well as savoury ones for the early Tudor period along with proper historical background.

If you are nervous of trying to work from Medieval recipes then you could also try and get hold of this book or this one.

Hope this helps.

Sophia

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

TheBirds

Postby TheBirds » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27 pm

And maybe, if you decided to cook all by yourself, you could use the recipes of Sophia, add something of your own to it, take some photos of your meals and create some flyers for your guests? I just like the idea...I mean it would be great as some kind of lasting memory? And there are good online printing possibilities on the internet. Just an idea?!

If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday. ~Pearl Buck

Return to “Food and Drink”